Feature

What We Played #98: Velocity Ultra, Bioshock Infinite, Crash Team Racing

The one where the tutorial should not be forgotten.

Getting a chance to play Velocity Ultra has rekindled Kris’ interest in the original PlayStation minis Velocity.  While he says “it may not be as good as Velocity Ultra” the big upside is that he can play it now.  ”[Velocity] really is incredible, and probably the most fun I’ve had with a game since early Sonic games. Hyper addictive too.”

He’s also played a little bit of Cities in Motion which he says is “quite possibly the slowest game I’ve ever played”. It doesn’t sound like it’s a game that indulges in excessive hand-holding either. “It’s also crazy inaccessible in a ‘F*ck you, we’ve explained this briefly in the tutorial and if you can’t remember it it’s your own fault. You think real city planners get help? Hell no. Now shut up and build a bus route.’ Somehow that just makes it incredible.”

Josh has been rediscovering the joy to be had from getting a bunch of friends together for some split-screen racing, playing “everything from Crash Team Racing to MotorStorm: Apocalypse” while also managing to get his girlfriend hooked on Split/Second.

He’s been hoovering up a few outstanding trophies too, picking the last few he needed for LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4, Need for Speed Undercover and Assassin’s Creed 3: Liberation.  As Metal Gear Solid 2 was on PlayStation Plus he took it out for a spin “but my god the camera and controls in that game are awful, I doubt I’ll be going back to it”.

Like Peter I’ve played a bit of Bioshock Infinite but you’re spared my inane ramblings on it as Peter’s view is much the same but he says it much more eloquently:

I really love the world they’ve created but I still have reservations about the way the game handles. BioShock (the first) was a fantastic world, story and atmosphere but a fairly poor game through which you experienced that – in terms of how it controlled and the mechanics of death, ability upgrades, etc. Infinite seems like it still suffers slightly from that but I’m not sure if that’s simply because I need to adjust my controller settings (I’m playing on PC).

Aran is trying to do something about his pile of shame which has now grown to an estimated 300 hours of game time.  He’s not helping himself though as this week he bought Beyond Good & Evil HD.  He’s been pleasantly surprised to find that it’s not the linear experience he was expecting “but instead it has a small open world with different things to do”.

In Assassin’s Creed 3 he’s been playing through the game’s side quests as he’s found “they’re a much better way to explore the game world”.  He’s spent hours just roaming the Frontier either hunting or attacking forts “but who can really call them forts if one man in a hood can overrun it?”

What he chooses to call “a bad luck streak” is hampering his enjoyment of Gears of War: Judgment as he is greeted with “loss after loss and not getting the kills I would like”.  He would also like to see more multiplayer maps added.

Last up this week is Blair who, if you’ve been paying attention to the site you will already know, has been playing Bioshock Infinite and is quite taken with it as well as developing a crush on Elizabeth.

I’m pretty confident that after a week of playing, it’s the best game I’ve ever played. I even went back to Portal 2 just to see and – even though it was good – it just couldn’t compare to the heights of Infinite.

Maybe his next love letter will be addressed to Ken Levine? Those of you involved in our Black Ops II League will know that the team Blair’s in Team C have finally recorded their first win.  Finishing top of the league is beyond their reach though so their aim is to simply not finish last.  So all that’s left to add on that is “go team Bob!”

Have you all been dangling from Columbia’s skyrails this week or has something else been keeping you busy?

1. Blair Inglis
    hisnameisblair

Dear Ken,

thanks mate.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 12:28.
  2. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Bioshock is the first game of the year that I’ve thought about when not playing it; constantly wanting to get back to it but reserving myself to savour every possible moment. It’s pretty gosh dern fantastic. I have played nothing else this week.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 12:43.
  3. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Bioshock & virtue tennis on the vita.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 12:45.
  4. tactical20

Got about 3/4 of the way through Aliens: Colonial Marines. Finding it quite difficult actually, but enjoying it as a big fan of the franchise. Think I watched Aliens nearly every day for about a year when it came out on VHS!

Then picked up Tomb Raider mid week, so stuck that in the PS3, initially for a quick 5 mins, but ended up playing it straight for about 8 hours! Brilliant game.

Just bagged Dead Space 3, so looking forward to that too.

