Feature

What We Played #103: Slender: The Arrival, Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

The one where DanToo gets a tan.

Well now, this week has been rather exciting for me. I haven’t played anything particularly earth shattering, but I managed to actually get inFamous 2 to install its patches, allowing me to continue with the game. If you recall last week’s What We Played I complained about having issues with the game but a fresh install seems to have fixed them and now I’m well and truly hooked.

Although I still think the controls are a little floaty, once you get used to them it’s not so bad. Cole’s progression throughout the game feels good too, and he’s beginning to feel more and more bad ass as new powers unlock. You do seem to go down a bit easily in close quarters combat though.

The other exciting thing that happened this week was Greg announcing a possible date for his return to the glorious world of What We Played. I won’t reveal just when in case the pressure drives him away again, but know that he is on his way back.

For now, though, he’s spending his time with Mass Effect 3. As per usual he’s been spending time with the game’s multiplayer, but he’s also managed to fit in the Citadel DLC. Given how long he’s been away from the game’s single player, and how much time he’s invested in the multiplayer, he says that dipping into the Citadel DLC “feels a bit Blues Brothers in a putting-the-band-back-together kind of way.”

Weirdly, he actually enjoys the way the new Alliance Intelligence character reminds him of how many deaths Shepard is responsible for. His Shepard has wiped out entire star systems in the past, and is ultimately to blame “for countless billions of deaths.” Sounds a little morbid to be honest.

Dom, as you may recall, is in the middle of a house move. In fact he appears to be right in the middle of it, as he currently lacks a house. Fortunately he’s not been forced onto the streets, and is instead going on holiday until his new house is ready in ten days. Sounds like a very wise move to me.

With the house move in full swing all of his consoles are hidden in boxes at present, and when he does attempt to play his 3DS he realises he’s “too tired and fall[s] asleep on it”. Hopefully the holiday will revitalise him somewhat.

Before entering the land of nod he has been playing a little bit of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, but he can’t actually tell us anything about it due to the embargo. I’m sure we’ll hear all about it in due course.

Our other newbie, DanToo, seems to have been getting a lot more gaming in, when he’s not sunbathing that is. Slender: The Arrival has been getting his time for the second week, and much like last week he’s finding the game annoying. “I collected all the generators needed to progress,” he says, with the hope almost palpable in his tone. However, he “was then killed by a slender man who appeared out of thin air an inch in front of me.” That doesn’t sound all that fun.

He’s also been playing indie puzzler Kairo, and has been enjoying it a lot more than Slender. He felt the gameplay was “really challenging” and praised the game’s “grainy and completely minimal” art style.

His third and final game on his PC for the week is Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. He’s “laughed quite a few times already” despite only playing it for about half an hour, so that’s certainly positive. I imagine we’ll have more from him on the game next week.

Onto his console gaming (I told you he’d played a lot), his PS3 has been getting a work out with Battlefield 3, F1 2012 and Tomb Raider. EA’s premier shooter has taught him that he’s “really lost my flair on FPS’s”, and even though he managed “quite a few good kills… they were all overshadowed by some shoddy shooting and embarrassing deaths, like falling into water”.

Fortunately he faired better in F1 2012, where he managed to win three Gran Prixs online. He’s also “the highest ranked out of my friends list on the leaderboards with Teflon being the closest rank” to him, so I imagine Teflon will be chasing him down as soon as possible.

As for Tomb Raider, he says it’s “OK so far”. He did go on to say that he was expecting more out of it given the praise it got, feeling that “the first hour hasn’t come close to beating an Uncharted game.” I would imagine it gets better later on.

Even that bumper crop of titles wasn’t enough for DanToo, as he gave me a preview of what he’s playing next week. He’s downloaded LA Noire, Cry Of Fear and GTA San Andreas from Steam, with every intention of playing them this week. Check back next week to see if he managed it.

Tuffcub took a somewhat simpler approach, playing his expected bout of Killzone 3, along with the Vita version of Thomas Was Alone. He’s also branched out into Soldner X2 Final after seeing it on sale. He describes it as a “proper bullet hell side scrolling shooter, massive bosses, ridiculous weapons and so much fun.” He rated the game as “*FANTASTIC*”, with the asterisks pushing it beyond simply FANTASTIC.

He’s also found a little time for House Of The Dead Overkill, although his only comment was that it’s “very sweary”. Presumably he could have played more, but most of his time was occupied with Killzone 3, much like every other week.

Then there’s Aran, who’s played nearly as many games as DanToo, although didn’t go into quite as much detail about them. First up was DanToo’s last game, Tomb Raider. Unlike DanToo, he says it’s “brilliant”, having played the game to completion. He felt that Lara’s adventure “had a decent story to it” and was a “Great game overall.”

Perhaps DanToo just needs to spend a little more time with the title.

