Opinion

TheSixthAxis Announces Dedicated PlayStation 4 Hub

Get all your PS4 news in one place

Since 2007 TheSixthAxis has continued to cover PlayStation news with our own brand of opinion and humour. It’s been an increasingly tough challenge – sticking to principles and weathering countless offers of well-meaning but ultimately fruitless assistance – but our community and reader support has kept us going.

Today we’re excited to announce the next stage in our ongoing development: a dedicated PlayStation 4 news hub.

In the short term the new site will feature content pulled exclusively from TheSixthAxis, but there are plans to very quickly grow the site into a catch-all destination for everything to do with Sony’s brand new console, expected in 2013. It’s the same team behind the site, and it’s in addition to TSA – we’re not changing our goals, just moving outwards with the resources we have.

The URL? http://www.playstationfour.co.uk

We hope you like it. It’s designed to be fully scalable across every device, and there’s been considerable focus on layout and typography, with minimal requirements from our writers to do anything more to get the content onto the site other than a simple checkbox.

Comments, as ever, are most welcome.

1. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

What’s the legality of calling it playstationfour.co.uk?
    Could sony force you to take it down? I have no idea, just asking.
    Other than that it’s good. Could maybe do with being categorised e.g. games, hardware, feature or whatever.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:05.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

Nothing illegal about it, there’s a clear disclaimer and we don’t impinge any copyright. I half expected Sony to want us to transfer the domain when they realised we had it but then, they do all their stuff via playstation.com so I probably shouldn’t have expected that.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:26.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

There’s hundreds or thousands of domains containing the word ‘PlayStation’ which is a Sony trademark.

I presume, as long as any such site isn’t defamatory of the PlayStation brand, Sony wouldn’t show any untoward interest.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 12:19.
      • SpikeyMikey23

how long will it be before we see playstationfour.tk? …… ;)

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 13:03.
      • tonycawley
        Pint! Pint!

Fair enough to all of you! Like I said I had no idea of the legalities involved so I was merely posing the question. Suppose it’s no different than calling your site thesixthaxis really, they’re both Sony registered TMs.
        Still it’s an excellent acquisition from you guys. Well done there!

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 14:07.
      • anyjungleinguy
        Since: Nov 2008

“how long will it be before we see playstationfour.tk? …… ;)”

Ha, If that’s the reference I’m thinking of, it should be .tr.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 22:31.
  2. anyjungleinguy
    Since: Nov 2008

How in the world did you manage to get your hands on that domain?

Still, looks great. I hope they don’t take it off you.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:06.
  3. Dr_mohannad

good luck my favourite website evaaaar

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:11.
  4. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Glad that stuff is being pulled from here, so I can still check in one place (here) for the most important PS4 news.

Could maybe do with a (coloured) background, unless you’re waiting for sponsorship….otherwise looking good ;)

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:22.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

it’s just designed to be as lightweight as possible, so it’s extremely mobile friendly. No advertising is secured or planned yet but I would assume it does make sense for certain companies to target. We’ll see what happens with that in the future. For now, we just wanted a nice hub for the info.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:34.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Indeed, please don’t think it was a criticism….hopefully someone will come along with a big bag of cash for you though…particularly since that domain may get you a lot of hits in addition to us TSAers who already know it’s there.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:41.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

With responsive designs like that I like to grab the corner of my desktop browser window and watch the content flow as I resize it.

It’s a good scalable design, although I wonder if a ‘featured’ section at the top of the ‘stream’ would help it on large (desktop) displays.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 12:24.
  5. wonkey-willy
    Since: Jan 2010

nice!
    i like it but wheres the xbox 720 dedicated site.?

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:28.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

it’s not even really officially announced yet! We’ll think about that possibility but we’re generally more comfortable with PlayStation (and we have more support from Sony in terms of getting us info and access).

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:36.
      • SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
        Since: May 2011

I love TSA, the staff and the community, but it’s always leaned more to the PS side (for obvious reasons), especially on the community side of things, not having a PS for most the time and not being a big fan of the console I’ve been wanting a site similar to how TSA is run but with more of an Xbox presence (in writers and community,not wanting fan boys though, god I hate fan boys) I would love that site and feel more of a part of it. I’m not necessarily saying you guys should make one though, as you should stick to what you know.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 15:40.
      • Peter Chapman
        Team TSA: Editor

I would love that site too, and if we had some serious investment, I’d do it. Unfortunately, we’re limited by time (none of us have very much of it) and money (we hardly have any of that either) so we have to focus on what we’re best at.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 16:45.
      • SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
        Since: May 2011

Yeah I completely understand that, that’s why it’s best to stick to what you can as you said, I’ve been searching around and can’t find anything that seems as good as TSA, damn you people making me have to high standards!

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 17:10.
      • Peter Chapman
        Team TSA: Editor

If you can’t find anything, build it yourself ;)

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 18:02.
      • SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
        Since: May 2011

Haha, I did think about that, I’ve been meaning to start a podcast for ages, I really need to get to doing it but I’m lazy. If that ever happens I’m sure I would start a site around it. But I’m not exactly a good writer or as intelligent as other Lipscombes, but who knows what might happen if I can be bothered to move my ass.

Comment posted on 01/05/2013 at 00:27.
  6. freezebug2

Nice job, although as others have mentioned, I’m amazed that domain hadn’t already been snapped up, some very forward planning must have ensued or good contact has been established with the powers that be!

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:29.
  7. cam_manutd

Good to see your sticking to your principles with a PS orientated focus.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:33.
  8. G_The_Enemy14
    Since: Jan 2009

Are all future ps4 articles going to be on TSA as well as the new site, or just on the new one?

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 11:58.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

The new hub just pulls info from TSA so everything will still be here. playstationfour.co.uk is just a different way of presenting what is posted on TSA, for now, at least.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 12:07.
      • bunimomike

That’s interesting. You want us back here to comment! Ha. Like children misbehaving over at a mate’s house.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 13:00.
      • Peter Chapman
        Team TSA: Editor

yeah, for the time being. It’s just easier to display that stuff without having to account for comments too – but we wanted to let new viewers know there is a way to join the discussion and hopefully encourage a few over here to join in :)

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 13:12.
      • bunimomike

Agreed. Win the new folk over and not scare them away from the unique people on TSA’s comment areas. ;-)

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 13:16.
      • DividSmythe
        Since: May 2012

Ash but the big question on everybody’s lips is when comments are enabled will they be carried over to playstationfour.com

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 14:14.
      • DividSmythe
        Since: May 2012

Not ash ah

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 14:15.
      • Alex C
        One for all.

Yes, comments are already carried over to the PS4 site. They’re just not properly 100% working, so we switched them off for now.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 14:21.
      • G_The_Enemy14
        Since: Jan 2009

Fair enough :) The fact that it is named ‘playstationfour’ will hopefully help people to stumble across in, and then in turn come to TSA!

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 14:25.
  9. LycanGav
    Since: Apr 2009

As others have said Peter, how the hell did you secure the domain?

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 12:01.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

We didn’t register it until January this year (I think), I was surprised it hadn’t already been locked down :)

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 12:08.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

*looks at playsation5, playstationfive….. playsationeleventeen domains*

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 12:26.
      • SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
        Since: May 2011

Well you might be able to get “Playsation5″ CC I’m sure no one’s going to register that haha.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 15:42.
  10. Bilbo_bobbins

thats a fantastic URL, well done chaps and keep up the good work. I’ll be visiting it a bit more often once the articles are coming through. It’s a little slow on me just clicking on an article, but I’m sure its because its new etc.

Looking forward to using the site in the future.

Comment posted on 29/04/2013 at 12:10.