Insomniac Trademarks Sunset Overdrive, Nobody Knows What It Is

But it's something, right?

Insomniac Games might have turned their backs on Ratchet & Clank for the time being. They may have left the Resistance. But they’re still up to something, if a trademark filing and domain registration are to be believed.

The Overstrike Fuse developers from Burbank, Los Angeles have recently branched out with a new division, Insomniac Click, which focusses on Facebook games like last year’s Outernauts. As far as we know, their upcoming headless shooter is the only project they’ve got in the works. But for a studio as talented and sizeable as Insomniac, that seems a little bit sparse.

So it stands to reason that they’re working on something else. But what is Sunset Overdrive? The truth is, we don’t know. Insomniac isn’t spilling the beans:

And there aren’t really any clues in the trademark filing, either. Firstly, we know it’s a computer game (well, duh). That means software, not necessarily a game for personal computers. So it could be a social game or something browser-based but it could equally be something for an existing platform or a future one. Secondly, the trademark filing specifically mentions “on-line” but that could just mean “multi player.”

Speculation is rife on GAF that it might be some sort of driving game but nobody really knows anything about it, aside from the fact that Insomniac wants to grab the trade mark and Ryan Schneider, who works for Insomniac, has grabbed the domain.

Source: USPTO via GAF

1. teflon
    Community Team

It’s exactly what it says on the tin: a sunset simulator.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 00:39.
  2. ashw92
    Since: Aug 2010

If it is a racer I hope its more arcade based or at least something different. With GT6 due to end up somewhere at some point in the not so distant future and with Drive Club as a PS4 release title there will be a lot of sim racers about if this is one too, not too mention anything that might come out of the Microsoft camp.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 00:54.
    • leeroye
      Since: May 2012

GT6 in the not too distant future: thats a bit optimistic ;)

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 09:19.
  3. bacon_nuts
    Since: Mar 2011

I can’t help but be less and less interested in what insomniac are doing. Ratchet and clank was my first major experience on the ps2, and I followed their games up until very recently, ignoring all 4 one and q-force/FFA. It’s quality decrease is startling, as it was between resistance one and two. I’ve heard three is better, but I’ll only bother with a bargain bin now. I’m totally uninterested in fuse, it looks bland, and Facebook games? No. Just no.

Unless this is Ratchet & Clank: Sunset Overdrive, and looks to be as good as the series once was, they’ll have to work bloody hard for me to be interested. Don’t know how insomniac managed to go so wrong.

/rant

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 01:29.
  4. yiddo
    Since: Jun 2010

Insomniac have become a real shame in my opinion. They were massively creative with their older games, such as the Ratchet and Clanks (which I know they still make, but still, even that is starting to decrease) and the Resistance games (2 was a blip, but I thought 3 was a return to form). Now to see them churning out a generic shooter for none other than EA really does saddden me. Yes, the game has four creative weapons, but really? Just look at the game, it oozes bland.

I can’t help but feel EA are to blame for this, everything to them has to become a gritty, dirty looking shooter. The kind of people that work at Insomniac are at their best when they have creative freedom, but on the flip point it was them that signed with EA – so I guess it’s money in exchange for creativity.

Not to be harsh to them, I really loved their older games, but they need to step it up again, and whatever ‘Sunset Overdrive’ is I can guarantee it would be better than Fuse. Hell, make it Overstrike again, at least that looked fun!

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 03:25.
  5. Bilbo_bobbins

Insomniac never been my favourite devs to be honest. Yes R1 was great, the others meh. Ratchet and Clank are ok, but doesn’t beat Crash lol

At least they are still up to something, good news for those who love their games.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 09:12.