Next up is some Vita love, coming in the form of Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Although he thinks it’s a good game, he does say that the enemy AI’s “dumb” and wonders “How did it not notice me choking a guy two feet behind another guard?” That does seem like a reasonable question.

Switching to the Xbox 360, Halo 4 has finally come off his pile of shame. He’s currently halfway through, and has found that the story just isn’t grabbing him. He does say that the “gameplay is alright”, but maintains that “Reach is the best Halo game.” I can get on board with that.

Unfortunately he won’t give me many of his thoughts on Army Of Two : The Devil’s Cartel, his final game for the week. He’s playing the game for a feature, so wants to hold all of his critiques for that. However, when pressed he did admit that “it’s quite enjoyable in a dumb action movie kind of way.”

Finally we have the big dog, Peter. First up for him was Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, a game that he loved. However he does note that he’s seen “quite a range of reaction to this game”. The negative opinions seem to focus on “what people are calling bad writing”, although he feels that “the cheesiness was totally deliberate”. The positive reactions to the game seem to be “because it’s a bit mental and has lasers.” How can you not love that?

He enjoyed Grid 2 a lot less, complaining that “the handling is hyper sensitive and seems likely to require a lot of practice.” This combined with “the fact that the collisions are completely unpredictable” to leave him with a bad taste in his mouth. Ultimately he said that “It all felt a little lightweight in comparison to Forza Horizon but perhaps it’s unfair to compare it to such a fantastic racer, with the pedigree and budget that Forza has.” That seems very fair minded.

So what have you been getting up to this week, or have you been enjoying the appearance of the sun?

1. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

I feel like for the last month I been getting a plat every week :) plat guacamelee last Sunday, just plat LA noire this game driving 95 cars is absurd.

It’s all about soul sacrifice this bank holiday! Also a little heads up, if you buy a vita game on amazon you get FIFA 13 vita free!!!!!!

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:19.
    • Taylor Made
      Since: Oct 2011

And my girlfriend did Thomas was alone 100% I never even got a chance to play it! I’m going buy her journey, is this 2 player anyone?

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:37.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Yes, but you can’t invite….the idea is that you just meet/come across others on their “journey” as you play, so it would be difficult to play together unless you both happen to start at the same time on two consoles. It’s a system that works well, I ended up completing 85% of the game with the same person, then their PSN ID was revealed to me at the end. It really does make it quite a unique experience if you’re fortunate with the people you meet.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:50.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

Sounds intriguing, I will leave to it then lol

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:26.
    • Origami Killer

Thanks for the tip. I see they have quite a few games with that promotion, but I really shouldn’t be spending money!

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:55.
  2. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

This week,I did a bit of co op on far cry 3 and I started Darksiders 2 now the crucible pass is back on the store :-)
    I got 100% on Thomas was alone which was brilliant,and on my vita I’ve been on NFS most wanted which is fun and Sly Cooper thieves in time which is great bar the loading times.
    And I’m off to Brighton in a couple of days,so a mini break from gaming for me,I just hope the weather is nice :-)

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:25.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

Weather is good down here today mate…might even pop down to the seafront myself during lunch! ;)

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:32.
      • element666
        Since: Mar 2012

Fingers crossed it stays like that,I’ll be annoyed after a 5 hour drive as it is!lol

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:48.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Ouch. Just a tip, if the weather is good and you’re arriving on the Saturday and need to go to central Brighton, when you reach the end of the A23, I would recommend going up the A27 (heading West) and come off at the next junction….you can then take Dyke Road right to the city center and avoid all the traffic through Preston Park, Preston Circus, and the Royal Pavilion etc which can sometimes take a few hours, especially as it’s a Bank Holiday weekend!

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:53.
      • element666
        Since: Mar 2012

awesome,thanks a lot for the heads up mate. I’ll write that down :-)

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:18.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

No worries – SatNav should verify this and make it easier too ;)

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:32.
      • freezebug2

Mods and Rockers bank holiday revival?
        *Looks for leathers* :P

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 11:04.
      • element666
        Since: Mar 2012

Haha,not quite freeze,lol :-)

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 13:28.
      • freezebug2

Lol, soz mate couldn’t resist.
        I know that Brighton’s famous for the other recreationals availalable, but thought I’d go with mods and rockers in your case. :P

Comment posted on 04/05/2013 at 09:51.
  3. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Mainly Vita again this week…..100%’ed Tales from Space: When Mutant Blobs Attack and 100%’ed Thomas Was Alone, and played the DLC. This morning at work I started FIFA 13….getting the two Tournament trophies out the way before starting the online grind and Career modes. I really like using the rear touch-screen for shooting and the main screen for through-balls, it’s pretty decent!

