Hotline Miami Coming To PS3 and PS Vita

Indie darling heading to PlayStation platforms.

Indie hit Hotline Miami is heading to both the PlayStation 3 and the PS Vita this spring, Devolver have announced this afternoon. The title was a huge hit when it launched on the PC last October, getting rave reviews from the press at the time. Dutch developer Abstraction Games are doing the port – it’s assumed the PlayStation versions will be identical.

“Our team have been fans of Hotline Miami from the very start and we are absolutely thrilled to have such a brilliant game launch on the PlayStation platform,” said Shahid Ahmad, Senior Business Development Manager, SCEE. “The intense visuals and pulsing soundtrack are perfectly suited for PS3 and PS VIta and we can’t wait for PlayStation fans to see what Hotline Miami is all about.”

The game will be Cross-buy, so you only need to pay for it once.

1. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

I can only hope the PS4 will kill off this stupid, lazy obession for retro looking games.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 15:21.
    • jimmy-google

I’ve never wanted my games to look “retro”. It’s fine if that’s how the original version was like Monkey Island but otherwise they just look awful.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 15:24.
    • Avenger
      Since: Oct 2012

Can’t help agreeing with you. The amount of retro titles in the last 12 months is crazy. I don’t mind MGS remasters and stuff like that.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 15:35.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

I don’t see how it’s stupid or lazy – you create with whatever you’ve got and you use whatever style you think fits.

Is an indie filmmaker lazy because they use their battered old camera to make a black and white movie rather than not make it in 48FPS 3D? Are musicians lazy for using acoustic guitars instead of synths? Just because the tech and presentation has moved on, that doesn’t remove the potential worth in things created in an older style, surely?

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 15:57.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

Lazy – Drawing an 8 bit character with 8 frames of animation takes a less time than creating a texture mapped 3d model.

Stupid – Because it’s not 1980 anymore.

You only have to look back at old games to see just how shite they looked, why on earth would you deliberatly make something look that bad when you have the tech to make something much better.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 16:17.
      • Avenger
        Since: Oct 2012

FuturLab is relatively independent and they create games that avoid the whole 8 bit trash.

If the games market is just going to be filled with retro games then what the hell is PS4 all about. We all want games to evolve visually and for it’s that visual element that seals the game for me. If someone wants to create say, a Vita game, and aim for the quality of MGS3, that’s fine if it runs fast and can produce good quality visuals. But I don’t want an effing colour blind test. Couldn’t care less for these kind of games. At least Team17 bother to remaster the artwork for Alien Breed (on top of the good formula and co-op).

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 17:50.
      • Alex C
        One for all.

Velocity was absolutely 16-bit visually. Does it look worse than modern shooters in full 3D?

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 18:49.
      • KeRaSh

I prefer it if the art style fits the game and a high resolution 3D model would certainly not fit in this case.
        This retro look is a trend in the indie scene and the majority seems to like it.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 20:35.
      • Avenger
        Since: Oct 2012

Well lets just say I’m looking forward to the velocity remaster.

I can understand what Peter is saying about limited resources, but I can’t help thinking there are still ways to push out some better looking games than 8 bit. Half Minute hero was nostalgic but the visuals in the newer games are better; in fact, they’re a sign that you can create a retro game and use modern resources. Bastion is stunning and that didn’t take much to build (XNA framework). I don’t necessarily think it is stupid, but I think that in some instances of games it is just cutting corners.

At the end of the day, they want to make an 8 bit game, they should do it, I’m just not fussed myself. It is amazing how much retro looking games have increased over the last 1-2 years.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 21:04.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

Agreed.

We played, liked and loved those games when they first came out and were ‘modern.’

Some, like Sonic for example, are still replayed and loved today.

But they were never loved because they looked grainy and blocky. They were loved because they played well, and didn’t look bad. Now however, while they (well, some of them) still play well, they all look bad.

I like some (Velocity), I love one (Dungeons of Dredmor) but the rest? They need to be better than they are to get me to forgive them being dog ugly.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 22:19.
    • aphex187
      Since: Mar 2010

HLM was one of the best games of last year, couple that with an amazing soundtrack and your silly statement of ‘i hope the PS4 blah blah…’, i hope games like this continue to thrive on the PC where they belong….

Comment posted on 20/02/2013 at 16:18.
  2. jimmy-google

There’s something about cross-buy that makes me what to buy the game even if I’m not that interested. I don’t know if it’s just because it appears value for money.

I’d like to see a lot more PSN games on the Vita starting with the likes of Back to the Future, Sam and Max, Journey and Flower.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 15:21.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

Flower with the accelerometer controls would be lovely.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 15:58.
  3. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

great news sold.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 15:24.
  4. TSBonyman

It reminds me a lot of Alien Breed, which i’m going to buy soon for a trip down memory lane. If i still enjoy it after all these years i may be interested in this game too.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 19:27.
  5. Loxstokk
    Since: Aug 2010

Sold on the soundtrack alone. Mind you it better be reasonably priced. Like TC said – this can hardly of been an expensive development due to the nature of its styling. Still, I do love the styling. It’s right up my street.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 19:34.
  6. KeRaSh

I’ve waited for this to come out on PSN. Cross Buy makes this deal just so much sweeter.

Comment posted on 19/02/2013 at 20:36.