UK Games Charts: 18/03/13 - Tomb Raider Holds On, Kratos Fended Off

People prefer digging up history to making it, clearly.

The, really rather good, Tomb Raider reboot has held on to the top spot this week. That’s in spite of stiff competition from God of War: Ascension and Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm. The latter probably sold a great deal of its numbers digitally via BattleNet though, and those figures are not accounted for in this chart.

Tomb Raider’s ability to hold on at number one was also despite sales of the game being down by 72 per cent on last week.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior completes the high flying new entries, in at number four. The rest of the top ten is relatively predictable with SimCity clinging on in fifth before FIFA, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 and Black Ops II fill out the spots before The Sims 3: University Life in tenth.

God of War: Ascension doesn’t seem to have seen the same kind of marketing that its predecessor had but it’s still got to be a little bit disappointing for Sony Santa Monica that it managed fewer than half the week one sales that God of War III racked up. It’s not really surprising, given the timing and the profile of Ascension, but still…

It’ll be interesting to see how another platform-exclusive, fourth in the main series spin off fares next week when Gears of War Judgment goes on sale.

Here’s the top twenty, the top 40 is available from UKIE:

1. TOMB RAIDER – SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
  2. GOD OF WAR: ASCENSION – SONY COMPUTER ENT.
  3. STARCRAFT II: HEART OF THE SWARM – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
  17. LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES – WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
  18. GRAND THEFT AUTO IV – TAKE 2
  19. METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE – KONAMI
  20. NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: ULTIMATE NINJA STORM 3 – NAMCO BANDAI GAMES
  1. parryman
    Since: Apr 2012

I had every intention of buying GoWa on Friday, on my way home from work.
    Sadly I left wallet at home, and Game refused to accept a button and a merry jig as payment.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:04.
    • Eldur
      Since: Nov 2012

Is writing GoWa supposed to demarcate the difference between God of War and Gears? How does it help?

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:55.
      • parryman
        Since: Apr 2012

God of War: Ascension
        Abbreviated to GoWa, sorry if it offends

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 11:07.
      • yiddo
        Since: Jun 2010

I wouldn’t apologise. I’m sure NOBODY in the world would get offended by GoWa.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 11:36.
      • Eldur
        Since: Nov 2012

Of course! I’m an idiot. It still doesn’t solve gaming’s biggest problem though: How to differentiate between the God of War and Gears franchises.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 11:44.
      • yiddo
        Since: Jun 2010

God of War came first. Thus GoW is God of War and Gears of War could be.. well…. Gears of War?

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 12:25.
      • rht992
        Since: Apr 2009

I like the word GoWa. Sounds like the sort of thing we’ll all be chanting around the fire when civilisation ends.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 13:47.
      • Airiaen

DuWa

Comment posted on 21/03/2013 at 13:14.
  2. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Tomb raider held off God of war psssh!

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:12.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

yeah, marketing budget seems to have been way down for Ascension (although that’s incredibly hard to tell, so I might be very wrong) and it probably didn’t cost as much to make but seeing the sales figures more than halved on GoWIII has got to be a bad sign.

I think it’s in keeping with the general feeling that this generation is stretching on too long now. It’s not exciting anymore. Roll on, PS4!

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:31.
      • KeRaSh

I wouldn’t blame generation fatigue when other titles continue to sell well.
        Maybe people really had enough of Kratos. :)

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:35.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

Yeh true that, I only seen one as for God of war 2 weeks ago, it’s a shame the game is good personally I would give it a 9 & disagree with the review but that’s another argument lol.

I read somewhere that, even though the sales are half of 3, it’s the second biggest debut in the series something like that beating 2

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:37.
      • Peter Chapman
        Team TSA: Editor

Other titles aren’t selling particularly well though, sales are significantly down, year on year, for everything.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 11:10.
      • KeRaSh

But apparently they are still selling better than GoW:A.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 11:36.
      • kjkg
        Since: Apr 2010

Yes but like on like sales for this generation are down. It’s just a natural part of generation cycles I guess.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 13:09.
      • jimmy-google

It’s the UK market which is relatively small so you have to take chart performance with a little pinch of salt. Not much has performed well this year. The main exception seems to be Tomb Raider which has had a lot of excitement ever since the first E3 trailer and a lot of press love as well. It reminds me of the reaction to Skyfall. i think there is more a sense of shock about the fact they are actually good as both Bond and Tomb Raider have struggled for a while. But good is about as far it goes for both of them.

God of War III had loads of excitement as it was the first HD God of War. I think it’s natural that the excitement was lower this time round and with many already having played the multiplayer beta there wasn’t much surprise for those buying it. I don’t think the PS4 announcement helped either. “PlayStation” gamers are possibly already saving for it.

