Thatgamecompany's Next Will "Change The Industry In A Really Positive Way" Says Former Game Designer

Asher Vollmer has high hopes for the Journey developer's next game.

Asher Vollmer, who was a game designer at thatgamecompany for ten months, has confirmed that he’s left the company this week. Speaking on his own personal blog, Vollmer has decided to go independent and do his own thing.

“My friends, family, and even the entirety of TGC have been nothing but kind and supportive,” he said. “I can’t reiterate enough how lucky I am to be surrounded by a loving network of people who believe in me and what I’m capable of. I am eternally grateful.”

But he did set up some initial discussion on thatgamecompany’s next title.

“The New Game they’re making isn’t just something that you can casually abandon,” he said. “Obviously I can’t divulge any details about it, but… It’s going to be huge. And I don’t mean it’s going to be a long sprawling game, I mean it’s going to be an IMPORTANT game.”

“I genuinely believe it’s going to change the industry in a really positive way.”

“The Game is going to be incredible, but it is moving slowly,” he continued to tease. “There are YEARS remaining on the project and, quite frankly, those are years I don’t want to give up for a game that isn’t truly mine.”

TGC’s last game, Journey, won pretty much every award it was up for last year. It does not, as the wicked April Fools video above indicates, have a rocket deathmatch mode.

Via CVG.

1. TSBonyman

Sounds promising, shame we’ll have to wait a few years but if it’s as important as he says it’ll be worth the wait.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 11:42.
  2. Eldave0
    andUandU

You never know, this might be the first TGC game I actually enjoy, lol. Certainly like the idea of them breathing a bit of life into a tired industry.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 11:42.
  3. quinkill
    Since: Oct 2010

Loved TGC’s trilogy on PS3, and especially Journey. I think they’re one to really watch. Probably my favourite developer right now.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 12:22.
  4. KeRaSh

What he’s actually trying to say is he doesn’t want to risk working on a ship that almost sank while trying to get their last game out of the door.
    If it’s such an important title, then surely it would be an honor being part of that project.
    Considering TGC almost went bankrupt towards the end of Journey’s development and with all the recent departures, I’m not sure how they can justify spending a few years on their next title when development is being described as moving slowly.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 12:42.
    • salvodaze
      Since: Dec 2012

Because Journey sold really really well and still is, actually. It was the number 2 PSN title just this week in the US. The hype helped it tremendously for a really long time.
      TGC is sophisticated, creative and detail-oriented, I’ll definitely give them that. Flower is simply gorgeous, Journey is truely unique at what it does. They got me at referencing Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s (best name ever yeah?) concept of Flow in a video game actually called “Flow”. Smart work indeed. So I’m glad the hype actually helped them so much.
      My question is, this supposedly groundbreaking game will arrive for next-gen and maybe PC right? Not for the PS3?

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 18:42.
  5. bunimomike

What the hell did I just watch??!!

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 13:35.
    • salvodaze
      Since: Dec 2012

Haha, it’s the April fools video.

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 18:33.
  6. Mike
    Since: Oct 2008

I think the title is missing a word :p

Comment posted on 09/04/2013 at 14:12.
  7. Cort
    Since: Mar 2009

Hasn’t TGC’s exclusivity deal with Sony now expired? Or was that Q Games? Or am I talking uninformed nonsense?

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 00:30.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

You’re right, it was a three game deal – Flow, Flower and Journey. They already said their next game will be for more than one platform because limiting their customer base to the PS3 almost bankrupted them (they actually completely ran out of money while making Journey).

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 00:59.