PS Vita Sales Have 'Quadrupled' In The Last Two Weeks

Now can we have a price cut too?

Following last week’s report that PS Vita sales had beaten the Wii U’s for the first time, it seems that the handheld’s recent price reduction is having a hugely positive effect.

Speaking during a presentation in Japan, Hiroshi Kawano, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, stated that Playstation Vita sales had increased almost four times compared with unit sales two weeks ago. Based on recent Media Create figures, sales of the Vita were at approximately 11,000 a fortnight ago so they could well be in the region of 40,000 now, though it will be interesting to see this week’s official figures for confirmation.

It’s worth noting that along with the price cut, Phantasy Star Online 2 was released on the platform on the 28th of February, whilst the critically lauded Soul Sacrifice is set to launch this Friday. Both titles particularly suit Japanese gaming habits and, when combined with the price reduction, it finally seems that Sony have gained some traction on their home soil.

European and American gamers can continue to hope that Sony’s experiences in Japan will see them drop the Vita’s price in other regions. Perhaps we’ll have to wait until we have some big game releases for the platform until we see a coinciding price cut?

Source: Gematsu

Read more: # #
  1. teflon
    Community Team

We’ll have to wait for our crummy western economies to stack up against the Yen a lot better…

Glad they’ve finally getting a little momentum going with this handheld!

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 02:10.
  2. bacon_nuts
    Since: Mar 2011

Honestly, I got bored waiting and ordered my vita today. Can’t bloody wait, tearaway, kz, and all the current games here I come. Could possibly turn out to be stupid, but meh.

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 02:49.
    • CR8ZYH0RSE
      Since: Sep 2012

You won’t regret it bud,i got mine November as an early xmas present and it’s not been ouf of my hand for more than a day.Get Tom blitz it’s free on the psn store and it’s bloody addictive.

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 06:17.
    • salvodaze
      Since: Dec 2012

It’s a great system. If you’re an all-around gamer, the catch phrase “it doesn’t have games” is pretty much laughable by now and the system itself will blow you away. Really stable and gorgeous. I also see a lot of potential for the upcoming years, good times to own a Vita.

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 07:51.
    • Eldur
      Since: Nov 2012

Congrats on the purchase. Get yourself Uncharted, Wipeout and P4G and you’ll be busy for months! That’s without raiding the PSP back catalogue or delving too deep into the PS Store… Oh, and I’d definitely recommend PS+… My £35 investment has realised well over £100 worth of Vita gaming goodness and there’s still more to come.

It’s a beautiful system with some amazing games, and I’m happy to see it’s sales numbers (hopefully) picking up.

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 09:21.
      • jimmy-google

There’s plenty of games, I’ve managed to play at least 40 since i bought mine a year ago. PS+ certainly helps keep the cost down

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 10:18.
  3. CR8ZYH0RSE
    Since: Sep 2012

“Can continue to hope”,there’s an understatement.

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 06:14.
  4. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

The next couple of weeks figures should make for an interesting read. Hopefully, even more third party developers will jump aboard.

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 06:32.
  5. Kevatron400
    Drake, baby.

I’m sure the PS4 conference announcing the Vita as the must-have peripheral for PS4 can’t have harmed its chances either.

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 09:28.
    • simplebob
      Since: Mar 2009

This is what has made me place an order this week for one. Been on the fence for ages and the promise of continued support for the Vita has won me over. That and the fact that I have all the PS+ content in my download queue calling my name….

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 09:51.
    • freezebug2

Yup, I see the Vita now as an almost essential peripheral for next gen, just a shame that it wasn’t implemented so well for this gen!

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 10:03.
  6. Klart
    Since: Jun 2010

Great!

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 10:20.
  7. KeRaSh

Now they just have to release PSO2 in Europe as well…

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 10:23.
  8. JBoo
    Banned
    Since: Oct 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 10:41.
  9. Broonba
    Since: Mar 2009

Nice to hear that sales appear to be on the up (in Japan at least). I’ve had my Vita for about 6 months and I’ve never once regretted the descision to buy one. The news that Sony are aiming to have every PS4 game playable on Vita via remote play was excellent news also. And the fact that PS+ is now for Vita also means that there’s little reason not to buy one.

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 11:07.
  10. Origami Killer

Haven’t turned on my Vita for a long time. LBP has been left uncompleted, same as MGS 3. Don’t really know why I’ve been neglecting it.

Comment posted on 06/03/2013 at 11:27.