Got LOTS of long nights with the new born boy, so playing a lot of games at the mo! All 3 of those games came to £59.97 in total. All brand new, from various online retailers. Want Bioshock and GoW too, but there is literally no point paying RRP, as they’ll be half
    price in a month!

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 12:53.
  5. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

Currently playing some online multiplayer in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon and Killzone 3.

The online multiplayer in Ace Combat in really fun, if you forget about K/D ration and focus on completing objectives (Capital Conquest and Domination). The action is very fast, each destroyed objective (or killed enemy) feels like a real accomplishment. It’s really rewarding. I dont’ really know why I did not play it sooner, got the game from “day one” but (probably because I was angry on how it’s not like previous AC games) somehow stopped playing it. Good to see that the online community is still active ^^.

Because of Tuffcub (btw. not nice create a TSA meet and play for an hour ><), I recently dusted off Killzone 3. Damn, the game is great. It has some frustrating issues (loading, freezes, connection lost etc.), but overall it's great. Audio/Video factors are top of the class. I love how you can feel the weight of the controlled character and weapon used. So much different from other shooters. I've played BF3 for over 700h in multiplayer and to play this is refreshing my soul ^^.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 13:15.
  6. Origami Killer

I’ve been playing BioShock Infinite – really fantastic setting, looks wonderful on PC at low quality even, and satisfying combat. Elizabeth’s character is certainly something special too. So far so good.
    I’ve also spent an hour or two on Slender: The Arrival. For some reason it runs dreadfully. For it to run smooth the game looks far from pretty. Apart from that the atmosphere is still there. Haven’t been able to progress that far as of yet, as you have to collect all 8 pages to complete the stage which is proving harder than I imagined.
    I’m still working my way through the Prince Of Persia collection too. Quarter of my way into The Sands of Time which has been great so far. Sadly I ran into a problem with Warrior Within; I encountered a game breaking bug. Happened when I played the PS2 game, and it’s happened again nine years later. The Two Thrones has been great so far though, better than I remembered.
    Aliens Colonial Marines has seen a bit of action too. Terrible, terrible game. Struggling to finish it.
    Also played a little of Metro 2033, BioShock (the first) and COD 4. Have Civilization 5 downloading which I’, looking forward to playing.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 13:30.
    • Origami Killer

Bloody hell, this is the most I’ve ever played in a week. In between assignment writing and all!

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 13:32.
  7. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

I’ve also been playing bioshock infinite,so damn good! Even put ni no kuni aside for a while :-) vita wise I’ve been playing jet pack joy ride and a bit of frobisher says,oh and a bit of Simpsons tapped out here and there.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 13:48.
  8. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

I’ve just finished the Metal Gear HD collection, I have to say its been immense value for money. Hunting down the platinum in each game seems very possible, I’ve done one and that took nearly 100 hours, I can imagine if you wanted all 3 there’s at least 200 hours of amusement for £30. Martin Lewis would go hard for such value. Now I’m giving Snake a rest, playing some Chinatown Wars on the old PSP. It’s an amazing game for a portable, though getting your bearings in the city is bloody hard with the top down view always spinning around. Its a shame GTA 1 and 2 never made it into the PSP.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 14:22.
  9. Megamoppy
    Since: Apr 2012

Played (and loved) Bioshock Infinite and the odd burst of Gears Of War Judgement with friends.

Speaking of Bioshock Infinite I created a thread in the forum about the ending which i’d like to get some opinions on, needless to say there are MAJOR SPOILERS so don’t click through unless you’ve completed the game http://www.thesixthaxis.com/forum/game-threads/bioshock-infinite-spoilers/#p237764

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 16:14.
  10. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

I picked up Bioshock:Infinite and it is excellent. Columbia is the complete opposite of Rapture and is stunning to look at. With the locked framerate, the game looks stunning and it looks like a PC game. :O Elizabeth is easily one of the best written characters of 2013. I suspect i’m nearing the end. Probably just 3-6 hours left of gameplay. I suspect that the ending will be even sadder then Bioshock 2′s pure good ending. :O No-one even hint at what it is as i really don’t want it spoiled for me!

Also been playing Sleeping Dogs. Tis excellent and easily beats GTA4. That said, any decent open world game beats that.

Comment posted on 29/03/2013 at 18:33.