Batman: Arkham Origins Announced, WB Montreal Developing

Eric Holmes heading up this brand new adventure, out this October.

As previously rumoured, Batman: Arkham Origins is real, having been officially announced this afternoon. Exclusive rights (as is often the case) have headed the way of Game Informer, who say the game takes place years before both of the previous Arkham titles “when a young, unrefined Batman encounters many supervillains for the first time”.

The game will feature the assassin Deathstroke.

Eric Holmes assumes the role of Creative Director on the game – he’s previously worked on The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Prototype – with Warner Bros. Games Montreal on development duties instead of usual studio Rocksteady.

The game will be released on the 25th of October on Wii U, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC.

There’ll also be a handheld “spin-off” developed by Armature Studios, which according to the limited information currently available apparently plays out like a “2.5D Metroid-style adventure”. Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate will appear on both 3DS and PS Vita.

1. Forrest_01

I still don’t get why Rocksteady aren’t doing this. Their previous games have been excellent.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 16:30.
    • Kris Lipscombe
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Mar 2009

Rumours seems to be they’re working on another Batman game.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 16:31.
      • Forrest_01

Ooh! Rumours is rumours, but that’s at least a good rumour! :)

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 16:40.
      • Person678
        BOOM! Headshot!
        Since: Jan 2009

Looks like a Bioshock 2 kind of scenario then. Will be interesting to see what Rocksteady comes out with. Calling it, Arkham Infinite.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 17:04.
  2. KeRaSh

Oh, new dev studio? I might actually enjoy this then!
    Let’s see how the 2.5D Metroid-style adventure Vita version turns out.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 16:31.
    • Forrest_01

You saying you didn’t enjoy the Arkham games??? Mental.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 16:40.
      • KeRaSh

Arkham Asylum was definitely the worst game I have played this generation and without a doubt one of the worst games I have ever played. I’m not exaggerating…

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 16:46.
      • Airiaen

I played them too, and I don’t get why.. just didn’t get along with it well. Sure the combat and art-style is great but I never was interested.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 16:51.
      • Forrest_01

Each to their own of course, but my personal opinion is that they are some of the best Superhero games ever to grace a console. Not the highest accolade there of course (as many Superhero games are just crappy), but i found them both really enjoyable.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 17:46.
  3. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

This sounds excellent and it will be interesting to see how the gameplay reflects the Bat’s abitilities before he refined them. I am a bit disappointed that Rocksteady are not developing it but i do hope that WB will do it justice. I wonder if it will start with Bruce Wayne watching his parents get murdered then start off as Bruce’s first night as Batman?

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 16:45.
    • Forrest_01

Blimey, i take it that you mean there is a bit of a time lapse between the murder & Batmans inception, as i don’t think he bacame the caped crusader as a child! ;)

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 17:44.
      • Ryan1991

A Batman: Year One game could be good but I’m still hoping for Batman ’66. I would genuinely be more excited if that got announced today instead.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 18:14.
  4. Origami Killer

Never enjoyed either of the Batman games from RockSteady, don’t kill me, but I’m still interested to know more about this :)

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 18:02.
  5. Eldur
    Since: Nov 2012

I’m almost more excited by the Vita game… A Metroidvania game, based on Batman, developed by the guys who handled Metroid Prime? That makes me one very happy fanboy…

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 18:05.
    • Kivi95
      Since: Oct 2009

I’m just holding my thumbs that the psvita version will be the lead version and not a simple port of the 3DS version :(.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 18:26.
  6. Omac_brother
    Since: Nov 2011

More Batman is more Batman. Sign me up.
    If Armature can do as good a mobile spin off as AssCreed Liberation, I will be a happy gamer.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 18:17.
  7. Unterred
    Since: Oct 2009

Loved the arkham games definately interested in this

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 20:16.
  8. Owendarko

Really looking forward to this! Strangely enough im more excited about the Vita/3DS Batman game at the moment..

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 12:07.
  9. ClubberLang
    Since: Jul 2010

Ign have reported that Eric Holmes said “Batman hasn’t become the character that we know and are very familiar with.”

I’m sure it’s been taken out of context (possibly even misquoted) because I thought they totally nailed the grim nature of Batman and his crusade against crime.

If they do a Joel Schumacher Imma go nuts!

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 14:03.