You

WeView Verdict: BioShock 2

Time to shock your biology.

Given the reaction that BioShock Infinite’s been getting since its release, I was quite interested to see how BioShock 2 compared. I wasn’t really expecting it to live up to the near universal love that I’ve been seeing for Infinite but, as someone who’s never really clicked with the BioShock series, I wanted to see how the two games compared.

The general consensus seems to be that not only is BioShock 2 not at the same level as BioShock Infinite, it didn’t live up to the standards set by the original BioShock either. sabbat7001 was of this opinion, saying that the main problem is that “the first game set the bar so damned high,” which was compounded by a sense that “the tale had been told” in BioShock.

Paulo Vinicius Radtke fell into the same category, saying that “It’s a decent shooter, although not even close to it’s predecessor.” The other problem he found was that it just didn’t fit with the original game’s story. For example he felt that “Given Lamb’s importance in the second game (and evidence of interactions with Ryan), it feels awkward that there was no significant mention of her in the first game,” and that these kind of problems “break the illusion of a coherent universe.”

Origami Killer came at the game from another direction, having not played BioShock before playing the sequel. It seems that playing it without the original to compare it to is a better approach, as he seemed to enjoy it a lot more than those who’d played the original title first. He was a big fan of Rapture, and “particularly liked the late 50′s vibe” that fills the underwater city. He also “had a lot of fun playing around with plasmids and drilling people to death, even if that sounds a little morbid,” which is one of my favourite quotes in a while.

We should of course consider the biggest difference with the first game, the addition of multiplayer. It’s safe to say that it wasn’t all that popular, with Eldave0 calling it half-baked, while XisTG said he’d tried it “a couple of times but there was nothing in there to keep me coming back.” Then there was The Lone Steven, who complained about the overall setting of the multiplayer, saying that while “It is meant to protray the civil war… it doesn’t pull it off.” In fact there wasn’t a positive word said about the addition of multiplayer, with sabbat7001 summing it up by saying it was “tacked on because that’s what all the cool kids are doing”.

Overall it seems that while the game wasn’t bad, it simply didn’t live up to the standard set by BioShock. As such, four of you rated it Buy It, while six selected Bargain Bin It as their rating. That means that Bargain Bin It comes out on top this week, advice that should be easy to follow this long after release.

Finally, there’s the poll for next week’s WeView title. The Amazing Spider-Man and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword return, while Hitman: Absolution makes its first appearance, as does the first Wii U game to be put up to the vote, New Super Mario Bros. U. As always you’ve got until the end of Sunday to get your votes in.

Read more: # #
  1. yogdog
    Since: Feb 2010

Great game, loved the multiplayer and the singleplayer, and I don’t know why people rate it so badly.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 14:16.
  2. Origami Killer

Only just started the first now since my comment last week, and played over 4 hours of Infinite, so still can’t make any comparisons of yet :)

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 14:27.
    • Origami Killer

And I’ve just completed Infinite, and BioShock 2 doesn’t even come close to it!

Comment posted on 02/04/2013 at 00:13.
  3. retrozoid

For me in many ways Bioshock 2 was my favourite, the story was much better than the first and the ending was sensational..The multiplayer could have been left out as it was not needed. Maybe it got poor reviews due to the expectation of being groundbreaking.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 14:46.
  4. matthangzhou
    Since: Sep 2010

Still stand by my review. It’s a damn fine game and everything about it is well above average: the graphics, story, settling, music even multiplayer.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 15:49.
  5. fattyuk
    Since: Apr 2010

Wow surprised about the multiplayer comments I actually enjoyed bioshocks online multiplayer….actually saying that Ive loved all the dlc for both games…saying that though I just love bioshock from the skys to the seas!

“sabbat7001 summing it up by saying it was “tacked on because that’s what all the cool kids are doing” – And the even “cooler kids” make comments like this (and the none cool kids make comments like this about this)

“The Lone Steven, who complained” … nuff said.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 16:31.
  6. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

The Multiplayer was okay but it failed to stand out. Well, the plasmids and big daddies did help but it was just there for the sack of MP. As for the Single Player, it is far better then the first one. The first one lost it’s momentum after the twist and just became a bit of a chore to play. Bioshock 2 never lost it’s momentum and made you feel sorry for Subject Delta , who is just big daddy that is only trying to get to his little Sister. The Alpha series of Big Daddies were bounded to one little sister and if they are away from her for too long they will shut down and die.

The Civil War had potential to be handled well via Multiplayer but it was just You fighting for Altas or Ryan and that’s it. In fact, the Civil War could be done in another Rapture game.

