If Sony Charge For Online Play On PS4, Would You Jump Ship?

PlayStation Plus Plus.

At the moment, on PlayStation 3 and PS Vita, online multiplayer is free – that is, you don’t need to pay an additional monthly subscription to get online and battle your mates. But in 2010 Sony introduced PlayStation Plus, and although it’s still free to play online, the service has become more and more encapsulating over the years.

Rumours abound (from various levels of reliability, of course) that there could be multiple tiers of Plus next generation. Sony themselves have been sending out questionnaires to that effect, you’ll remember, and Plus is absolutely crucial to the company going forward.

“We’re not yet in a position to disclose our plans for the future of PlayStation Plus,” said Jim Ryan recently, “but there will definitely be a prominent role to play for it in the PlayStation 4 landscape.”

And although Microsoft are likely to continue to charge for various services as part of their Xbox Live subscriptions, it would be folly to think that Sony would stick to their guns for when the PS4 rolls around. Take up of Xbox Live is solid and always has been, but then it’s generally considered to be a more ‘complete’ service, all in.

If Sony bundle online play with the current PlayStation Plus subscription it’s hard to imagine too many core gamers being that put out – Plus represents great value and provides loads of games over a twelve month period. But if (theoretically) Sony push Plus to two or even more tiers, and online play requires another fiver a month, how would you feel?

It’s unlikely they’ll do this, of course, at least the multiple tiers bit, but the idea does appear to have been bandied around the Sony offices at at least one point in time, and has never been fully explained away to our knowledge…

1. Pesico
    Since: Sep 2008

I wouldn’t. Been a PlayStation gamer since PS1, and I don’t intend to stop anytime soon.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:25.
  2. gideon1451

Just ship to where? I need my gaming fix.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:26.
    • jimmy-google

Exactly my thought, for me there isn’t another viable games console with free online.

I’d probably have plus anyway but it wouldn’t be because of the online. If it was a separate cost I wouldn’t pay it.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:55.
  3. posem

I think Sony have released this gen how much money and new consumers have jumped to their platform BECAUSE of the free online, thats been a HUGE seller in most of their tv adverts, broadcast proudly front and center. So I wouldnt be surprised to see it again next gen

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:28.
    • a inferior race
      I'm special

I don’t recall seeing it in many of the adverts at all.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 13:22.
  4. elpablo79

I wouldn’t be fully against being charged online, it really does depend on the costing side of things. I have been a PS+ subscriber since pretty much the beginning, and I have genuinely been consistently surprised how little it costs for what you get. I would hope that continues, and if internet is charged within that, even an extra £10, it would be an amazing deal.

Although, I aren’t interested in some of the social integration features so it would be nice if I could pay less to get rid of them, ha ha. Realistically though, I would imagine if they were to charge for online, it would be separate from Plus, but then maybe a bundle for both at a reduced price. Maddeningly, I imagine online passes would still exist, which is kind of like being charged twice for online (if you’re a user of second hand titles anyway).

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:32.
  5. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

Where would I jump to for my console gaming kicks? The WiiU?

To be honest, I don’t play online all that much anyway, and probably wouldn’t pay for it unless something else was bundled in.

And finally, there’s the service which seems to have been designed almost specifically to stop people from jumping ship- PS+.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:34.
    • cam the man

Same here, if it’s part of PS+ where you don’t have to pay extra would suit me as, like colmshan, I don’t play online a lot.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 13:13.
  6. Topgearsam

If they do it where would you jump ship too? You have to pay for Xbox live as well.
    I wouldn’t as I will always be a playstation plus member but it would definitely stop other gamers who aren’t as big into gaming as me. And I think it would hit Sony hard as many people consider Xbox live a better experience then Psn.
    So if they do it they will have to spend a lot on advertising and prove to people why they should pay for it over Xbox live.
    Hopefully they don’t though as being free is Playstation’s main selling point over Xbox.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:37.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

Wii U? Mobile? PC?

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:40.
      • Topgearsam

I don’t feel like Wii U and mobile online and gaming experiences are going to be up there with what the Ps4 and Xbox infinite/720 are going to offer.
        As for PC it’s great thanks to steam but a bit out of many people’s price range if you want to have a high end gaming PC and get as much out of it as possible.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:56.
  7. eye8have9you3

I wouldn’t ‘jump ship’ to xbox or wii u, but it would stop me from getting a PS4 I’ve got a decent PC which I’d use for new releases, and keep my ps3 going for those games which really need to be played on a console, probably just FIFA, until they stop releasing it on PS3.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:44.
  8. hol
    Since: Oct 2009

I’ll not be jumping ship, I’m not a huge fan of the Xbox & have been a Playstation user since I got off the PC upgrade monthly rebuild. ;)

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:46.
  9. Haydar
    Since: Mar 2012

As long as the alternative is Microsoft:

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:48.
  10. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

With each passing year I’ve played online less anyway, it peaked a few years ago for me. A charge would ensure I never went online. Not fussed.

I’m still 50:50 whether to bother with PS4 at all anyway with PC being right up there in my mind too.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 12:48.