PSN Now Planned To Be Down Until Tomorrow Morning

Still underway. Has been for a while. Will be for a while longer.

The PlayStation Network is free. That is, you don’t pay to play online, you don’t pay for access to week-ahead game demos and you don’t pay to join party conversations. It’s free. Even if you’re a Plus subscriber, the actual network is free. That’s a great selling point whichever way you look at it.

It is, however, down quite a bit. Well, not recently, it’s been alright for a few months, but there was a period last year when it was almost weekly and today – yeah – today’s been a bit of a mess.

Of course, some can sign in just now and play just fine. Others can’t. Nobody can access the Store. PlayStation Plus can’t verify purchases so certain games won’t work from the XMB. Nobody can access Account Management. I’d suspect that last one’s not such a big deal.

It was supposed to be up and running by 8AM this morning. It now looks like it’ll be tomorrow morning, a full 24 hours or so after it was meant to be up. “Unfortunately PSN maintenance is still underway and service is now not expected to resume before tomorrow morning,” said PlayStation. “We’ll update again soon,” they said.

It’s OK, all this will be sorted next-gen.

1. razz1909
    Since: Feb 2011

Maybe it’s for counter strike go?

Comment posted on 18/01/2013 at 22:51.
  2. Lyts1985
    Since: Jan 2009

The person who was supposed to come in and press the big ‘ON’ button couldn’t make it due to snow… It’ll be back next week some time :-)

Comment posted on 18/01/2013 at 23:52.
  3. TSBonyman

I’m generally always signed-in so i didn’t realise that some PS+ games required a live connection in order to to play them.
    I wonderif they’ll fix the bit where my Vita friends don’t show up properly on my PS3 friends list. Speaking of which, i wonder what rich features we might expect on the PS4 friends list/gamer profile… and if psn will be able to cope with it all.

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 00:16.
  4. tantalus_blank
    Since: Nov 2008

Man, if I wanted to play something singleplayer right now and couldn’t because of this – I’d be pissed. Kinda like that time I wanted to play Warhawk locally and couldn’t due to lack of internet

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 01:21.
  5. Carl
    Since: Jan 2009

Been extended again until 5am Eastern Time (i have no idea what time that is GMT)

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 02:19.
  6. Kaminari
    Since: Jan 2010

Being signed in doesn’t warrant that network gaming will work. I was signed in yesterday, yet couldn’t play any online game (ME3, U3, U2, Brotherhood, Revelations) except for Journey — go figure.

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 02:41.
  7. funnyman112
    Since: Jan 2013

ITS kinda hard to play single player bo2 when you alrady bea the game

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 03:36.
  8. donny333
    Since: Jan 2013

Really thinking about saying screw psn I have a long time player with all psn products and even those its free I would rather buy and pay for agaming unit and service and know it will up to pay when I feel the need to play I do not think with all the gamersthat play on the psn will stay with psn after the hacked network two years ago and being down for months and even now it seems psn still hasnt gotten their act together you would a multi million dollar company would have better products and a server that could hold up to all the people online at one time you can look at most of the games that have came out for the psn anywhere from a major lag or the psn freezing up do to poor ways that they build their gaming units I have bought 3 ps3 in the last two years do to laging and freezing up the hard drive which truely sucks when a person spends 299.99 per ps3 but when you ask the network to contact a person for help nobody is to help I’m among few hundred or even thousand people that are saying if the ps3 is having this much trouble on the server now what kind of trouble will the ps4 have thinking really about saying f*ck playstation network and spend my money on xbox and be done with all the problems.

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 04:37.
    • tonycawley
      Pint! Pint!

Jesus christ how is anyone supposed to read this? Not a single punctuation mark! Talk about a wall kf text!
      Perhaps while you can’t play online you should consider using the time to study how to write English?

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 08:58.
      • Nickboss1
        Since: Mar 2010

Dontbesohardontheman :)

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 09:05.
    • bunimomike

Please use some punctuation and paragraphs when commenting. Not only is a block of text (esp. this size) an eyesore but most people will struggle to even want to read it and miss out on anything good you have to say.

Thanks. :-)

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 09:12.
  9. endlesscupsoftea
    Since: Oct 2008

Play tv is mucking about on my ps3 and I’m wondering if its got anything to do with the psn downtime. Sadly it’s stuck on Channel 5!

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 08:17.
    • The Lone Steven
      Never heard of him.

You poor man! No-one should be forced to watch Channel 5. :-( Can we start a kickstarter so that Cupsoftea can get a TSA cake from us? :p

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 08:27.
  10. duff_em_up_dave
    Since: Sep 2011

And breathe.

Comment posted on 19/01/2013 at 08:20.