Atari Fails To Find A Buyer - Assets Up For Auction

Bargain price for a seminal real time strategy IP.

Atari is a name with plenty of history in the world of videogames. They used to be giants in the industry, dominating the home console market in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The Atari 2600 popularised the concept of a box that plugs into your TV and plays multiple games. So the company’s troubles over the past few years have been sad to see.

Now those troubles are coming to a head. After failing to find a bidder willing to take on the whole company, Atari’s assets are set to be auctioned off this July. They’ve set minimum bids on many of their well known properties, hoping to reach a total of at least $22.2 million.

So, what’s being sold and for how much? Well, Test Drive is up for $1.5 million after a couple of console games that had a fairly invested core of fans. Roller Coaster Tycoon could be yours, if you have a spare $3.5 million to spend. The most recent Roller Coaster Tycoon game was for the DS but the genre seems ripe for mobile platforms these days.

And for those on a budget? Total Annihilation, the well respected strategy game of the late ’90s, is a steal for just $250,000. This was the first RTS to use 3D units and maps and is fondly remembered by many of us older RTS fans.

Source: WSJ (paywall)

1. Zephyre

Can’t see anyone bidding that kind of money for Rollercoaster Tycoon or Test Drive, and Total Annihilation has been kind of marginalised by Supreme Commander.

The only thing of any value I can see would be the name “Atari” itself.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 10:57.
  2. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Roller coaster tycoon, good times that was old school like Atari. Make a vita version.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 11:01.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

It’s still great, definitely worth getting hold of second hand :) Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 even goes up to 1080p, how’s that for future proofing? RcT on the Vita would be incredible, same goes for TA and the likes of Theme Hospital and Sim City.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 11:43.
  3. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

Whoa… Atari built a time machine, traveled to the 19070s and dominated the home console market using 1980s technology then returned to the present only to sadly struggle in this economic crisis we live in.
    I’m surprised they haven’t turned Atari into a clothing brand taking the amount of Atari logo’s I’ve seen on T-Shirts into consideration. That could help.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 11:25.
  4. October91
    Since: Jun 2010

“in the late 19070s” Haha! That’s quite late indeed! Lmao

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 11:36.
  5. Peter Chapman
    Team TSA: Editor

shush, you lot :-P

(I’ve fixed my extra 0 typo!)

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 11:43.
  6. matthangzhou
    Since: Sep 2010

Bloody loved total annihilation. Someone buy it please!

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 12:28.
  7. RudeAwakening
    Since: Jan 2011

Its sad to see these iconic game companies falling victim to our horrid economic situation. I say ditch the monetary system and go RBE, we would all be alot happier!

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 13:22.
  8. Porcupine_I

Quick Microsoft, snap up some more exlusives! You need any you can get!

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 13:50.
  9. Broonba
    Since: Mar 2009

A legend in the gaming industry going “tits up” is sad news indeed. I still have fond memories of using an old Atari joystick (Aye. The stick & one orange button one) on my speccy 48k for playing Hypersports, Track and Field & Daley Thompsons Decathlon.

Sad news indeed. *sniff*

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 13:57.
    • mrfodder

Those games broke my joystick!

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 14:25.
      • Broonba
        Since: Mar 2009

The only game that broke my Kempston joystick was Yie Ar Kung-Fu. Gave my Mum a shot and 2 minutes later I had a 2 piece joystick :D

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 14:49.
      • double-o-dave
        Since: Nov 2008

That and Daley Thompson’s Decathlon and Track ‘n’ Field and not forgetting Kung Fu Master and probably about 200 other games where I had to wiggle my stick vigorously which luckily stopped once the speccy got old… Then I started to wiggle my stick vigorously once I reached about 14 and haven’t stopped since!

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:30.
  10. Gaztee
    Since: Mar 2009

Think I’ll dig my 2600 out & have a bit of keystone kapers action in memory of a once great of the gaming world!

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:28.