Leak Claims PS4 Controller Features Capacitive, Multi-touch Touch Pad

Just like we said at the turn of the new year, then.

Remember when we talked about the PS4 controller back on the 3rd of January, and suggested it will probably have a touch pad of some sort?

It looks like we weren’t too far off the ball. In fact, we were pretty much spot on. Lucky guess? Coincidence? We’ll let you decide on that one.

“Whilst we don’t think there’ll be a touch screen on the new controller, there might be a touchable surface, populated with the same little icons that the Vita’s rear touch pad is,” we said.

“It could be on the back, in the middle, but it could also be on the front. If it is, this’ll expand the potential control possibilities without forcing an entirely new change of direction.”

“Try it: hold a Dual Shock 3 – your thumbs can just about reach that bit in the middle with the PS button that does nothing of any merit during a game other than to bring up the XMB. Imagine if that area around it was a little square that you could interact with, pulling apart, swiping, twisting. It’s a gearbox on Gran Turismo, a weapon changer on God Of War, a sniper zoom in Killzone.”

Well, it appears that’s exactly the case, at least on the current dev kits.

According to Kotaku, who appear to have a considerable leak of “90 PDFs”, there’s a “capacitive touch pad” exactly like the one on the Vita, that can recognise two-point multi touch. It’s also clickable.

The leak also points to tilt correction, vibration, and a “share” button.

There’s also, separate from this particular leak, the notion of fully integrated Move technology. It’s also possible that PSN accounts can be tied to individual controllers…

For more on what we want to see from the PS4, click here.

1. kjkg
    Since: Apr 2010

PSN on controllers is a strange but nifty feature. Did/does the Wii not have something like that? Your Mii can be stored in the controller.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 10:28.
    • uncharted86
      Since: Jan 2012

I don’t think they mean like that. I just think it means that when you play couch co-op the PS4 will allow on an OS level each player to sign in with their account so they all can earn trophies. Just like some games on PS3 on software level allows it.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:30.
  2. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Seeing as i loathe all touchscreen tech, i will end up hating the PS4 controller and can see myself accidentally pressing the touchscreen thus causing me to die on a boss that i’m able to defeat thus earning the game a few months on the shelf or taking it out on a random TSAer. I really hope there will be a DS4 for people like me. Oh god, if it’s linked to PSN, we won’t be able to play the games 90% of the time due to SCEE’s habit of doing maintance at random/goingdown/cocking up.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 10:32.
    • kjkg
      Since: Apr 2010

I don’t think maintenance will cause issues. It’s more, if you came round to my house, bring your controller and we can play coop with your PSN and mine. It’s like a memory card for PSN I guess.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:07.
      • colmshan1990
        Since: Apr 2009

Is that not what a sign-in ID and password does already?

All you have to do is add them as a User on the PS3.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 12:17.
      • Kevatron400
        Drake, baby.

True, but that’s a pretty major hassle when comparing it to Xbox’s sign in style.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 12:22.
      • salvodaze
        Since: Dec 2012

That makes sense.
        Also, Steven, I’m pretty sure you’d be able to disable touch controls on pretty much any game, as is mostly possible with the Vita.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 13:11.
    • bunimomike

Staggering overreaction, Steven! The rest of the controls are still on the damn thing, you muppet! :-)

It’ll be there to augment things.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 13:50.
  3. Takyu
    Since: Aug 2012

I think there was also a mention of multiple accounts being able to be used at once on one console, so multiple people can get trophies, continue to progress their own character during co-op games etc… essentially what the 360 has done since release! (Still, nice to see Sony recognising that it’s a good idea!)

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 10:32.
    • Kennykazey
      Since: Mar 2010

Yes, the accounts won’t be tied to specific controllers, but when a controller connects, the player selects an account. Like on the 360.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 10:58.
      • jimmy-google

Doesn’t LBP already do this?

