Japanese Sources Price PS4, Reaffirm Gaikai In Place Of Cell

But no backwards compatibility.

PS4 controller concept by hesit8in. Most sources expect the controller to have a touch surface in the centre, something we discussed some time prior to the rumours surfacing.
Japanese daily Asahi Shimbun has priced the still unannounced PlayStation 4, estimating that the console – expected to be announced in just under two weeks – will cost 40,000 yen.

That’s about £275, although there’s no chance the two price points will simply match up like that come release.

The PlayStation 3 was wildly expensive, and there’s no way that Sony will want to attempt to repeat that mistake at launch. For reference, the more expensive of the two configurations was 60,000 yen at the PS3′s launch in Japan.

It was £425 here in the UK.

The paper also reiterates what we’ve heard before – that the PS4 will launch in Japan and the US this year, with no mention of Europe, and that the Dual Shock 4 will feature a touch pad in the centre. Of course, they could just be repeating previously heard rumours.

In related news, Japanese business paper Nikkei points to Gaikai as being fundamental to the PS4′s infrastructure, and says that the new console will not feature the Cell chip, making backwards compatibility a most definite “no” if true. It’s possible that Sony will leverage Gaikai’s streaming tech in some way, though.

Sony bought Gaikai for $380 million last year.

Sources: Polygon, Asahi, Gematsu.

1. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Gaikai will almost certainly be used in that way although it will be the first time older games have been streamed to better hardware rather than amazing games being streamed to relatively ‘dumb’ hardware.
    I wonder if Sony will be able to get third parties on board, something they usually struggle with.

Of course this is ignoring that a PS4 would be redundant to SOME people if Sony made a Gaikai client for the PS3 or SmartTVs/Blu-ray players and simply streamed PS4 games to that.
    The relationship between Gaikai & PS+ will be interesting too.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 09:10.
    • Dom El
      Since: Mar 2012

Not the first time if you count PS1 games being streamed to a Vita!

Having played a relatively large amount of Onlive, the system at least presents an interesting opportunity. I think free games streaming with Plus would make it a pleasant bonus, and if the rumours about the 720′s DRM/internet connection are true it’s yet another reason to choose Sony.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 10:33.
  2. Dazbobaby
    Since: Aug 2010

So pay the extra for a GaiKai subscription and get backwards compatibility, not a bad idea for those who don’t want to pay for extra hardware costs upfront.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 09:11.
  3. parryman
    Since: Apr 2012

Hoping the GaiKai element will be the PS+ lure, since there won’t really be a IGC to push.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 09:14.
  4. KeRaSh

A PS4 around 300€ would be amazing. I’d be willing to pay up to 400€. Anything beyond that and they would need a Final Fantasy launch title to convince me.
    As for Gaikai: I really like the idea but I’m currently restricted by a 3Mbit connection so it’d be pretty pointless for me.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 09:24.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Yeah, you need a stable connection of 5mbps for HD streaming, the stability of the connection rather than solely the bandwidth is more important though.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 10:14.
      • enroene
        Since: Nov 2010

I agree

Comment posted on 10/02/2013 at 13:32.
    • Paranoimia

I see the excellent value in PS+ for new users or those who don’t buy games new on release, but it has little value for me. Streaming old games wouldn’t add to the value either, for me at least, as I’ve no interest in them.

Comment posted on 11/02/2013 at 16:23.
  5. JBoo
    Banned
    Since: Oct 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 09:25.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

PS3 certainly won’t happen, it would require the PS3 innards to be in the PS4 as well as the PS4 innards, that just won’t happen.

PS1 could easily happen via software emulation, PS2 probably couldn’t though looking at how variable the emulation of PS2 titles are on PC.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 10:18.
      • Alex C
        One for all.

yeah, no way will PS4 play PS3 games.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 13:17.
  6. Bilbo_bobbins

Price wise, I’m in if its around £300, any more and I will be thinking twice about it. I hope backwards compatibility is only an extra cost with P+ or something, I don’t want to pay more money for that when I can just play my old games on the ps3 etc.

Interesting times, I hope the 20th really gives a good insight.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 09:48.
    • cam the man

I’m planning to keep my PS3 for the games I already own so too don’t want to pay extra for what I’ve already got.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 13:46.
    • kjkg
      Since: Apr 2010

£300 is my limit too Bilbo. More than that and I just have to say no. Hopefully not.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 15:29.
    • RedStarGlow

I agree. Besides the developers would probably want the opportunity to re-release the new PS4 version of the PS3 classic. I would guess the PSN, PS1, and minis would port right over.

Any word if we will see a new memory card format with the PS4?

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 15:33.
  7. jimmy-google

As long as it doesn’t cost more than a mid-range iPad then I don’t mind – assuming it’s not replaced every 6 months

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 10:14.
  8. 3shirts

In pure numbers, taking the conversion of 60,000 yen to £425 (from the PS3 launch price), the 40,000 yen this is set to cost works out as £283.33 so I can see Sony launching it at £299 in the UK.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 10:15.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Taxes, both at EU trade tariff level and of course VAT.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 10:20.
      • Dom El
        Since: Mar 2012

I guess that depends on how close to the bone Sony are planning to sell the console. They’ve always sold console hardware at a loss to begin with, but with the figures they’re posting is that likely?

If they can come in anywhere between £300 and £350 though count me in!

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 10:38.
  9. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

Well if Sony actually get some solid coders aboard they could make a PS3 emulator easily. Although I dare say everyone will be prepared to keep their PS3s anyway.

Still can’t see the point of a touch-pad on the front. I’ll be surprised if they turn out not to be rumours.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 11:14.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

PS3 won’t be emulated in software until at least the generation after.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 13:18.
  10. TSBonyman

Access to my older games is important to me – i’ve spent most of last week playing some of my earliest psn purchases even though i have a bunch of new games to play. I will never ever pay to stream games, especially ones i already own, so it looks like i will have to hang on to my ps3 if i buy a ps4 and still want access to all my purchased content.
    The price point fit’s in with the €400 i was expecting so that seems reasonable.
    Lot’s more details to find out yet though.

Comment posted on 07/02/2013 at 11:19.