I’d expect new IP like the Last of US to perform a lot better as there is a real buzz around them and the freshness they’re offering can counteract the end of generation fatigue.

Gears will do better than God of War because the 360 is a far bigger seller in the UK. The rest of Europe will probably favour Kratos.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 14:46.
  3. ashw92
    Since: Aug 2010

Has Skyrim even left the top 20 since release? That must have had enormous sales by now.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:12.
    • yiddo
      Since: Jun 2010

They deserve it to be fair. Apart from the release issues and DLC issues (both can’t be justified) it’s still a fantastic game, and having brought all of the DLC for PS3 recently I have been sucked into the world once again. Now I can’t get back out :(

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 11:38.
      • ashw92
        Since: Aug 2010

Oh undoubtedly, just surprised it’s still hanging in there after 16 months. I think it every week I see the charts in fact.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 11:50.
      • yiddo
        Since: Jun 2010

Yeah, it is surprising how it is still there. With this being their most popular/best selling Elder Scrolls game to date, it makes me wonder whether the Elder Scrolls VI will be set in a new area (as they traditionally do) or if it will be a sequel to Skyrim. I hope they stick to what they traditionally do, but business wise, some suits must be thinking ‘Skyrim was very successful. More of that specifically please’.

Hope I’m wrong, but it’s food for thought.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 13:10.
      • Eldur
        Since: Nov 2012

The ‘next thing’ is the Elder Scrolls MMO isn’t it? I wonder what effect (if any) this’ll have on the production of the next ‘proper’ entry in the series?

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 13:58.
      • yiddo
        Since: Jun 2010

Good point. I had forgot about that. As far as I’m aware ESO is all of Tamriel (albeit Elsweyr and a few other areas aren’t fully explorable, if I’m correct) so maybe a move to Akavir could be on the cards? Or more obviously it could be set in Elsweyr – because as mentioned, it supposedly isn’t fully explorable.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 15:09.
      • Airiaen

it wouldn’t make sense to do Skyrim 2, they’d have to go for a new province of Tamerial…. Hopefully Elswer or Summerset Isles. Home of the Kajiht to the home of the High Elves.

An deserty area is probably what they’ll go for next…

Comment posted on 21/03/2013 at 13:17.
  4. Mundham
    Since: Feb 2011

Crysis at Number 8? Not the original I assume….

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:15.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

No, that’ll be the third one. I’ll fix!

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:22.
  5. Kris Lipscombe
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Mar 2009

Tomb Raider’s cheap to, only £31 on Amazon and seen it cheaper around.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:22.
  6. Awayze
    Since: Jul 2010

Tomb Raiders cheaper than GOW. Still not paying £40 for a game.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 10:40.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

well, this might be a good point too. Cheaper games sell better than full (or close to) RRP ones. Shocker!

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 11:16.
  7. JBoo
    Banned
    Since: Oct 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 11:04.
    • bunimomike

Ha! :-)

Rightly so. Tomb Raider was bloody excellent. What a cracking first part to the year to be having such a great adventure title for us to play. Not sure it’ll leave my top five games of 2013 when we reach December. A blinder of a title.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 15:00.
  8. Eldave0
    andUandU

Not really enjoying Tomb Raider any more (great at first but becomes a generic shooter after a couple of hours). Tried to trade it in Blockbusters towards the new GoW on Saturday but they wouldn’t take it because my version of the game was different to the one on their system… i.e. I had the “combat edition” (normal game plus some crappy dlc code) and they had the normal one. Was not happy :-(

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 11:41.
  9. Origami Killer

Hope to pick up Tomb Raider later next month. Hearing a lot of good about it!

If I’m honest I wasn’t expecting God Of War to even manage second, so a surprise there for me.

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 12:23.
  10. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

I’m not surprised very angry man ahead simulator is second as exclusives rarely come first if a multiplat game was released a week or two before. I am a bit surprised that the Cyborg Ninja game that PG wanted to make but didn’t want to risk releasing a new ip thus turned MGS:Rising into a DMC clone has fallen down the chart as it’s excellent according to reviews. :O I’m just messing around with that name, i don’t harbour any ill thoughts towards it. ^-^

I may pick it up as a late birthday present as it is probably £20 now. And i am willing to pay up to £20 for a 5 hour hack and slash game. :) Will pick up Drake Croft:Charted Raider when it is cheaper as i have to replace my shitty gameware controller due to the fecking right stick playing up thus i am forced to get a DS3, which cost up to £50 nowadays. >:( NEVER GET THEIR CONTROLLERS!

Comment posted on 18/03/2013 at 12:40.
    • Airiaen

Save up and get a DS3 I suppose then, makes sense.

Comment posted on 21/03/2013 at 13:18.