Ubisoft Confirm "Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag", PS3 Version Includes Exclusive Content

Boxart appears, with embargo date set in stone.

The PS3 box-art.
Ubisoft have confirmed that the next Assassin’s Creed game is called “Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag” and have publicly stated that the embargo for previews and information will be up on Monday, March 4th at 5PM GMT.

So that’s when you’ll read about the game here on TheSixthAxis and elsewhere.

All other information other than the packshot shown is locked up in an NDA until then.

TheSixthAxis were invited to a recent press event – brief details of which were leaked on the internet prior – and we’ll have a full run-down of everything we know early next week.

Note that the PS3 boxart suggests there’ll be sixty minutes of exclusive PS3 content, similar – we assume – to the last game.

1. Eldur
    Since: Nov 2012

Finally a good pirate-themed action game? The box art looks a bit tacky though.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 11:51.
  2. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Man, I still ain’t even completed or touched AC3, it’s just there looking at me begging for my attention.

Is it a new character or is it Connor still or you not allowed to say yet

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 11:52.
    • Eldur
      Since: Nov 2012

Apparently, the main character is related to the family involved in AC3. That’s what IGN are reporting at least.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:01.
  3. Temascos
    Since: Jan 2013

My timbers are certainly shivered by this announcement. If I was told 5 years ago that Assassin’s Creed would get a pirate installment I would have said that you’re mad.

Should be interesting, still to catch up. Need to grab Brotherhood first.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 11:56.
  4. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

After spin offs which were some way short of the series’ heights.

We were told Assassin’s Creed 3 would be better because of extended dev time and it being a full sequel, it wasn’t.

What does that say for another spin off?

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 11:59.
    • Eldur
      Since: Nov 2012

Brotherhood is my favourite entry in the series thus far, and that was a spin off, so I’ll be keeping optimistic. Running around Caribbean islands and acting out my Jack Sparrow fantasies could be tremendously exciting, so at least there’s potential in the setting.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:04.
    • Joshua Hood
      Small briefcase w*nker

Yeah, Brotherhood and Revelations are my favourite AC games to date, so I’m actually pretty cool with this.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:06.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

I have the same concerns. Seems very quick to be pushing another AC game already – perhaps to make the most of the large audience before next gen.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:06.
    • The Lone Steven
      Never heard of him.

I disliked Brotherhood mainly due to it’s arcade style combat. As well as it not being as good as number 2.

I suspect due to the naval battle focus, they will only spend a bit of time making tweaks to the combat system then focus a lot of time on refining the naval system as well as creating the cities and towns. And probably introduce a lot of new weather types to make traveling via the sea dangerous and exciting. Am hoping it won’t end up as another Brotherhood or even worse, Revalations which i’ve heard is just a cutscene simulator.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:14.
    • kjkg
      Since: Apr 2010

I’m with you on that. Loved the first. Second was my personal favourite. Brotherhood was good…ish, and Revelations was boring. So much so that I lost all interest in ACIII. Which is a real shame after the second had me so invested in the story.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:16.
      • three_leg_jake
        Since: Aug 2011

I completely agree.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:21.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

That’s similar to where I am.
        Despite some obvious, huge flaws I loved the first (at the time, which is hugely important when comparing).

Enjoyed the second, despite the worst in-game acting & accents I’ve ever seen, but B & then of course R I found to be nothing more than woeful cash-ins.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:22.
    • KeRaSh

Well, this one is called AC IV, which means it is a numbered title, not just a spin off…

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:43.
      • kjkg
        Since: Apr 2010

Not necessarily. Liberation which was a spin off as it isn’t part of the main storyline is actually called ACIII: Liberation.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 13:58.
      • KeRaSh

Shush! I was trying to make a point without any background research whatsoever and you’re blowing my cover! :P

However, Liberation was semi tied in with III and we currently have no stand alone ACIV to make spin offs from. It would be pretty weird to have a spin off of a game that does not yet exist.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 15:27.
      • kjkg
        Since: Apr 2010

Now that is true. It would be weird.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 09:41.
  5. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Judging by the box art, Conner has been dropped. Which is both disappointing and a good thing. I had hoped that they would spend a lot of time in ACBF developing him into a decent charater but i rather have a new assassain that is likeable then another Conner game where they do feck all with him.

I assuming it will be 75% naval battles. They will have to make a lot of changes to the naval system as i think it would get a bit boring after a while. :O That said, they did reinvent the naval battle genre so hopefully, they will make sure that the naval battles are even more enjoyable and doesn’t get boring. Am hoping that we can free roam in the ship. I can’t remeber if AC3 is set before or after ACBF. If before, i can see Conner making an appearance as the Assassains Grandmaster in America.

Wonder if people will complain about brits getting killed again? I am hoping that we won’t see Desmond again as AC works better without the animus or without the modern day bits. Just keep the database. And that’s it.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:05.
    • Eldur
      Since: Nov 2012

I’d say that given piracy (in the classic Caribbean privateering sense) existed from the early 1500’s through to the early 1700’s, I’d say it’s safe to assume this a ‘prequel’ to AC3. If the rumours are true that Black Flag’s protagonist is related to Conner (grandfather, great grandfather etc), then it would make sense if this part of the series was set around 1650-1750, the height of European Privateering and a suitable precursor to the American Revolutionary War.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:16.
    • gazzagb
      Master of speling mitakse

It’s apparently Hathem’s father, Edward Kenway or at least that’s what I read on Eurogamer a couple of days ago.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 16:50.
  6. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

….

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 12:30.
  7. jimmy-google

I’d expect to see a return to Conner in 2014. I think they’ll alternated between AC III and AC IV spin offs for a couple of years

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 13:10.
  8. Kivi95
    Since: Oct 2009

Hopefully there will be a PS4 version aswell.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 13:35.
  9. wirralsman
    Since: Oct 2010

Haven’t had the motivation to play the 3rd one yet, and now they want me to get excited about another game in the series?

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 14:06.
    • Eldur
      Since: Nov 2012

To be honest, it doesn’t sound like you’re their target audience…

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 14:23.
  10. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Arrgh! I bought AC3 for the ship parts alone, so this could be cool. I hope there’s a PS4 version though, AC3 felt very compromised.

Comment posted on 28/02/2013 at 15:02.