DriveClub's PS Plus Edition Detailed

Join the club for free.

Just a quick one on this because there’s been a lot of people asking.

The PS Plus edition of DriveClub, revealed yesterday, will – according to Evolution – be the full version of the game in terms of features and mechanics.

However, it will launch with a cut-back number of tracks and cars.

This’ll mean that players will be immediately able to jump into the game, form clubs and compete online.

I asked whether that would mean more cars and tracks would appear as DLC to bulk up the game to the ‘full’ version but didn’t get an official comment.

The PS Plus version will be part of the Plus subscription.

The game handles great – it’s really smart and plays well despite the version on show being just 35% complete.

But more on that soon.

1. Kitch

Ooh. The future. Sounds good.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 21:56.
  2. bunimomike

Lovely stuff. Makes perfect sense too. Sony can’t just throw endless money at stuff and a top-drawer game (hopefully) needs to still be able to justify its development expense. Cars, tracks, etc., are the obvious things to bundle into DLC purchases for people enjoying the PS+ version, as such.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 21:58.
    • cam the man

If I’m remembering right it was said back in February that the game will be supported with loads of DLC. If so it’s a good strategy by Sony to give away a top game at the PS4’s launch and it still being able to generate income for the developer. Could help shift a few more consoles.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:17.
  3. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Ridge racer inbound? Lol

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:03.
  4. BryOnRye
    Since: Jan 2009

Only 35% complete with only 5(ish) months to go? Or is the demo an early build?

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:06.
  5. BryOnRye
    Since: Jan 2009

35% complete with only 5(ish) months to go? Or is the demo an early build?

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:06.
    • Kitch

Is there an echo?

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:13.
      • BryOnRye
        Since: Jan 2009

In my defence, I suck at the internets.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:29.
  6. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

Any word on local multiplayer?

For this, or any PS4 games really?

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:10.
    • SilverCider
      Since: Jan 2011

I don’t know about this but a key selling point of the new playstation eye thingy and the DS4 is that it can differentiate between different players in the room so there should be

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 23:44.
      • coruscant
        Since: Oct 2010

Like you, this made me hope. I really want lots more splitscreen games next gen, this gen has been awful for the splitscreen gamer.

Comment posted on 12/06/2013 at 00:14.
      • colmshan1990
        Since: Apr 2009

Yeah.

I’m thinking about going 50:50 with my sister for a PS4, but I’d really like a decent game we could both play at launch, you know?

Comment posted on 12/06/2013 at 12:21.
  7. DividSmythe
    Since: May 2012

This is not good at all. Don’t give us a demo give us a full game. Or at least give us DLC cheap.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:14.
    • bunimomike

Eh? What the hell? This game will have cost millions to make and they need to make it profitable.

Unless I’m completely bonkers, can you not still buy the full game irrespective of the above. The Drive Club PS+ is something to lure you in. It’s an effective business model and can be a great way for people to try games out before committing (too much) money.

League of Legends – the most played online game in the world right now – is the perfect example. Sure, it’s not for everyone but everyone can have a go for absolutely zero financial investment. There’s plenty of fun to be had but plenty of money to throw down if you want to invest in the characters and other paraphernalia.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:26.
      • DividSmythe
        Since: May 2012

I understand your point but I would rather have a couple of hours trial rather than what seems to be F2P, I’m very against it. I’d rather pay £40/60 and know that’s it. It is more likely I wouldn’t buy the game or DLC in the cut edition. That’s my beliefs.
        I’ll still get my Ps4 day 1 any way. :)

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:37.
      • Origami Killer

Well considering that everyone will need Plus to go online they’d be downright bat shit crazy to give a full launch title away for free.
        This “stripped” version is a great idea if you ask me.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:39.
    • TSBonyman

It could have been worse …

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:34.
      • DividSmythe
        Since: May 2012

That’s my point that’s sport of how it feels.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:40.
    • Pesico
      Since: Sep 2008

Then buy the full game. Sony aren’t stupid. They can’t just give games away so early. Not a game of this magnitude.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:57.
  8. yiddo
    Since: Jun 2010

Is noone allowed to upload gameplay footage or anything? I remember seeing footage of games loads of times at previous E3’s. I can’t find jack shit this time.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:19.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

We’re working on it.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 23:18.
  9. Broonba
    Since: Mar 2009

Still, we’re getting it for fuck all with Plus so can’t really complain about the developers trying to claw some money back with DLC.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:26.
  10. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Ooh, so it’s like Drive Club Prologue for free on plus and full fat Drive Club for retail? Very clever Sony, you’re certainly nailing the friendly sounding profiteering, I actually don’t object at all it’s quite smart stuff :)

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 22:35.