Feature

What We Played #97: Plants vs Zombies, GoW: Judgment, Luigi's Mansion 2

The one where you can out your gaming addiction.

What We Played

Despite having completed Plants vs Zombies many times on many formats, the PlayStation Vita version helped me get through a prolonged wait of a couple of hours in Zurich airport at the end of last week. Dr Zomboss met his inevitable fate once more and Laura Shigihara’s pop-tastic credits tune rang out through my headphones.

Back in the UK last weekend, I celebrated my return home with a couple of hours of Mass Effect 3 online.¬†Home’s just not home without it. Oh, and I wasn’t around to join in the comments for last week’s WWP but KeRaSh, the clue to where I was in Germany was in the subtitle.

Always guaranteed to raise a smile following the successful conclusion of a rooftop battle.
Aran’s been revving up his chainsaw bayonet in Gears Of War: Judgment this week as he’s been playing through it for our review. Whatever you might think of the game’s campaign it’s the multiplayer that’s the series’ key strength and that’s where you’ll still find Aran spending plenty of time. He’s the one crouched behind the Boom Shield reloading his Gnasher.

A disappointing lack of local co-op has seen Blair and his flatmate sporadically controller-swapping as they play through Dead Space 3, a gaming pattern to be imminently repeated with God of War: Ascension.

He’s also been playing the “brilliant” Ridiculous Fishing.¬† It’s well worth getting “even though it’s three times the price of the standard iOS game” which, let’s face it, is still cheap.

Tuffcub sent me a very Twitter-like response this week, simply saying “Killzone 3, Captain America Super Soldier, DmC, [Need for Speed] Most Wanted on Vita” which I guess does answer the “what have you played this week” question everyone has to tolerate appearing in their inboxes.

In another alternate way of answering the same question Alex’s reply began like an introduction at a Gamers Anonymous meeting:

Hello, my name is Alex.

Hello Alex.

I like playing Luigi’s Mansion 2.

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable way of spending your free time Alex, why don’t you tell us some more about it?

It’s not because it’s the best game in the world. Not because it’s the scariest. Or the prettiest. Or the funniest.

But because it’s a really, really good game. Solid. Dependable. Reliable.

It’s not perfect, it’s not particularly deep and it’s not going to change the world.

But it’s fun. Plays well. Engages you throughout and constantly rewards.

Best thing on 3DS for ages.

That all sounds great Alex but not a reason for joining today’s Gamers Anonymous meeting, so why are you really here?

I’ve also been playing a few totally shit iPhone games.

Now that does sound like a habit worth escaping. Thank you for sharing that with us Alex. Why don’t you retake your seat and let some of the others present introduce themselves and tell us about how they’ve been sating their gaming addictions this week…

1. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

Currently I’m on the task to finish Bioshock on Survival with non harvested Little Sisters what will give me a plat for this one. I already finished the game once and was mind blown by it, so I decided to give the plat a try. Great game. Fantastic story and the world created.

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 09:13.
  2. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

This week I’ve been doing a little bit of Tomb Raider grinding with Monsieur Youles. Had a good laugh chatting bollocks whilst grinding. Finished off all collectables on Dead Space 3 apart from the last 2 co-op missions. Waiting for Youles and MJB to get to that part so Youles can help me get those bit. He’s a loveable co-op whore.

Elsewhere I decided to buy Two Worlds 2 GOTY Edition from the PSN store for a tenner. Not bad for the price but suffers a bit from frame rate issues. I’ve also been very bored at work this week so I decided to go back to Sound Shapes on the Vita to finish off the last death mode levels. 7 left to go now and all of them make me want to punch people in the face. So I decided to play through the campaign again. Glad I did as it really is a fantastic game with an awesome set of tracks. Just waiting for the 80s and Dubstep DLCs now :)

This weekend will see Youles and I and a couple of friends try for the High Maintenance trophy on Black Ops 2 zombies. We will get the bloody thing!! Also, we will be playing a lot of PS3 drinking games too but can’t say too much about that just yet ;)

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 09:14.
  3. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

I iz busy working on a secret project, hence short reply. To elaborate: BEST KILLZONE 3 MATCH EVAH! 19,325 Xp points in one match! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

Also wiped out the last NFS Most Wanted Car. I think they should change the marketing to “PlayStation Vita, letting earn trophies whilst having a poo since 2012.”

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 09:14.
    • Motalla
      Since: Dec 2011

It would be nice to do a little TSA team MP on Killzone 3. Doing that makes it also easier for us to confirm your insane score claim *cough* \(^_^)/

If anyone else but me, could throw a TSA Killzone meet, some might turn up …

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 09:33.
      • Eldave0
        andUandU

I’d be up for that. DLC is nice and cheap now too (7.99 for the entire bundle I believe).

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 11:13.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

Im up for that. Any evening will do :)

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 12:40.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

No one from the TSA Clan has been playing anyways, glad of some company.

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 12:47.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

I’m up for it, I don’t buy DLC for no one so it has to be a none DLC

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 12:53.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

OK what evening? Used to be Monday nights..

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 18:37.
      • easternjam
        Since: May 2011

I’ll also be down for a meet on KZ3, I’ve been wanting to play the multiplayer in it again for ages.

