Epic Co-Founder Claims Sony And Microsoft "Going Heavily" On In-App Purchases And Free-To-Play With PS4 And Xbox 720

Get ready to top-up your guns next gen.

mark rein

In app purchases, like mobile gamers are used to, will be a big part of both the PS4 and the Xbox 720, claims Epic’s Mark Rein, Vice President and Co-Founder of the company.

Sony briefly mentioned ways to monetise games at their New York summit, but it was glossed over and this is the first time a developer has stated that next-gen will see a big shift to the free-to-play model, supported by additional payments.

Speaking at the UK’s Game Horizon conference, Rein said that both Sony and Microsoft are “going heavily” down the route that some suspected they might, taking on the sort of financial models seen on iOS and Android.

“The next-gen consoles are going to be fully embracing the free-to-play and these in-app purchase type business models,” said Rein, “so in case you don’t know that I’m putting that out there. Sony and Microsoft are both going heavily in that area.”

“Well, I’m telling you,” he added succinctly, when challenged by a moderator over a lack of evidence. “I’m telling you what they’re telling developers.”

Could DriveClub fit this model? The focus on DLC suggests it might be a tester for Sony.

Via Joystiq.

1. leeroye
    Since: May 2012

Oh dear god i hope this is not true. Imagine FPS games where you have to buy ammo. Some of the free to play games on android are stupidly priced with some DLC costing £70 and its consumable so once you run out of doughnuts fuel etc, thats it into your pocket for more. I will not touch F2P games on PS4.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 16:52.
    • E8_BALL_
      Since: Jul 2010

Since playercards were introuduced into COD, country flags were there. Now in Bops2, you have to pay to show your patriotism. So that might not be far off the mark. On the other side of the coin, I dloaded DCUO free & have only spent about £3.50, with many hours racked up.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:16.
  2. Alex C
    One for all.
    • boeboe
      Since: Feb 2013

haha…shivers.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:18.
    • SilverCider
      Since: Jan 2011

Oh god! (I somehow missed this!) Paying to refuel in a GT game would be painful.
      On second thoughts, having to pay for fuel with in-game currency would be awesome.
      *Nerd off*

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 18:42.
  3. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Soon ALL games will run on this model no doubt, like mobile phone games. When that happens, I shall no longer buy a games console.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 16:57.
  4. TSBonyman

If they don’t distinguish between mobile platforms and consoles they must be really determined to kill off consoles at this rate.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:02.
  5. Bilbo_bobbins

I’m telling you good sirs, that I will not be embracing this idea at all, whether the console does or not. If this is the case, the console industry has lost a customer.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:03.
    • bunimomike

Keep in mind that IAPs might still be handled properly and it means you could try many, many games out for nothing then stick to the ones you love and financially invest in bits & bobs (associated with that game) that you actually want.

Obviously, on the flip side we’ll see some serious gouging from other devs and, hopefully, they’ll be the ones that are punished by lack of consumer interest.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 20:38.
  6. Smallville2106
    Since: Feb 2011

This is the first thing I have heard/read that has made me think twice about getting a PS4. Unfortunately this is a biggie for me. If this is the way it’s all going I won’t be gaming next generation.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:10.
  7. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

So long as it’s Free2Play and not Pay2Win, I won’t mind too much, but I don’t want the whole industry to shift that way.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:19.
    • E8_BALL_
      Since: Jul 2010

From my experience with NFS Most Wanted for example, Pay2Win has already begun.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:24.
      • Airiaen

In what way? I know the previous games gave you the ability to buy cars with real money.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:32.
      • E8_BALL_
        Since: Jul 2010

exactly, *PAY to win.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:39.
  8. divisionbell
    Since: May 2011

Surely it should be an option, I mean if you’re unable to enjoy a game that is free to play without buying some form of in game purchase then the developers have failed, in my opinion. In game purchases should be there for people who want to spend extra without feeling like they have to.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:28.
  9. Airiaen

In-game purchases would be quite bad if the sort that plagued Android/iOS appeared on Consoles though meh I’ve no clue mobile games aren’t all that interesting. Free to Play is fine long as its like DC Universe and Phantasy Star ONline 2 since paying on them seems optional. Heavy Gear seems promising, thats similar apparently. No Pay 2 win hopefully…

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:30.
  10. Kevatron400
    Drake, baby.

Interestingly the Freemium movement has lent some games a bit of a new/old USP – you only have to pay once and you get the whole thing! Saw that as a selling point on Paper Titans on iOS and totally took them up on it. Will happily pay 2 quid for a whole game!

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:40.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I don’t buy games with more than one IAP.

Comment posted on 09/05/2013 at 17:45.