nVidia Announces New Console At CES, Named "Shield", Plays 4K Video

Android powered, 72 core Tegra 4. Boom.

Uh oh. NVidia have just upset the apple cart and have announced a brand new portable console at CES.

The “Shield” runs on pure Android (without any bloatware) and will play games from Google’s own Store alongside a special NVIDIA TegraZone store – Shield runs off a Tegra 4, with 72 cores, with battery life of 5-10 hours.

It’s easily the most powerful mobile console (by a mile) and can play 4K videos and even drive a 4K TV set, making it well and truly future proof.

It’s got a proper controller shape, has a 5 inch 720p screen (with 294ppi Retina-like display) with multitouch. It even has Micro SD support, HDMI out, USB etc.

It’s a monster. It’s out Q2.

1. DuffyBox

Whoa! Pretty huge announcement so early on, 2013 is off to a cracking start. I suppose the factor that will determine the Shield’s ultimate success is the games, will be interesting to see how nVidia compete with big 1st party exclusives like Metal Gear, WipeOut and Uncharted.

Presumably being made by nVidia should provide at least a smidgen of familiar ground for various PC developers, maybe along with Android this will allow the indie scene to really thrive for the first time on a purpose built mobile console. Exciting stuff!

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 07:31.
  2. Kris Lipscombe
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Mar 2009

Certainly interesting and it looks rather cool. Not quite sure how comfy it would be though, that shape looks slightly odd.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 07:38.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

I thought it would be a bit dodgy to hold too, but then at first glance a PlayStation controller looks as uncomfortable as a Lego loo seat so I guess we’ll have to wait for a hands on. Spec wise, it’s astounding.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 07:49.
      • Kris Lipscombe
        Team TSA: Writer
        Since: Mar 2009

I think it’s because the centre of gravity looks like it should be somewhere really uncomfortable for prolonged gaming. You’re right though, won’t know till someone gets their hands on it.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 08:24.
      • 3shirts

Yeah, it looks like it’ll be very front heavy but I’m sure they wouldn’t make a mistake like that. Course that might mean they have to ballast the other end making the whole thing heavier than it needs to be.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:46.
  3. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Pretty cool, but it needs some proper games support to succeed. For some reason I just can’t see this show up in stores here in Norway though.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 07:54.
    • 3shirts

Running Android will sort that out. There are already people buying android devices for the games alone and with the Ouya out in March, Android already represents a nice gaming ecosystem for NVidia to start with giving them time to launch some specific titles through their own store.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:48.
  4. joushikijin
    Since: Feb 2010

I think the device will flop. There seems to be no research done. Its awkward to touch a screen that is erected like the “Shield’s” one. No additional touch controls? The device looks incredible unattractive, similar to a Chinese knock off, arguable worse than the first Nintendo DS or 3DS. I could have been genuinely a great device if you didn’t choose this awkward clamshell design. I think the Ouya hits the sweet spot for Android devices, even without a dedicated screen.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 08:00.
    • 3shirts

Ouya is a much more sensible product because it’s whole ethos is bringing together the low cost, open nature of mobile apps with the core focus of playing on a TV with a controller.

This seems to be reinventing the wheel a bit having cheap mobile apps on a touch screen (we have those on phones and tablets) and more expensive full games (like Vita or DS).

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:51.
  5. avengerrr
    Since: Oct 2012

Astounding bit of kit. But what kind of support will this get I wonder. With that kind of power it could host full blown games easily I’m sure except what it will do for media and memory I do not know.

The thing sure looks a brick though. I can’t really imagine wanting to carry a heat sink, controller and pretty substantially thick screen (Compared to 3ds/vita) around with me no matter what. Although it would certainly make awesome local co-op when taking a controller around to my friends.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 08:02.
  6. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Android with things like Chrome, Gmail, Magazines a whole eco-system of stuff + Google Play & its high tempo release schedule + Tegrazone games (which are on Play anyway, it’s just curated for titles with Tegra optimisations like enhanced water effects or whatever) + emulators + physical controls. If the price of the console is right I’m in.

Cheap games like NfS Most Wanted 64p Vs £35+ on other handhelds. At the most games are around a fiver!

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 08:18.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Only thing I’d rather of had was a Vita-like form factor

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 08:22.
    • damoxuk
      Since: May 2011

Most Wanted on Android/ios isn’t the same as the Vita full open world version though is it :)

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 09:36.
      • Gamoc

Nope, not even close.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 10:25.
      • djhsecondnature

No, but doesn’t stop many from making the comparison.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 10:46.
      • Alex C
        One for all.