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:08.
      • kjkg
        Since: Apr 2010

Yip and a couple of other games. If it becomes built into the framework of the hardware though, it will surely be easier to implement it into the software. And that’s the hope I guess. All coop games on split screen allowing this would be a great feature to have.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:15.
      • jimmy-google

Totally agree. That was Sony’s biggest mistake, making too many things optional to developers. Get these sort of features in at the ground level would be very welcome

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 13:58.
  4. philzy85

The clip on mini keyboard makes the controller awkward to hold and not very balanced so hopefully it will be something built into the pad, dont fix what aint broke

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:31.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

pretty sure it’ll be right in the centre.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 12:02.
    • bunimomike

Hopefully Sony won’t do the “I think we must include this for the new generation of gamers” but then half-arse it with such atrocious compromise that it’s crap from day one. Sony are good at things like this, I swear! :-\

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 13:54.
  5. TSBonyman

There’s a touch pad on the official ps3 txtpad – but aside from the browser it’s never really been supported, not that it was that good anyway.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:36.
    • cam the man

I’ve had a official ps3 txtpad for a couple of years but never used the touch pad option.
      As long as the developers etc make use of it on the controller I think it will be very useful.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 13:50.
  6. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

The share button sounds ominous, I’m thinking more shoved-down-your-throat social networking. The Vita has it right, the social apps can be avoided if you want and there’s no physical social buttons to promote having friends. I prefer to have no friends. Bah humbug.

The touch pad, however, sounds great. I really like the Vita’s back, my laptop has a similar textured multi-touch pad which feels great and is easily cleanable when you get manly finger sweat all over it. That’s practical, cheap and useful gadgetry!

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:43.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

I meant manky, not manly!!

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:44.
      • double-o-dave
        Since: Nov 2008

Haa! My girlfriend gets hot at the thought of me getting manly finger sweat as it only means one thing!
        Thats if I had a girlfriend… Im just saying.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:54.
  7. KeRaSh

I can’t see a touch pad in the middle of the controller being of any use. I can already zoom with the press of a shoulder button without having to let go of the sticks. It’s awkward enough to press the PS button so any touch input would be a streatch and not something intuitive. It’ll be even worse if it’s on the back like the one on the Vita. I only ever touch it by accident.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:52.
  8. Bilbo_bobbins

Not sure what to think about this really, sounds good but its for devs to implement it, and what would it be used for in most games?

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 11:57.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

Just some ideas I had.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 12:03.
      • xdarkmagician

I appreciate you sharing your ideas, and I do think youre close with your guess but, moving your thumbs off the sticks and to a touchpad where the XMB button is, is kinda clumsy. It requires you to reach over the analog sticks to swipe the touchpad, in a fast paced situation the odds of having your thumbs accidentally move a stick are too great. imagine zooming in on a snipper rifle or trying to shift gears and having your thumbs accidentally move the sticks causing your character or car to quickly turn. If theres going to be a touchpad on the front of the controller it should be below the sticks slightly to the side, so you just need to move your thumb down (away from the analog, not over it) to access it. but thats just the opinion of my fat clumsy thumbs. ;-)

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 22:41.
  9. TSBonyman

The only reasonable use i’ve found for a touch pad in a core game so far is zooming the camera in Uncharted – it’s not ideal but it works and it’s only there because of a lack of shoulder buttons. I’m really not interested in touch controls in my core games – i’ll tolerate it on Vita to an extent due to the lack of sufficient buttons but i’m not really interested in replacing instant button-presses with some fudgy touch gestures which don’t give me any tactile feedback.
    Please devs make all and any touch features in PS4 OPTIONAL!

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 12:49.
    • DirtyHabit

Agreed. Not too worried about it TBH. Think/hope it’ll be a flash in the pan.

Remember when the Sixaxis DS3 controller was going to be the next big thing? Don’t think I’ve used them since Heavenly Sword! Oh yeah and flower…
      Of the hundreds of games over the last 5 years they’re the only two that spring to mind that were actually any good or worth using.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 13:19.
      • DirtyHabit

* Sixaxis DS3 controller motion controls were…

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 13:24.
  10. Omac_brother
    Since: Nov 2011

As I have only ever been able to score goals on FIFA using the Vita touch pad, anf am totally inept at scoring with a normal controller, I am all for this.

Comment posted on 24/01/2013 at 12:53.