Battlefield 4 Officially Announced, First Trailer Released

Next generation shooting from EA and DICE.

It’s here, the new Battlefield. This one’s powered by Frostbite 3 and will, according to EA, “provide a visceral, dramatic experience unlike any other.”

“Only in Battlefield can you demolish the buildings shielding your enemy. Only in Battlefield will you lead an assault from the back of a gun boat. Battlefield grants you the freedom to do more and be more while playing to your strengths and carving your own path to victory.”

The game starts with the evacuation of American VIPs from Shanghai and follows your squad’s struggle to find its way home.

PR: The video begins as the player – Recker – opens his eyes to discover that he is trapped in a rapidly sinking car with three of his squad mates. Shooting the window is the only way out. Panic and fear are pushed aside as Recker makes a difficult decision – take the shot and recover the intel but risk that not everyone will survive.

PR: Players will learn how to work together in both the Campaign and Multiplayer, issuing squad orders and comparing achievements in both experiences. Adventure and Competition will unfold through a series of beautifully crafted locations constructed with some of the best art and sound design in modern shooters.

“We are so humbled and proud to debut Battlefield 4 on a global stage with simultaneous events in San Francisco and Stockholm. To be this early in development, and to already be so polished is a huge achievement for the DICE team and reflection of their passion and commitment to driving the franchise forward,” said Patrick Soderlund, Executive Vice President, EA Games Label.

You can pre-order the game here.

1. duke
    Since: Apr 2011

Lets hope EA do a better job of launching this than they did with Sim City and Crysis 3.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 06:30.
  2. doug
    Since: Oct 2008

Looks good but so did battlefield 3 when that was shown and that turned out piss poor

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 06:49.
    • tonycawley
      Pint! Pint!

Other opinions are of course available. I for one thoroughly enjoyed bf3.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 07:45.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Yeah. Campaign was rushed & wasn’t great. Had a couple of high spots but was generally average at best… But, ooh look pretty lighting.

Hopefully more has gone into this.

Whilst it will no doubt sell a shit ton, there’s plenty of gamers who give EA titles a wide berth now, so it will be interesting to see if EA bring this back to the core or whether it’s another step towards their 69p per ammo pack future

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 08:34.
      • MadBoJangles

Yup agree that the campaign was a bit poo, but the MP was/is sublime :)

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 08:42.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

I have been majorly put off by any EA games and haven’t bought one since BF3 because I was mad about their customer service/patches/rushed game design and more. While I love Battlefield, always have, I will wait until this comes out to hear what the true gamers think. I got sucked in by the beta last time, only for it to be totally different.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 09:10.
  3. Motalla
    Since: Dec 2011

Frostbite engine 3 ? That is news for me and I find it hard to believe. Previously what was said was that they were going to use frostbite engine 2, since there was so much performance left in that engine. So my best guess is that it is still revision 2, but maybe that EA markets it as revision 3, to give us the impression that they inovate.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 07:47.
    • Trupl0
      Since: Jun 2010

I read that BF3 used about 35-40 % of the Frostbite 2.0 and the BG4 should use about 70-80% of the available engine strength. But Frostbite 3.0? I think they mistyped and thought v2.5.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 07:53.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Sounds like a marketing angle. Frostbite 2 was designed with all this in mind and cross-gen expansion.

That was the whole point of it, so they’ve naturally done more work on it as they would over time & labelled it Frostbite 3

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 08:38.
  4. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

Does look good, not sure if I’ll get it though. Way too many games in the backlog

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 08:11.
  5. Amphlett

Right then, this is my number one buy this year (next to a spanking new PS4).

I loved BF3 and for some really odd reason traded it in, I must have been crazy. I certainly won’t make the same mistake again with BF4… BF4 all the way baby!

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 08:17.
    • carson321

i was well up on BF3 as well, but didn’t actually buy any of the expansion packs even though it was so very tempting! It would have just sucked away too much of my time, i mean they are still releasing packs for it now!

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 08:41.
  6. three_leg_jake
    Since: Aug 2011

Be afraid, be very afraid. According to eurogamer.net:

‘It will also track player progress, adding persistence and “friendly competition”.’

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 08:37.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Always-on on PC & next-gen then?

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 08:39.
      • three_leg_jake
        Since: Aug 2011

That’s what I fear.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 08:58.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

if that’s the case, I’m out.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 10:08.
    • djhsecondnature

Is this any different to how Gears of War tracks your achievements, Autolog, or how Shadow Complex showed you who was ahead of you for certain things?

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 11:20.
      • teflon
        Community Team

Not really, but whereas a racing game is an appropriate fit for constant stat checking and updates on who has beaten your time, it’s a strange notion to have yourself compared to other players in an FPS single player campaign.

Add to that current “always online” controversies and generally poor PR from EA, and you’ve got a feature which will cause people to get annoyed or imply that the game’s SP will fairly needlessly require an internet connection.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 14:05.
  7. Eldave0
    andUandU

It has EA on the box and is a modern shooter. Think I’ll skip it :P

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 09:32.
  8. SpikeyMikey23

lovely

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 09:43.
    • bunimomike

Agreed. Watched a good few minutes and will enjoy the rest later. If this has a good single-player campaign I’ll pick it up in the Steam Sales several months after it releases. Not a “love” for the franchise but definitely one for me to keep an eye on.

Sound and graphics were absolutely fantastic.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 13:03.
      • teflon
        Community Team

Origin. There’s no way this game will pop up on Steam, let alone in a Steam sale!

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 14:06.
      • KeRaSh

I completely agree with Bunimomike but tef reminded me of a reason why I’ll definitely not get it. The campaign will be a 4 hour rushfest anyways, so I probably won’t miss anything.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 22:24.
  9. ProjectJAY

Anyone else notice the notification in the top corner at 2:34? “New record on Prologue”?

Yeah, I don’t want social notifications in my story-driven campaign, thanks. It ruins the immersion.

As beautiful as this game looks, I’ve lost respect for EA since the SimCity debacle, so I’ll skip this one. Just like every Battlefield game I’ve skipped since BF 1943.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 10:32.
    • the bottler
      Since: Feb 2011

No, but I did notice the trophy pop up at around the 6.35-40 mark – and judging by the way the trophy count (gold, silver, bronze etc) showed up – is this PS4 footage?

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 13:31.
      • the bottler
        Since: Feb 2011

Sorry around the 5m50 mark

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 13:34.
      • teflon
        Community Team

It said at numerous points “Press ‘E’ to enter vehicle”, so this was quite clearly played with mouse and keyboard, and so 99.99% is PC footage.
        The gold/silver/bronze stuff could always be in-game stat tracking.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 14:08.
      • the bottler
        Since: Feb 2011

Bugger. Spoil sport. :(

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 17:30.
  10. Origami Killer

Looking no different to how BF3 looked but I really enjoyed that, single player and MP alike. Hopefully can have this on the PS4.

Comment posted on 27/03/2013 at 10:40.