Doesn’t have to be. It’s a much better 69p game on iOS than it is a £40 on Vita.

MUCH better.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 10:49.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

No, it was a much better game with much better graphics and for pennies.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:24.
      • 3shirts

I prefer it. I found the PS3 version really dull and samey and the open world felt largely pointless. It wasn’t the fun of Underground or Burnout to tool around and felt like a means to get between races/cars or something we had to do to lose the cops after an event.
        I actually enjoy the mobile version on my Nexus 7 more and in terms of value for money it’s night and day.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:54.
    • damoxuk
      Since: May 2011

Yes but it’s not the same game Alex. Even with the price comparison it’s not Apples and Oranges.

I have both versions and both are fun but the Vita game is by far better. Oh and £40 really – it’s £20 :D

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 11:11.
      • Alex C
        One for all.

It’s not the same game, no. But MW on iOS is great, and it costs pennies. That’s the issue Vita has, and it’s something that Shield will satiate.

I’m not sure how anyone can say that the Vita version is £20 better.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 11:43.
      • KeRaSh

As far as I know they showed the PC version of NFS: MW (and AC3) streamed to the device from a gaming PC, so you would get the full experience.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 12:05.
      • jimmy-google

I’d pay the extra to £20 to be able to use analogue sticks and buttons and have a bigger screen that I’m also not obscuring with my fingers.

I’ve never seen a mobile game worth spending money on when there are enough lite free games to play.

I expect something more when I pay for a game and that’s from the hardware and as much as the software.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 12:48.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

How does your hand obscure a game on Shield?

I merely mentioned NfSMW because it’s a title available on both platforms that highlights the price difference, obviously the game’s are different, the cheaper better looking one is suitable to be played whilst mobile on the mobile device and the other is best played whilst sat on your sofa, probably in front of your PS3 and a huge TV.

Then with things like BlOps Declassified & Resistance Burning Skies Vs the likes of N.O.V.A. 3, ShadowGun & Dead Trigger 2 etc… it’s clear the Vita has no discernible advantage, in fact it has the disadvantage of extremely high software pricing, compounded by almost non-existent hardware sales which will make it difficult for non-Sony developers to commit to.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:36.
      • jimmy-google

On iOS. We don’t know what cost these games will be or if the prices will be higher to adapt them for this console. If there’s no difference from the phone version then why buy another console to play them?

How much is likely to cost to buy the console when there isn’t the revenue streams from the games to subsidise the console? My Note was 600 at release, even with the phone parts taken out you’re still looking at an expensive bit of kit.

“suitable to be played whilst mobile on the mobile device”, so not that good for a device that looks less mobile than a vita then. Streaming will only be worth while at home where you have fast enough speeds when you could use your PC anyway. Otherwise you’ll most likely use your phone to play your android games when you’re out and about. I really can’t see the point of this device.

You can make bad games on any system. I’d take Golden Abyss, Liberation and LBP over anything on iOS or Android.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 14:03.
  7. Amphlett

Bam! They’ve certainly entered the handheld console market in a big way. It looks impressive and the specs are high. There are a couple of hurdles to jump first though –
    1. The price needs to be right as no one will buy a machine which is over priced (apart from anything preceded with ‘i’, etc.) and…
    2. Games support which will likely be a chicken and egg situation where the devs wont develop until there’s a big enough install base and vice versa.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 08:21.
  8. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

impressive specs looks horrible.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 08:29.
  9. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

That looks pretty awesome!

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 08:30.
  10. Klart
    Since: Jun 2010

So that’s PS4, XBOX720, a Valve console and an NVIDIA console in the next year or so. Who said consoles are dead?

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 08:31.
    • trollmonster
      Since: Jan 2010

Ouya as well!

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 10:07.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

Even before seeing Tegra 4, I really thought Ouya should have waited to get past Tegra 3, obviously that’s cheap as chips but over the life of the console something like the Tegra 4 would be too and the pay off, especially when amplified on a 46″ TV would have been worth it.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:37.
      • KeRaSh

Tegra 4 would have been nice but I guess they had to go with what was available then and using a Tegra 4 would have raised the praice even higher for something that many people believed was a scam. Ouya 2 maybe? :)

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:59.
    • cam the man

I think I’ll save my money for the PS4.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:34.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

same here nothing will stop me getting one.

Comment posted on 08/01/2013 at 00:11.