Gran Turismo 6 Confirmed, All The Details

The PlayStation 3 gets one last racer, no mention of a PS4 version.

It’s been a long road to this day for Gran Turismo fans, but today Sony have confirmed that Gran Turismo 6 is indeed real, and it’s coming to PlayStation 3 at the end of this year with a completely new “core” and entirely refactored code making it less complex and more future proof than GT5 was.

That refreshed code includes a new rendering engine, new physics engine and tyre model as well as a new aerodynamics model. They’re using adaptive tessalation, apparently, which should mean less noticeable repetition in background textures and road surfaces.

The series has seen 70 million lifetime sales, with 10 million of those being Gran Turismo 5 on PlayStation 3 and almost half of the sales being in Europe. A truly remarkable figure.

All the cars from GT5 will be returning for Gran Turismo 6, apparently, with plenty more to bolster that line up. It’s not clear whether they will all have the same visual fidelity or if there will be a “Premium Car” situation again, as in the previous release. There will be 1200 cars available at release (200 more than in GT5), although with Kazunori Yamauchi involved, we’ll concede that half of those might be variations on Nissan Skylines!

The game will use tessellation to smooth transition between levels of detail, which is an impressive feat on the PlayStation 3.

There will also be more customisation possibilities, with the first leaked screenshot (from GTPlanet) showing a mercedes SLS AMG with some aero modifications. This will include “several thousand aerodynamic parts and custom wheels for almost all cars” giving more scope for customisation than ever before in a GT game

This will also tie in with the previously hinted desire for a lot of post-release DLC support.

Silverstone will feature, perhaps somewhat obviously given the venue for these announcements. It’s one of seven new locations, bringing the total to 33 locations, with 71 track layouts – 19 of which are new. There will also be regular new track packs via DLC and the course builder offering scenery over “several tens of square miles”.

“It is amazing to think that it is 15 years since we first released Gran Turismo,” explained Kazunori Yamauchi, during the announcement at Silverstone Circuit. “Things have changed a lot since then and now Gran Turismo 6 is a further evolution of my dream. We’re pleased to deliver GT6 to PlayStation 3 as we have a very loyal community on that platform.”

“However, we have refactored the game to make it very flexible and expandable, with a view to making many future developments. I am very pleased with everything about the new game and the new additions, but the launch will be only the beginning for GT6. The game will continue to develop throughout its life. I already have many ideas for things I want to achieve in the next 15 years of Gran Turismo!”

Nissan was there today, too, keen to extol the virtues of the GT Academy program and the talent they’ve uncovered thanks to it. They’re so pleased with how well the Academy is going that this year’s prize will be the biggest ever – a full season racing the GTR GT3 car.

Finally, the official press release is just in and it states that Gran Turismo 6 is being developed for Playstation, Smart Phone, Tablet and PC with the other devices being used to home the series community spaces. Hopefully this all ties into the ability to create your own communities (TSA GT club!) and create your own events for them.

There’s a demo for GT6 playable at Silverstone today. It’ll include the following cars, the starred ones new to the series: Acura NSX ’91, *Alfa Romeo TZ3 Stradale ’11, *Alpine A110 1600S ’68, *Audi Sport quattro S1 Rally Car ’86, Ferrari 458 Italia ’09, *Ferrari Dino 246 GT ’71, Ford GT ’06, *KTM X-BOW R ’12, Lamborghini Countach LP400 ’74, *Light Car Company Rocket ’07, McLaren MP4-12C ’10, *Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 ’11, Nissan 370Z (Z34) (GT Academy Version) ’08, Nissan 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy Version) ’08, Nissan GT-R Black edition (GT Academy Version) ’12, *Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 N24 Schulze Motorsport, Nissan Leaf G (GT Academy Version), *Tesla Motors Model S Signature Performance ’12, Toyota 86 GT ‘12

1. blackredyellow
    Since: Mar 2009

The trailer looks great, graphically at least. I can’t help but be drawn in by this. The series has been so good, I can’t see them slipping up.

