You

WeView: God of War

Digging back to the PS2.

Remember 2005? Of course you do. It was the year the Xbox 360 was announced and launched, and the year that Sony first showed what the PS3 had to offer. In strangely current news it was the year that Pope Benedict XVI took up the Papacy, the very same Pope who was replaced just last week. It’s funny how things work out isn’t it?

In more relevant news, it was the year that Sony Santa Monica decided to unleash Kratos on the world for the first time, spawning one of the most popular PlayStation franchises to date. We’re actually just three days short of God of War’s eighth anniversary, so it seems fitting that the community selected God of War for this week’s game.

What surprised me about the title when I was doing some brief research for this piece is that it’s actually the most critically acclaimed game in the God of War series, sitting at 94 on Metacritic. That’s two points higher than God of War II, a game I tend to see a lot more appreciation for.

Unsurprisingly for a PS2 game there isn’t a formal TSA review of the game, so instead I’ve pulled reviews from the rest of the gaming press. We’ll start with 1UP, who were amongst the outlets to give the game top marks. They praised the game’s combat system, calling it “reminiscent of games such as Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry”, although finding that it perhaps could have been a little more challenging on the game’s easier settings.

The game’s visuals also came in for praise from 1UP, calling them “some of the nicest — if not the nicest — on the PlayStation 2.” Eurogamer’s review shared this enthusiasm for the game’s graphical prowess, finding the game “impossibly glorious at times,” a sentiment that won’t be a surprise to long time fans of the series.

Eurogamer also highlighted the game’s puzzles, which they felt evoked “memories of the original Tomb Raider in their levels of logical cunning,” pretty much the highest praise you can give puzzles of that style. Although they did feel that the platforming was a little poor at points, they were still more than satisfied by the title, saying it would “be held aloft as one of the true greats of this generation.” They certainly got that prediction spot on.

Ultimately though it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks, it’s up to the community to judge this series launcher. If you’ve played the recent HD version of the game that appeared on PlayStation Plus then you should feel free to pile in with your views of the game, as should anyone who’s played the game anywhere really. All you need to do is pop your thoughts into a comment below. It doesn’t really matter whether you loved or hated the game, everyone’s free to chip in with their opinion. All we ask is that you rate the game on the Buy It, Bargain Bin It, Rent It, Avoid It scale, and that you have your view in by Sunday afternoon if you want to be included in Monday’s verdict article.

Read more: # #
  1. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Best game on playstation period! Ghost of Sparta is by far the best in the series but overall GoW1 is a superb game, you either love kratos or you don’t.

The challenge of the Gods is ruthless especially the last challenge.

Buy it or in this case if you want a hard copy by the HD Collection

Comment posted on 19/03/2013 at 15:11.
  2. cam_manutd

Playing the HD version, I realised what I missed out on. A raw gory adventure that gets better and better. I really enjoyed the story of the game. When Kratos goes for pandora’s box, the game picks up with some intricate puzzles and fights.

My complaint is the combat at times and throughout the first 3 the same issue is present where attempting to parry or block is troublesome.

Overall though after 7 hours, the original is a fun sprawling violent adventure through Greece. Definitely worth a playthrough for any gamer and makes a compelling session on a Sunday afternoon or late evening. Buy it :)

Comment posted on 19/03/2013 at 15:12.
  3. matthangzhou
    Since: Sep 2010

I got it at a bargain bin price and wouldn’t have wanted to pay anymore than that. I am a massive Greek mythology geek but still didn’t enjoy the god of war games that much for reasons I’m not too sure about. Ultimately I feel it’s just not a game for me rather than a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.
    BARGAIN BIN it (should be easy enough by now)

Comment posted on 19/03/2013 at 15:14.
  4. jimmy-google

God of War is good at what it is trying to be but that won’t be for everyone. You really need to try it first if you haven’t played one.

It’s a minimum of rent it because if it is your sort of game its an excellent example of its genre and everyone should experience the wrath of Kratos at least once.

Personally I’ve enjoyed playing God of War far more on a portable but what better place to start than with the first game. I’d say buy it just because it’s so cheap on the PSN store at the moment.

Comment posted on 19/03/2013 at 15:20.
  5. BrendanCalls
    Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

Buy it, buy it now!
    Its a timeless classic,
    Like A New Hope is to Star Wars, GoW1 is to the GoW franchise & as Star Wars is to movies, GoW is to gaming…need I say more

Comment posted on 19/03/2013 at 15:21.
  6. Eldave0
    andUandU

When it comes to PS exclusives, in my opinion, Uncharted, Killzone and God of War are the holy trinity. The original GoW may not be my favourite of the series (part 2 still firmly holds that title) but this is still an amazing game, one with excellent pacing, rocksolid combat and an interesting storyline. Whether you are a fan of the genre or not this is a must play. Given the price, BUY IT!

Comment posted on 19/03/2013 at 15:45.
  7. KeRaSh

Kratos is probably the most annoying game character I have ever come across.
    He is the very definition of “one trick pony”. God of War had the benefit of being the first in the series. At that point I wasn’t as annoyed of Kratos as I am now because through the course of every GoW game that followed he basically did and said the same things over and over again. Revenge, rage, kill, bla bla bla… *sigh*
    Story? Yeah, there was an explanation why he became the way he did but after that the plot was as linear as a brand new ruler.
    The gameplay is probably GoW’s strongest part but even that was overshadowed by annoying puzzles and a few hours of boring filler content right before the end that was obviously implemented to streach out the length of the campaign.

Unless you are really, really into that kind of gameplay, don’t care if the story of the game can be explained in a single sentence, without leaving out any of the details (proving a point here, don’t call me out on it) and enjoy listening to the repetitive ramblings of a character that is as deep as a dryed out puddle of water in the desert, then for the love of Zeus, avoid this game…

There, I said it. dealwithit.gif

Comment posted on 19/03/2013 at 15:54.
  8. DividSmythe
    Since: May 2012

Not as good as GoW 2 but still very good. I would recommend a break between every episode but buy it to the trilogy.

Comment posted on 19/03/2013 at 16:28.
  9. joeybamboo
    Since: Nov 2008

i remember getting this when it came out on ps2 and i loved it!! still one of my fave franchises. and when they released the hd remakes i was first inline so id def say buy!!

Comment posted on 19/03/2013 at 16:31.
  10. Moshbag
    Since: Nov 2011

A landmark in cinematic gaming: visceral, exciting, beautiful, and the start of an incredible series of games. Buy it.

Comment posted on 19/03/2013 at 16:57.