Sony's UK MD On PS Vita: "The Cupboard Won’t Be Bare"

Fergal Gara hints at upcoming PS Vita games, talks Wonderbook.

Perhaps alluding to some big name titles, SCE UK MD Fergal Gara has said that although the current PS Vita line-up looks bare it’s just because Sony haven’t yet announced everything still to come. “It looks bare in terms of what is announced,” says Gara. “The cupboard won’t be bare.”

Currently the major titles are Media Molecule’s Tearaway and Guerrilla’s Killzone Mercenary.

The Managing Director also points out that Wonderbook didn’t quite do well enough for Sony. “It could have sold better,” he says, “but it sold respectively well. I am encouraged that we have more titles coming and it may just take a little longer to get it to settle in consumer’s consciousness.”

“We certainly felt the lack of a big triple-A title,” he adds, reflecting on Sony’s quiet Christmas release schedule. “Our timing of releases wasn’t quite ideal. The flip side of that is the PS3 schedule for this year is fantastic.”

“The biggest challenge for the team this year is that we have three major formats to focus on: PS3 is the bread and butter of our business, PS Vita there’s loads more to come, and then an exciting new console,” he says, referring of course to the PS4.

“That’s the biggest conundrum we face, how do we focus our time, effort and draw attention to the incredible software available on all of those.”

Via MCV.

1. jimmy-google

Certainly seems they’re preparing themselves for a UK 2013 PS4 release.

One quote that is missing is that apparently the Vita sales increased (from there low before Christmas) by 20 times at the height of Christmas. Now if you could just at least announce some more games maybe they keep the sales going a bit.

The rumours of Assassins Creed: Rising Phoenix would be a good start (if true).

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 13:00.
    • KeRaSh

That quote is very misleading, though. He specifically said the Vita sales hit a low before Christmas, so having 20 fold sales nombers during Christmas could still be a verly low number and I think that’s very likely to be the case.

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 13:13.
      • jimmy-google

Not sure if it’s in that article but he did say they took a third of the handheld market last year in the UK. (that will include PSP as well)

I expect Christmas impacted that a lot.

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 14:11.
  2. KeRaSh

Well, I’ve read that Phantasy Star Online 2 might not make it to European Vitas. I’ve only read it on a German site that I’ve never heard of before but the possibility that the number one reason why I got a Vita might be vaporware in Europe is not really a confidence booster.

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 13:12.
    • hazelam

that would be extremely disappointing.

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 14:29.
  3. cam the man

I haven’t bought a full game for my Vita for months but I’ve been playing a lot of minis and PS Mobile games. There’s plenty to keep me busy for a while.

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 13:27.
  4. simplebob
    Since: Mar 2009

Have my shiny new Vita waiting for me for when I get home. With Playstation Plus games in the download queue I have plenty to keep me busy. As long as this is not another empty line from Sony then I’ll be happy.

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 13:37.
  5. Airiaen

Moar Japanese games naoooooo!! but if only… because Phantasy Star Online 2 is amazing <3

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 14:07.
  6. hazelam

how about a price cut like the japanese Vita recently got?

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 14:28.
  7. Origami Killer

We’ve got Tearaway, Killzone and Soul Sacrifice, which I think are the biggest game. Don’t see them carrying the Vita for the next coming months to Winter. Thankfully this news can change this :D

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 18:10.
  8. TSBonyman

I wonder if Sony would be able to develop a game based on the concept of hindsight, they certainly seem to be putting a lot of research into it..

Comment posted on 08/03/2013 at 19:49.