Free To Play Ridge Racer Coming To PS3 This Year

DRIFTOPIA. Right.

Ridge Racer Unbounded was pretty good, even if it wasn’t really a traditional Ridge Racer game. Today NAMCO have revealed a brand new Ridge Racer game – due for PlayStation 3 and PC – seemingly based on Unbounded. It’s the same developers, at least.

The difference is that it’s free to play. That is, the core game will be free, with (presumably) different car packs available as premium add-ons.

The last Ridge Racer to appear rather content-lite was the Vita launch title, one that despite actually turning out alright once you’d grabbed the expansions still reviewed relatively poorly considering the game’s tight controls remained intact.

Ridge Racer Driftopia (yes, that’s its name) is due this year for PS3 and PC.

1. webby_15-0

I can imagine the free version will be incredibly basic. Hope I’m proven wrong though. Either way, I’ll definitely get it, there’s no reason not to, being free and all that.

Comment posted on 11/04/2013 at 22:42.
    • cam the man

‘ incredibly basic’, just like the Vita one then.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:57.
  2. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Perhaps the name is a sign of some changes coming to the series; Utopias never seem to last, with all the Bioshock games being good examples. Will this lead to some sort of car-based revolution set in a world full of ideological motorheads?
    Not such a stupid name after all…

Comment posted on 11/04/2013 at 22:45.
  3. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

I bet the free version will only have about 3 tracks and 1 car, everything else you have to buy. I guess it won’t be too bad if you can unlock everything for ~£30, provided the content stacks up to a ‘full’ game.
    Driftopia is also a rubbish name.

Comment posted on 11/04/2013 at 23:01.
  4. Origami Killer

I actually enjoyed the Vita game, it played like you wanted a Ridge Racer game to, but just lacked content.
    Can’t say no to this, even if the name is a bit shitty.

Comment posted on 11/04/2013 at 23:20.
  5. Dom El
    Since: Mar 2012

I loved the Vita Ridge Racer, because despite its lack of content it handled like a Ridge Racer game – the Unbounded one handled horribly. If it handles like Ridge Racer I’d be in!

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 02:38.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

It’s Bugbear again, so it’ll handle exactly like Unbounded I’d say.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 08:48.
    • Forrest_01

Unbounded handles just fine, you just need to know how to utilise the drift mechanic properly.

Unbounded is actually a decent game, it’s just a shame that so little people actually bothered with it due to the fact that it wasn’t a ‘proper’ Ridge Racer.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 15:49.
  6. KeRaSh

The last time I played a Ridge Racer game must have been on the PS2 (or was it PS1?) and this looks nothing like it… I don’t like the style of it.
    If the Vita version is anything to go by, you will probably get half a car and one track for free…

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 07:26.
  7. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

I really don’t like the f2p model. The problem is that buying all of the in game content often costs a lot more than a full game would’ve in the 1st place.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 08:11.
    • freezebug2

I wonder if these F2P games will have trophies, also will they follow the usual standard of the platinum being obtainable with just the basic game without any need for additional DLC content purchase…………
      One car, one track, one three lap race……ping! platinum :P

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 09:09.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

tonycawley…that is exactly why I stay well away from any F2P game made. It’s a con.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 10:16.
  8. Nismo400R84
    Since: Aug 2012

30 seconds into that trailer it shows what purchase options will be. Repair kits ???? I think this is going to be real racing 3 ,shame cos it looked like it would be fun

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 10:02.
  9. Bilbo_bobbins

baaahumbug !

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 10:15.
  10. Broonba
    Since: Mar 2009

Meh. Really can’t be arsed with ftp games & I’ll probably avoid this like the plague.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 14:42.