Rumour: Sony Discontinuing 3G PS Vita As Price Drops To Sub-$200

Outdoor-enabled console gets price cut along with rumours of being discontinued.

The 3G PlayStation Vita has always been something of an anomaly – you couldn’t play online games with it and the pricing was way off. The few 3G-exclusive titles have hardly set the world on fire, either.

So, it’s with little surprise to hear rumours that – in the US at least – the machine is going to be discontinued. Joystiq reports widespread price discounting of the 3G version (down to $199.97).

That gets you an 8GB memory card and a free game, assuming you sign up for the 3G coverage.

Sony has yet to make an official statement on this (and the price of the 3G version is still up at full price online) but there are several reports that suggest this is indeed a discontinuation.

The 3G Vita was recently dropped to the same price as the Wi-fi version in Japan (to ¥19,980, about £140), where sales have improved dramatically of late.

1. Dom El
    Since: Mar 2012

It’ll be interesting to see whether they make a 4G version or just leave it altogether. The developer for Phantasy Star Online 2 was saying that it ran over 3G the other day so some games are able to utilise it.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 12:36.
    • KeRaSh

@PSO2: I’ve read that they canned the US and EU versions of PSO2 for Vita. The site I read the news on was unknown to me so I can’t verify the accuracy of that statement. Did you hear anything about that b any chance?

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 14:17.
      • OneShotWook
        Since: Jun 2010

I’ve been paying close attention to this and as far as i know theres been nothing concrete either way.
        Most seem to assume it’s bound for the Us but theres been no announcement to back that up that i’ve seen.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 17:14.
      • Dom El
        Since: Mar 2012

I haven’t heard anything either way, and there doesn’t seem to be any further information lurking out there about it.

Nothing has been set in the West for either the PC version or the Vita one, and with Sega’s lack of faith/support for Western localisation (Valkyria Chronicles 3, Shining Ark etc.) I wouldn’t be surprised if they did decide to hold off releasing it outside of Japan. I just can’t believe that they couldn’t see the potential in this particular game though…

Comment posted on 13/03/2013 at 00:15.
      • KeRaSh

My brother, a friend and I have started playing PSO Ep. I&II again on the Game Cube in split screen coop and we’re having a blast. We’re planning on playing PSO2 together, too so hopefully SEGA doesn’t let us down.

Comment posted on 13/03/2013 at 06:39.
  2. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

The contract on offer was far too much to make it worth it.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 12:59.
  3. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Why couldnt you play online games with it? I thought that was the point?

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 13:02.
    • cam the man

Maybe you cannot play online over 3G?

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 13:14.
    • teflon
      Community Team

You could use it for asynchronous MP, and that was about it. If you have an utterly stable 3G connection, then it would be alright for full blown FPS online play, but there’s no way for them to determine if that’s the case or if you’re on a train and you’re going to pass through coverage black spots every once in a while.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 13:18.
      • KeRaSh

Yeah, I’m asuming they disable it by default to avoid people getting annoyed because the experience would be less than enjoyable with variable 3G connectivity while on the move vs someone who has a stable wifi connection.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 14:27.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

So it is possible then. Confuzzled.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 14:17.
  4. MuggleMind

I only got a 3G vita because shopto were selling it for a tenner less than the wifi only model at Christmas. Still haven’t enabled 3G, as I can tether it to my S3 phone, and my all you can eat data plan is the perfect partner for out and about gaming.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 13:13.
  5. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

I regret getting the 3G version tbh, topped up once just for wipeout sake but apart from that 3G feature useless, sometimes my GF text me on it to get my attention but that’s it

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 13:13.
  6. mrfodder

I got it purely for the gps. Being able to get a discounted wipeout mean it was a justifable (in my mind anyway) cost for the gps. I haven’t connected it to the 3g network since I set it up, tethering does just fine.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 13:21.
  7. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

You CAN play online with 3G- and not just for asynchronous mulitplayer either.

Phantasy Star Online works over 3G, and Little Big Planet seems quite happy to try and throw my anti-social self into multiplayer games when I’m on 3G.

It mightn’t be the greatest feature of the Vita, but 3G connectivity is not useless either, and I’m just looking at the games at the moment, never mind the uses for the browser, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube et al.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 13:35.
  8. KeRaSh

I never really understood the need for a dedicated 3G version anyways. If you are in desperate need for an online connection you can just tether to your phone and for the web browser, Twitter, Skype, Maps etc… you could directly use your cell phone for a better experience.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 14:35.
  9. Awayze
    Since: Jul 2010

I haven’t even touched my Vita in months and I haven’t even put the Voda sim that came with it into the Vita. Need better games like GTA.

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 16:36.
  10. Kevling

Out of interest, what are the “few 3G-exclusive titles”?

Comment posted on 12/03/2013 at 21:11.