Comment posted on 23/03/2013 at 06:35.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

I’ve earned a few Wipeout Vita trophies whilst having a poo, and sent my picture during multiplayer. It was tastefully done of course. This week I’ve been demolishing Metal Gear Solid 3 HD, it looked incredible on a wee 14 inch CRT but its even better in 720p. I think perhaps Peace Walker is my favourite, it’s a cracking blend of 3 and the boring but also lavatorially-mobile Portable Ops. Perfect combo.

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 09:46.
  4. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Not much for me this week – decided to restart Tomb Raider campaign….I discovered I’d missed the first chatterbox prompt so figured it would be better to replay just the first hour rather than the entire game if I’m to go for the platinum! I also did some MP grinding with McProley….but hoping I won’t need to do much more if The General does get patched – fingers crossed!!

Then I’ve just been playing the regular slots of Dead Space 3 with MJB, and have been really experimenting with the weapon customisation!!

I’ve actually played a hell of a lot of New Star Soccer on my iPhone too, that’s a pretty fun little game. I’ve now signed for Kidderminster – go me!

I’ve got a gaming weekend setup with the boys so hoping to get a lot of co-op stuff played! And whilst writing my copy of Bioshock Infinite has (apparently) been shipped….if it does arrive (which is unlikely) I shall give that a burn!

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 09:33.
  5. hazelam

i’ve been playing this absolutely brilliant little ios game called The Blockheads.
    i saw a video about it on ign and downloaded, and i bloody loved.

initially it seems to be a cross between Minecraft and Terraria.
    and that’s actually what it is, the crafting works more like Terraria, in that you don’t need to know any recipes, you just need the right materials, graphically though it’s more like Minecraft with polygon graphics instead of the sprites used in Terraria.

it’s side on though with the world being one block thick, with a background layer based on the block above, so if you make a house out of wood it will automatically make the back wall out of that material, where in something like Terraria you have to build a wall in the background yourself.

the big difference between Minecraft/Terraria and The Blockheads though, is that you don’t have direct control of the main character, you just give her, or him, orders, and she’ll make her way there and carry them out.
    like, mine this block, place that block, craft something else.
    in practice, it’s a great way of controlling the game on a touchscreen device.
    even on the little screen of my touch, the inventory can be a little bit fiddly on such a small screen but there’s not much that can be done about that, unless you’ve got an Ipad, and it’s never unusable.
    still, hopefully the Android version they announced isn’t too far off, and it makes it to the Kindle store, so i can play it on a bigger screen.

i like the way the trees work in this.
    you get oranges, apples and cherries, and i think acorns or pinecones, you place them in the ground and they slowly grow, getting bigger and taller over time, hey Molyneux take note. ^_^

it’s a freemium title but you can play it for free if you’re patient.
    mind you, even if you’re impatient you can play it as you can you can leave it running in the background and do something else on your device, then go back to the game.
    when you go back it will pop up a little message telling you what your character did while the game was in the background.

and you can queue up a huge list of commands for her, or him, that she can happily get on with while you do something else.

though there is one option that does come in handy, you can spend a couple of quid to double the speed of all crafting in the game, crafting being one of the slower activities it’s quite handy.

you don’t have to buy that, but it speeds things up, and it’s a great way to support the developers, since the game itself is free.

here’s the video that introduced me to the game.

if you’ve got an ios device, give it a try, for free what have you got to lose?
    apart from all your free time? ^_^

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 09:41.
  6. salvodaze
    Since: Dec 2012

I shortly checked out Aether under the influence of Indie Game: The Movie. Cute and touching flash game. I really liked the game’s dev in the movie (who was in it for Super Meat Boy); actually he was the only likable character who wasn’t full of himself but obviously just as smart as the other “geniuses”.
    Also played some more Fallout: New Vegas. I really should get back to Ni no Kuni. I just can’t bring myself to play on the PS3 these days, been at home a lot lately and it gets depressing.

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 10:05.
  7. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

I’ve been playing tomb raider single player is so good,also I’ve spent hours on ni no kuni,one of the best games I’ve ever played :-) and finally I nabbed the platinum for PSASBR for the vita :-)

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 10:24.
  8. KeRaSh

Finished Tomb Raider (100% campaign), played some Ridiculous Fishing and started playing Phantasy Star Online 2 on the PC yesterday. I figured it will be much easier to get into the JP Vita version with a little knowledge that I can gather from playing a semi english patched PC version for a while first.

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 10:28.
  9. TSBonyman

I reached the last bit of Tomb Raider and although i enjoyed the game all the way through, now that i’m at the end i don’t see any replayability in it for me so i’ll be trading it in soon.
    Now apart from a few blasts of PJ Shooter, i’m eighteen hours into Mass Effect and probably won’t leave the house this weekend as i’ll be absorbed in it. Just as well the weather is shite atm :)

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 10:46.
  10. Eldave0
    andUandU

Haven’t played a huge amount this week as our new furnature arrived which has taken up most of my evenings – seriously, how on earth does a wardrobe take 7hours to put together!!

Anywho, got bored of Tomb Raider so traded it towards GoW:A. Haven’t started it yet but I did activate the free trial of PS+ and downloaded all the goodies using my friends’ 40+mb connection.
    Decided to start with Mortal Kombat and am having a blast playing it, alternating between working through the arcade ladder with each fighter and boosting wins with someone online.

Oh, I also squeezed in some Killzone3 multiplayer over the weekend and made a start on Sniper 2 Tuesday evening, the latter of which is good in SP but dull in MP (quick trophies though).

Comment posted on 22/03/2013 at 11:11.