Yoshida Explains Why Knack Was The First PS4 Game Ever Shown

"Yeah, we hate to see all the PS4 games being FPS or action-adventure or very photorealistic."

Mark Cerny’s pet project, Knack, was the first PlayStation 4 game demonstrated at the reveal. But why, when the big sellers tend to be big-name first person shooters? Well, that was down to Sony boss Shuhei Yoshida, who says “we hate to see all the PS4 games being FPS or action-adventure or very photorealistic” and wanted to stay away from “big-budget blockbuster games.”

“We know that people like these games, but these are not the only kinds of games that people can have fun with,” Yoshida added. The SCEI head also confirmed that the PS4 project started back in 2008, before the PlayStation Vita in fact, although both projects were worked on simultaneously.

According to the article in this month’s Edge magazine (and available online here), the idea for Knack was Cerny’s himself. “What about a Crash Bandicoot for PS4?” he asked, befoire showing off concepts for what would become Knack, above. Whilst the game clearly isn’t a Crash Bandicoot in mechanics, there are similarities in tone, and PlayStation – to some – is still lacking a cutesy brand character.

The PS4 is expected this year, although details are yet to be announced.

1. Airiaen

Whats wrong with Sackboy???

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 09:41.
  2. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

Isn’t sackboy sonys cutesy brand character?
    Thought knack was the least interesting part of the whole presentation except when they showed off vita remote play.

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 09:48.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Every time a character rises to mascot status with Sony they seem to leave it behind. I suppose, for better or worse, they’re making a conscious decision not to be known as a Sonic machine or a Mario machine.

I too thought Knack was pretty weak in a reveal event. Elements of it looked like a PS2 title for a start, until it got going a bit, even then the whole thing was anti-climatic.

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 10:46.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

I really like the look of it reminded me of a pixar movie.

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 16:12.
  3. kjkg
    Since: Apr 2010

Even Knack, which I found anti-climatic, is on my radar. I genuinely don’t think I can cope for ~7-10 months of reading PS4 but not playing PS4.

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 09:51.
  4. KeRaSh

I think Yoshida made the right choice. While Knack is not the flagship game I want from the PS4, it’s no shooter and that’s enough for me.

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 10:11.
  5. Mithrandir
    Since: Oct 2012

Knack was like presenting the new Ferrari, and showing it in the suburbs, stating it’s not about speed.

It’s ALL about the polygons! (and yes, Sackboy is much more loveable)

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 10:46.
  6. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

Knack is one of my most anticipated games.

Cerny has a remarkable CV- Sonic 2, Crash 1-3, Spyro 1-3, Ratchet etc.

It looked good (where are coming from with PS2 comments cc_star?), is in a genre I love and directed by someone who not only clearly knows how to design games, but was also the lead architect of the PS4 itself.

Can’t see it being anything but a great game.

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 11:08.
  7. bunimomike

Glad they showed Knack as it highlighted diversity. Something I’m not sure Sony’s competitors can truly say they do. If you look at some of the wonderful games Sony’s helped bring to life, you can see why they want to continue that pattern. Hell, especially when the indie developers are genuinely excited about the PS4!

Long may it continue and long may others learn from this.

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 11:48.
  8. Bilbo_bobbins

Definitely the right choice, good planning by Sony. Not everyone likes FPS and they want the ps4 to be for not just adults but the younger generation too. They could possible take a lot of customers away from Wii U because of the lack of games too.

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 12:07.
  9. JumpyStag
    Since: Apr 2013

Hell, I’d probably take Knack over Killzone SF.

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 16:21.
  10. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

I think I’ll really like Knack, especially since he looks like he’s made of Toblerone.

Comment posted on 10/04/2013 at 18:52.