Comment posted on 15/05/2013 at 17:52.
  2. hol
    Since: Oct 2009

Really looking forward to this, not sure I care it’s not on the 4 now? Now, I’m gonna need to pimp up that Midget II :)

Comment posted on 15/05/2013 at 17:52.
  3. Paranoimia

I’ll definitely be picking this up, and it won’t have any impact on my getting a PS4 with Drive Club at launch. I suspect the gameplay mechanics will be quite different, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

With my constant re-playing of the Uncharted games, and The Last of Us, Beyond, Puppeteer and more still to come, it’s good that Sony are continuing top support for PS3 so late in the day, when Microsoft more or less gave up on the 360 a couple of years ago.

This will be the first time I’ve ever kept my ‘old’ system for more than a month after buying its successor.

Comment posted on 15/05/2013 at 17:58.
  4. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

If it hass all the cars from GT5, then expect awful standard ones making up the bulk again. I’m seriously impressed that they’ve got a form of tesselation running on the PS3, but the tracks still look so very flat and low-poly compared to the cars.

Comment posted on 15/05/2013 at 17:59.
  5. Temascos
    Since: Jan 2013

This is great news for someone like me who will be sticking with PS3 for a while. Eventually I’ll grab a PS4 with Drive Club (Think of it like Project Gotham Racing compared to Forza, both have real world cars but one plays in a arcady fashion and the other is simulation). As I haven’t played GT5 and I normally only buy one GT game per generation this will be my one (Last one I played was GT3…three games ago, damn!)

Comment posted on 15/05/2013 at 18:34.
  6. Broonba
    Since: Mar 2009

Excellent news about all the changes Kaz and his team are making for GT6. I can’t speak for anybody else, but personally, I’ll be getting a PS4 at launch & going back to my PS3 to play GT6. After I purchase a “new gen” console I normally get rid of my “last gen” one but I’ll definitely be keeping my PS3 for this and a few others.
    I’m just hoping that my Driving Force GT wheel will be compatible with PS4 & any racers that are released on it.

This is for Tuffcub…….

Binky bonky boo, I smell of poo.

Comment posted on 15/05/2013 at 19:14.
    • freezebug2

I wouldn’t worry about your DFGT wheel compatibility with next gen, it should be fine. They do work with PS2, PS3 and PC at the moment and USB 3 should be compatible with most USB 2 peripherals.
      I’m not worried about my wheel anyway. ;)

Comment posted on 15/05/2013 at 22:52.
  7. freezebug2

Superb news, I don’t think that I could have asked for more with GT6. In fact they have included everything I mentioned the other day that I wanted to see added to the game for it’s next release…..and some! ;)

Comment posted on 15/05/2013 at 23:01.
  8. JohnnyBoy
    Since: Oct 2010

Any news on a Vita version?

Comment posted on 16/05/2013 at 08:37.
  9. KittDJW

I don’t know whether I just expect too much.. with racing games being one of my favorite genres but I do hope this time round GT6 doesn’t just feel like the same game just rehashed yet again, we were promised amazing A.I. and new handing last time and I got bored of GT5 so quickly.. Strangely I absolutely loved the older ones.

`Racedriver GRID` was extremely twitchy, very hard to control in places but I still constantly go back to it because they had the A.I spot on in my opinion with cars going off the track by themselves, either crashing into each other or smashing into barriers in a cloud of smoke leaving debris everywhere. (And having a race engineer and team mate that actually talk to you and give useful information during the race really added to the atmosphere.)

I know that the GT developers are all about wanting to show off how beautiful the cars and scenery can be but to me the damage models if done correctly only adds to this.. My Xbox only really sees light of day for Forza4 because of how well the cars handle, good damage models and the A.I feels great.

I’m just concerned Polyphony Digital have only really been upping the amount of cars and tracks and detail (again) with no real emphasis on gameplay but I guess we’ll find out soon enough. Just hoping that Polyphony have shaken everything up enough to feel fresh again.

Comment posted on 16/05/2013 at 13:15.
  10. p9ul
    Since: Sep 2009

Never understood all the hoo-haa about Silverstone – can’t stand it personally, Brands and Thruxton are way better IMO.

Still, as long as Spa, Monza, Nordschleife & Le Sarthe all make it across from GT5 I’ll be a happy hippy…

Comment posted on 16/05/2013 at 17:04.