On PS3 I progressed some more with Bioshock Infinite which I’m enjoying more now. I intend to start Dead Island Riptide with McProley tonight, and play a little Dead Space 3 too.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:31.
    • Taylor Made
      Since: Oct 2011

I just got FIFA for free for buying soul sacrifice, a match maybe sometime

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:36.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Sure! ;) It’s a little difficult for me to play specific times at the moment but if you see me online, we should defo have a match!

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:47.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

Alright that’s cool, I will shout you out

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:03.
  4. Eldave0
    andUandU

Nothing major again for me this week really. My Modern Warfare steel tin collection arrived in the post earlier in the week so I’ve basically just been playing the occasional round on each of those.
    Managed to win a like-new 3DS for the Mrs off eBay this week for 59quid so can see us playing some download-play titles this weekend in between shopping for stuff for the new house :-)

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:31.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

I bought one of those this week too, £4.99 on Zavvi….nice for storing all three games. ;)

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:33.
      • Eldave0
        andUandU

Bargain, right? :-) £4.99 from Zavvi for the tin, and £15 from GAME for the 3 games.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:08.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Indeed! Oh, I didn’t see the deal for the games, although I have duplicates of MW1 (the GOTY edition with all the DLC) and MW2….and will try and obtain another copy of MW3 to fill the tin!

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:15.
      • Eldave0
        andUandU

My copy of MW3 was £6 from GAME and arrived the following day :-) Seems to be the cheapest price around at the moment.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:32.
  5. Origami Killer

Have to start picking up on the revision front so won’t be as much for next week from me. And the sun has already started to go away :(

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:53.
  6. KeRaSh

More Fire Emblem Awakening for me. Currently at chapter 20 so I’m closing in on the end.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:01.
  7. tactical20

Still playing Goldeneye Reloaded and very much enjoying it. I think it’s because I wasn’t expecting much, but it’s actually pretty good!

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:06.
    • Crazy_Del

It is very enjoyable. A quick question about Goldeneye. Is the multiplayer/server okay or is it dead?
      Thanks in advance.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 11:04.
  8. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Picked up Ratchet and Clank Trilogy. Tis decent. Oh and i’ve been playing the very crap game that is known as the waiting game. The main plot is that I ordered Dragon’s Dogma:Dark Arisen from my local Game and i was told it would arrive on Wednesday. Suddenly, it didn’t arrive and i’m still waiting for it. I did bitch about it on Twitter on Wednesday. Yeah, i’m impatient when it comes to games and mail. Should get it today though as apparently it can take up to 5 days due to the Royal Mail. >:( *waits to get told to get over himself.*

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:20.
    • KeRaSh

Get over yourself. (I’m the same when it comes to games or mail orders in general) >_>

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:33.
      • Origami Killer

The best example of postal services I’ve had here was when I ordered something from Japan. Getting from Japan to the UK took 2 days! And from the depot in London to my house in Cardiff took 2 and a half weeks… top quality services there!

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:39.
      • KeRaSh

Happened to me in a similar fashion. When I imported my PSP and Nintendo DS back in those days they each took around 1-2 days to Germany and then sat at the Customs Office for 5 days…

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 13:51.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

It literally arrived a few minutes after i posted the comment. DD:DA is excellent although i did suffer from Restartitis but that it the case with most RPGs for me. I tend to be a bit of a pain in the backside when it comes to creating characters. The Royal Mail is a joke. It said on Game’s site that it would take 2 days not fecking 5. Had i known it would take 5 days, i wouldn’t have been forced to do my bloody food shopping on an empty stomach on wednesday!

Comment posted on 04/05/2013 at 08:56.
  9. Crazy_Del

Been playing WipEout, WipEout and more WipEout.
    Did I say WipEout?
    Yep Wipeout HD in 3D and WipEout on Vita (My eyes must be bleeding)
    Last night I got SEGA Rally Online Arcade 100% thanks to freezebug2 for the multiplayer wins.
    Also been grinding Injustice to reach level 100 and it is taking forever. Currently at Level 88. And finally a bit of Fifa one or 2 Online matches on certain days.
    Now back to WipEout HD 3D and cracking up the volume as I am loving these tunes man. Crazy_Del logging off!

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 11:02.
  10. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

I’ve been doing the spring clean on my and my girlfriends cars this week, her sisters dog scratched hers quite badly so yesterday was spent hunger over and sweaty furiously rubbing in the t cut. A few hours later the job was done and I got a bit of a tan too!

My PlayStation has been almost exclusively a Metal Gear machine this year, nothing new to report on that front. I’m 3 playthroughs through the 7 required for the platinum of MgS4 and unsure of whether to have a break or plough on, I’m not bored but I’ve got to the point where it’s stupidly easy and a tiny bit tedious. Might do one more and save the rest for the autumn. The PSP is back out and I’m churning through Lego Star Wars 2 and Chinatown Wars, love it :)

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 11:10.