Subtle Hints Suggest Half Life 3 Was Shown At GDC

Interpretive dance.

Did Valve show off Half Life 3 at GDC in the last day or so? A series of subtle and not so subtle Tweets point to something rather tasty being demonstrated, and if it’s not the long-awaited next title in the rather superb first person shooter series, it’s likely to be something closely related.

Picked up by PixelEnemy [source], the first hints come from DICE’s David Goldfarb, lead designer on Battlefield 3. He said he’d seen “something nice” from the developer behind closed doors, to which Marcus Persson, inventor of Minecraft, replied back asking if it was Half Life 3.

“My silence must be interpreted as silence” replied Goldfarb; “Reply to this tweet if hl3 is confirmed,” added Persson. “I will show my answer with some interpretive dance,” said Goldfarb, as if to confirm without confirming. “Look closely.”

More? How about Interceptor Entertainment’s Dave Oshry. “Just got out of a meeting with Valve that was single-handedly worth the trip out here,” he said on Twitter. “You guys are gonna love me for this” – before hinting that a reveal might be “soon”.

Could this mean there’s something coming at E3, or even closer? Half Life 3 has been one of those games that everyone really wants but nobody knows anything about. It’s likely to come with that fabled Source engine update, if this is anything to do with Gordon Freeman…

Read more: # # #
  1. Erroneus
    Wanted "Trophy Hunter" but was too late.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONFIRMED! Wooooooooooo! Awesome news, it has to be Half-Life 3…. right? RIGHT?!

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 10:21.
    • SilverCider
      Since: Jan 2011

It was simply another face tech demo… :P

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 10:39.
      • SilverCider
        Since: Jan 2011

However, the face was that of Dr. Eli Vance… moohaaa, he lives!!
        Ahem.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 10:41.
  2. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

HL3 – Revealed at a ‘Steambox’ event, surely?

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 10:25.
  3. SilverCider
    Since: Jan 2011

Please please please please please please please and pretty please.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 10:39.
  4. Peter Chapman
    Team TSA: Editor

This has to happen, right? I mean, it has to. Please.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 10:53.
  5. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Can’t tell if Valve are trolling us or have actually decided to give us subtle hints regarding Half Life 3. I suspect they will release a trailer at E3 this year and announce it as a next gen game. It will be a 10/10 game as i can see them doing their best to finish off Gordon Freeman’s Story and because they’ve had a while to work on it. Also, because Valve rarely release naff games.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 10:58.
  6. Blair Inglis
    hisnameisblair

I’d much rather have Portal 3.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 11:16.
    • Adam Garrett
      Community Manager

I feel it’s too soon for another Portal. Loved the game, but I think a game like that benefits from a big gap between releases. Pretty much like all Valve games in that respect!

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 12:02.
    • The Lone Steven
      Never heard of him.

Tis too soon for another Portal game. We’ve been waiting for Half Life 3 since 2007ish. I can see parts of Portal being in Half Life 3. Also, Valve have managed to count to three!? :O

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 12:10.
      • Blair Inglis
        hisnameisblair

what if HL3 and Portal 2 are the same game?

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 12:14.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

Then that would be fecking awesome! Although i suspect Peter will bully his way into reviewing it. :P

But doesn’t Portal 2 take place 200 years after Half Life? I can’t see Gordon Freeman meeting Chell in Half Life 3 if it takes place in the year 200X. Unless he ends up in the Aperture Science testing complex and he ends up having to take part in the tests or die. And then procceed to have cake.

Or it could be that they will release Portal 3 on the same disc as Half Life 3. My wallet will really despise me when it is released.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 12:41.
  7. TSBonyman

Sounds like there will be an official reveal soon, i would love it to be HL3.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 12:09.
  8. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

I think I’ve only played a tiny bit of HL2, never saw what the fuss was about really. The original Portal was way better.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 12:48.
    • Loxstokk
      Since: Aug 2010

If you haven’t played through HL2 then you should be stripped of your license to play computer games. Rectify this situation!!!

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 14:16.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

I can see where this notion comes from. Half Life 2, when it was released, was amazing but every FPS (and many other games) since has tried to emulate it – some in very minor ways and some in much more obvious ways.

So people used to playing games over the past 5 years might return to HL2 and think “what’s the fuss, this is just like most FPS games” – like when people revisit Hitchcock’s movies and complain that they just pull the same tricks as many other suspense films. That’s the problem with largely defining a genre, I suppose.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 16:35.
      • Severn2j

Funnily enough I did just that a few months ago, because I’d never actually finished it and even after 8 odd years, it still plays really well and looks decent too. the puzzles it creates with the physics engine helps to make it stand out amongst FPSs even today.

Those black head crabs still give me the willies.. Brrr!

Comment posted on 30/03/2013 at 09:55.
  9. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

So much for episodic content! I am excited though, I played the games again last year, they’re all still cracking games!

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 14:04.
  10. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

I didn’t really like HL2… It all felt rather mediocre to me, from the level design to the driving physics to the shooting. The characters were decent enough, but the enemies were a bit meh, and Freeman was a joke.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 16:43.
    • theddd1
      Banned
      Since: Apr 2013

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 18/04/2013 at 03:24.