Feature

What We Played #96: Far Cry 3, Vector TD, Ridiculous Fishing

The one where I’m Singen in the snow.

What We Played

Greetings from southern Germany! Being hundreds of miles from my PlayStation 3 means that my gaming this week has gone mobile, so it was time to dust off my PlayStation Vita and see if it still works after spending a few months idle.

The good news was that it hadn’t taken umbrage at going unused for so long, the bad was that the first game I fired up, Chronovolt, acquired from PlayStation Plus, was tedium personified.

I’ve been playing variations on Marble Madness since time immemorial and it wasn’t long before this one got switched off. Fortunately one of the nearby bubbles on my PS Vita’s home screen was my long-time favourite PS minis title, Vector TD. It’s unforgiving but I love it.

Alex has been playing some Ridiculous Fishing and LEGO City: Undercover which both get a “pretty good” rating. There was also some Luigi’s Mansion 2 and more God of War: Ascension thrown in for good measure.

He thinks there may have been some other games with colons in them too, though I’m not sure if he means their titles or if it’s a reference to the frequent disembowelments in the God of War games.

Paul Daniels perhaps best describes Kris’ experiences with Jet Set Radio this week – ‘You’ll like it, not a lot but you’ll like it’. He’s also played more of the Flash platformer Continuity which doesn’t sound like it’s about the adventures of a BBC announcer, as its name would suggest:

Levels are split into tiles that you have to re-arrange to make the connections you need to get to the exit. It’s sort of a weird combination of a platformer and one of those puzzles where you have to slide the tiles to make a picture. It was fun until it slowly started to turn my brain to goo; it gets complex fast.

Tuffcub would like us to guess what he’s been playing but we all know the answer begins with ‘Killzone’ and ends with ‘3’. He’s also played Lumines on his PS Vita and admits to not quite getting it yet, as there seems to be little progression and “as much as [he likes] that Everything But The Girl song, starting every game with it is getting annoying”.

A lack of size has been getting Peter down this week, but despite that he’s still really loving playing. SimCity that is. He’s finding that “city size is too limited” and that he misses the terraforming that previous SimCities have allowed.

His solution has been to claim more than one city in a region and run them cooperatively, but like a parent and their children the love isn’t quite equal despite the best of intentions and one always ends up favourite. Playing this way leaves him with “one pristine utopia while [his] other cities are polluted germ-factories being stripped of their resources and maximising power generation or water pumping”. So pretty much like any capital versus the rest of a nation’s cities…

Last up this week is Blair who, alongside twice-daily bouts of The Simpsons: Tapped Out, has just completed the “fantastic” Far Cry 3:

It’s just so much fun and so well crafted – everything from the story, to the characters (Vaas was incredible), to the smaller mechanics such as hunting, the outposts and the radio towers. I loved every second of it and wished I had played it a bit earlier so I could’ve voted it one of my games of the year.

What have you been playing wherever you are?

1. bigbaldwolf
    Since: Mar 2012

I’ve been playing a lot of Persona 4 Golden. I never played it on the PS2 so it’s all new to me and it’s amazing. I just bought Sleeping Dogs off XBL as Squeenix are having a sale and it was only £9. So far I’m pretty impressed with it, especially the hand to hand combat stuff.

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 09:08.
  2. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Just been playing a bit of Hitman but not getting the contracts bit as I’m not finding any, I know loads my friends played Hitman including youles but still says no one has played it grr! Played some LBP2 with the GF she loved it.

Just going try platinum snake eater vita, the kerotan won’t be easy to shoot at that’s for sure. And I’m waiting for my God of war delivery excited this much :)

I’m tempted to buy jak & daxter trilogy but I’m a bit unsure as I regret the sly cooper one

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 09:13.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

Maybe an issue with the Hitman servers? :/

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 09:20.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

Yeh probably which sucks as most trophies to get plat are based on contracts

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 09:29.
  3. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Grinding Tomb Raider multiplayer, played in meet which I didn’t enjoy due to grenade spamming. Almost at first prestige though.

Playing through Dead Space 3 co-op with MJB which I’m still absolutely loving! Looking forward to more this evening!