I would heavily reccomend picking it up. I am glad that Bioshock 2 seems to be the last Rapture based game as Rapture is more or less finished as a city due to the events of 1 and 2. And seeing the same ruined city would get boring in a third game.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 17:14.
    • fattyuk
      Since: Apr 2010

Rapture would be borng in a 3rd game??

Bioshocks got a cult following and I’m more than certain alot of people would love to go back to rapture!

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER ALERT BIOSHOCK INFINITE DO NOT READ.

SPOILER SPOILER

……

((555555 it was great seeing rapture at the end of infinite and hope they make some dlc for it 5555555))

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 17:27.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

Yes it would as seeing Rapture for the third time in it’s ruined state would get repitive. You do realise that putting SPOILER alert doesn’t hide the spoiler and people can still accidentally read it if they are scrolling through the comments.

I can see many things happening for the DLC for Bioshock:Infinite but i won’t discuss it here as it will result in spoilers.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 17:44.
      • fattyuk
        Since: Apr 2010

A 3rd rapture story wouldnt have be a direct sequel and infinite has proved that

:0)

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 18:40.
    • yogdog
      Since: Feb 2010

‘The multiplayer was ok but failed to stand out’.

Knowing you Steven, have you actually even played it? And if so, more than a couple of matches? Idiotic statements like that would suggest not.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 19:03.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

I have played it and appericate being called an idiot. I didn’t realise that i wasn’t allowed to have an opinion about the multiplayer unless i’ve played it nonstop.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 20:23.
      • fattyuk
        Since: Apr 2010

Well said yogdog I didn’t really have the balls to say it myself,

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 20:49.
      • teflon
        Community Team

On the other hand, maybe it’s just not for him?

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 21:05.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

For your information. I have invested a lot of hours in Bioshock 2’s MP and i still believe it is okay but fails to stand out as it’s just the normal MP that most games have. There were no modes that stood out from the Multiplayer and the multiplayer itself was mostly played as a deathmatch. This is just my personal opinion on it. Okay, the ability to play as a Big Daddy in some matches was decent but it just felt a bit sluggish and to be honest, not very fun to play as one.

The maps were mostly recycled stuff from the single player of both games but that is just the common thing throughout every MP in gaming. The Civil War plot was poorly told. In fact, it would have been better off without any story for the MP. And you could only play as one Splicer instead of the ones we encounter in the single player. It would have been interesting to play as a Spider Splicer and it could have resulted in several types of gameplay depending on the Splicer. Spider could have been stealthish, the Brute, brawling and incredibly tough but is unable to use Plasmids and so forth. They could have allowed us to play as a big sister or even a Big Daddy vs Big Sisters mode and so forth. Instead we got a glorifed deathmatch with plasmids and piss poor plot telling of the civil war.

If this still makes me an idiot, then so be it. Because unlike Yogdog, i don’t call people’s opinion idiotic statements thus implying they are idiots.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 21:14.
      • fattyuk
        Since: Apr 2010

Opinion noted….

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 21:20.
      • yogdog
        Since: Feb 2010

Steven, you often make uninformed statements on games despite never having played them, hence why I can’t trust your opinion. Sure, everyone’s allowed an opinion and I’m sure plenty out there disagree with mine, but I don’t give my opinion on something unless I actually have the knowledge or experiences to back it up, unlike you.

Besides, in response to your arguments:

1) It was never about the plot, ever, and it was just a veneer added on top of the mode. Would you mark down Battlefield or Call of Duty, or Uncharted which I know you like for having a multiplayer mode due to there being no/a rubbish plot?

2) In fact, use the above point for nearly all your points, Bioshock 2 did what other shooters do but tweaked stuff enough to stand out from the crowd if you gave it a chance. Telekinesis, shooting flames and electricity (and hell, a swarm of insects) from your hands, a varied and different amount of weapons, plenty of game modes (such as capture the sister as well as the usual deathmatches), so it was sufficiently different from other FPS multiplayer modes to distinguish itself. It just sounds like you’re jumping on the bandwagon like you do with most things.

3) You ask for a Big Daddy vs Big Sister game mode despite not liking to play as the Big Daddy? Eh? Also, if no one found it fun no one would go straight for the suit as soon as it appeared in-game so I think that you’re in the minority in that respect.

4) Yes, the maps were recycled from the single player of both games, but they were unique looking maps in the first place in the single player so why’s that a problem?

So, in conclusion: I take no issue with you not liking it and having your own opinion… however, I DO take issue with you saying that it failed to stand out. Also, to add, I never called you an idiot, I just said that it was an idiotic statement that you made, and I still stand by that remark.

Comment posted on 01/04/2013 at 23:42.