Deloitte Media Consumer Survey 2012 Results

How much do we play?

Deloitte has published its annual Media Consumer survey, a snapshot of digital Britain, our habits, likes and dislikes.

The average UK citizen owns 11.4 media devices, up from 9.7 devices in 2011. Around 50% of UK citizens own a games console, 37% have a tablet and around 35% have a portable games console. Both tablets and portable games console had massive year-on-year growth with tablets gaining 175% and portable games consoles around 143% increase compared to 2011.

Of the 50% who owned a console, 66% of these had one console, 22% had two and just 11% had all three traditional home consoles.

Despite the juggernaut of casual gaming, videos games were the least popular entertinament media.

Despite the juggernaut of casual gaming, videogames were the least popular entertinament media.

The average UK gamer buys between four and five games a year, 81% of the games are in physical rather than a digital format. The reasons given for the continuing popularity of boxed products are that they are available before the digital versions of the game and secondly that consumers can trade in old games.

Casual gaming is on the increase but Deloitte’s research shows that hardcore gamers – those who play for more than 15 hours a week – will probably also own a tablet. Smartphone owners who do not own any other gaming device only play games for around two hours a week.

28% of those surveyed had used file sharing, music being the most popular type of media closely followed by TV shows. The number one reason for pirating media was, unsurprisingly, “It’s free”, but “I can’t get the content in the UK” came second, media corporations take note!

Only 3% of respondents said they have downloaded a game from a file sharing site.

Source: Deloitte

1. deadwelsh

The average UK citizen owns 11.4 media devices – really???
    For me:-
    1-Phone
    2-Laptop
    3-Console
    4-TV
    5- DAB Radio/CD Player

Only the most tech savvy people I know would have that many, and they say that is average??? Sorry UK, I am letting the side down! Better go and buy another phone, a tablet, a gaming pc, a desktop media pc, smart toaster etc…

Comment posted on 23/04/2013 at 20:11.
    • stonyk

I’d think I’m quite over the top with gadgets and I have 2TVs, 2 consoles, 2 Handhelds, 1 phone, 1 laptop, 1 tablet, 1 NAS server, sky? That’s just about 11. How the average is 11 I dot know unless I’m missing something (digital watches, microwave?)

Comment posted on 23/04/2013 at 21:47.
    • hazelam

for me it would be.
      consoles, 3, don’t know if they’d count individually.
      pc.
      does a cable box count?
      android phone.
      kindle fire hd.
      ipods, touch and video.
      i’ve got a region free dvd player, which only cost me something like 20 odd quid, for the few us dvds i have, including a great version of highlander, which was eventually released over here.
      i guess there’s also tv and my stereo system.

if you count my retro consoles, i’ve probably got a dozen, at least.
      going all the way back to the nes.
      i’ve even got an old cdi i picked up cheap, with the digital video cartridge.

Comment posted on 24/04/2013 at 10:07.
      • double-o-dave
        Since: Nov 2008

I guess it should be media devices which are still in use if that makes sense as my list would be a
        TV – PS3 – Phone – MacBook & thats a record total of 4 unless I add a Guitar & Amp but I guess they don’t count as media devices.
        On the other hand if I counted every old phone and old consoles and ipods floating around the house the total would probably top 20.

Comment posted on 24/04/2013 at 10:41.
  2. KeRaSh

Soooo… according to that graph there aren’t even remotely as many girl gamers as there are guy gamers? Am I missing something? Wasn’t there a statistic floating around saying it’s almost 50:50?

Comment posted on 23/04/2013 at 20:45.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

No that graph shows people favourite things to do, not the amount of people.

Comment posted on 23/04/2013 at 22:14.
      • KeRaSh

Ah, thanks for the clear up. That’s what you get for skimming through something while watching the current episode of Game of Thrones…

Comment posted on 24/04/2013 at 07:20.
  3. CR8ZYH0RSE
    Since: Sep 2012

Give me a pie-chart anyday,mmmm pie.

Comment posted on 24/04/2013 at 03:33.
  4. Airiaen

How can Video games be so low than cinema Movies, its an dying medium to me O.o

Comment posted on 24/04/2013 at 09:01.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

I don’t know, with movies being more accessible on the internet and normally cheaper, I have found I watch movies more than playing games these days.

Comment posted on 24/04/2013 at 09:13.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

I think “Reading Books” is suprisingly high.

Comment posted on 24/04/2013 at 09:22.
  5. hazelam

2085 respondents, that’s how many people took the survey right?

kind of a small sample size to judge the tastes of a nation of 60 odd million people.

i notice that women seem to prefer reading books more than men, i hope that’s not just a side effect of the fifty shades books. ^_^

Comment posted on 24/04/2013 at 10:10.