Tried the WRC Powerslide trial, and thought it was pretty average.

Tried for the “High Maintenance” Blops2 zombie DLC trophy with McProley and Wolf-of-Chaos….although we failed as its rather awkward. Will hopefully try again soon though!

Played my Vita for the first time in weeks….played a single level of Escape Plan and collected all the signs on the Directors Cut DLC; and I completed the new Sound Shapes DLC and got all those trophies.

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 09:19.
  4. yiddo
    Since: Jun 2010

All I’ve been playing is Black Ops II zombies (Die Rise to be specific, got to round 27) and Skyrim. Nothing else at all really.

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 09:30.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

It’s a great map isn’t it! Fancy going for the High Maintenance trophy at some point?

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 09:45.
      • yiddo
        Since: Jun 2010

Yeah, I’ll try it for sure. I think you’re already on my PSN, i’ll check tonight to make sure.

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 10:27.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

It’s the last DLC trophy I need. You free for an hour Monday night? I’ll need to check with McProley and Wolf-of-Chaos too ;)
        You are on my list btw!

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 10:38.
      • yiddo
        Since: Jun 2010

Yeah, Monday should be fine. I’ve only really started to get into zombies since the DLC came out, i’ve absolutely smashed it in the last week lol.

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 10:47.
  5. JohnnyBoy
    Since: Oct 2010

I finished the story and case mission in Sleeping Dogs – really enjoyed it.
    Started on Crysis 3 campaign. It looks fantastic and plays pretty well too.

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 09:54.
  6. Eldave0
    andUandU

> Played a bit more of ‘Tomb Raider’. The first couple of hours were great but I’m struggling to get into it now to be honest. A lot of the time it just feels like an Uncharted game… just not as good.
    > Speaking of which, I finished my hard playthrough of ‘Uncharted3′. I still prefer the second game but, wow, I had forgotten how good this game was. It took a while to get used to the floaty aiming again but I’m well and truly back in the swing of things now and will be starting my Crushing playthrough this weekend.
    > Played a few rounds of ‘Killzone 3′ online (still ace) and played a bit of the co-op to ding some of the easy trophies. Once I’ve got the platinum on UC3 I will start a proper playthrough of this.
    > ‘Tekken Hybrid’ arrived from Lovefilm last night so I blasted through the ‘Tekken Tag 2 Prologue’ trophy list in a couple of hours and will do the same with ‘Tekken Tag HD’ this evening.

Also recovered one of my old PSN accounts last night and found a number of tasty items in my download history. Downloading RE4, SotC, Jak3 and the Killzone 2+3 maps packs as we speak :D

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 10:00.
  7. KeRaSh

I’ve reached the final fast travel camp in Tomb Raider and only need to collect a few more GPS caches for 100%.
    Beside that I’ve been playing some old school split screen Phantasy Star Online Episode I&II with my brother and a friend on the Game Cube. It’s still so much fun to play this game.

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 10:11.
    • KeRaSh

By the way Greg, where in Germany are you?

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 10:13.
  8. salvodaze
    Since: Dec 2012

Now that I have an ultrabook that can actually handle gaming pretty well, I thought I’d start Fallout New Vegas, which I’m loving so far. Also spent a couple of hours on Civ V. Oh also tried the Frozen Synapse demo, but didn’t have the time to finish it then. Looks smart enough. Gotta charge my vita and get back on it!

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 11:15.
    • salvodaze
      Since: Dec 2012

Reads a bit misleading, “get back on my vita” I meant, not on Frozen synapse on my vita since it’s not available yet.

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 12:05.
  9. tactical20

I picked up Saints Row 3 from PC World for a fiver, just after xmas. Finally got round to giving it a go. It’s the first Saints Row game I’ve played, but I’m a big GTA fan, so it all felt quite familiar. Personally though, I don’t think it even comes close to GTA, but still enjoyed it enough to earn my 8th platinum.

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 11:55.
  10. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

I’ve been playing Ni no kuni,what an amazing game,it’s been a long time since a game has drawn me in so much. I’ve also been playing tomb raider,also an awesome game :-)

Comment posted on 15/03/2013 at 12:31.