E3 Round Up: Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft And Sony

In which the words revealed, exclusive and announced are over used.

As many of you may have not been around last night and there is so much news whipping down the front of TSA here is a handy catch up post of what you may have missed from Microsoft’s, EA’s, Sony’s and Ubisoft’s conferences.

Microsoft

EA

Ubisoft

Sony

Today we’re going hands on with the PlayStation 4 and the new controller, and we’ll have previews and impressions of all the PS4 games we can get our mitts on. Until then…

1. Scythegpd
    Since: Jul 2010

Unfortunately this seems to be the last gen I play online. No great loss as my limited time doesn’t really allow me to play online much anyway, tend to spend gaming time going through my single player backlogs! Still … unfortunate

But hey, the pro’s outweigh the con’s. PS4 has more games I want, without excessive drm and without forcing a spy-cam into my loving room.
    I got both consoles this gen, PS3 at launch and 360 when Alan Wake came out, but next gen will be single console only for me. No way will I support the shady and intrusive requirements associated with owning a XB1. And the fact that the PS4 is markedly cheaper is just the cherry on top!

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 09:42.
  2. Bilbo_bobbins

Sony have amazed me and plenty of gamers this year. I can’t see how anyone, without being bias to either console would want an Xbox One IMO. I know friends make a difference etc, but if you go out there for games/pricing/backwards compatibility/free games with P+/trade in policy/no DRM, why on earth would you bother going for the Microsoft product?

My main interest I think out of everything is The Division, that gameplay was unbelievable. The details look amazing.

I’ll be purchasing a PS4 Day 1. Thanks TSA for bringing all the news to us you have all done a superb job so far.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 09:50.
    • Greg Aldridge
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Oct 2008

Partly playing devils advocate (much like a very old series I used to write for TSA back in the day)…

As someone who doesn’t trade in games or buy secondhand any restriction on that makes no difference to me. With Xbox One it sounds like you’ll get free games every month, much like with PS+. Yeah the console price is higher, but that’s what having Kinect bundled was sure to mean (though it’s interesting they’ve dropped the bundled headset, at least from the Day One edition of the console, which is suggestive of pricing pressure).

And what if MS’ protection against retail price erosion by secondhand games means that new games for Xbox One are £10-15 cheaper than PS4? That could add up to a Hell of alot over the time you own the console.

The only remaining bugbear is the 24-hour phone in. I don’t have a problem with my consoles being always-on. My PS3 is so that PS+ can phone home most nights to back up saves and check for updates. It’s been many years since I went more than 24 hours without an Internet connection and in the event of something happening I’ll just #dealwithit for a few days.

And if you’re as interested in the integration with your TV watching (overlays, Kinect control of your cable box, second screen features, integration with fantasy sports leagues, etc.) as you are with games then the Xbox One could be the obvious choice.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 10:25.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

nice one I like it. As you say it depends on your circumstances and what you want from the console in the end.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 10:38.
      • yiddo
        Since: Jun 2010

They haven’t mentioned their free game scheme with the One. I thought it was just for the Xbox 360 until the end of this year.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 11:04.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

The “Games for Xbox wil be cheaper” argument only holds up if they sell more of them than they do PS4 games. Which they probably wont.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 11:06.
      • blarty
        Since: Apr 2011

The only way that games could have that kind of difference is if MS drops their platform licensing fee, and given that they’re already under pressure to reduce pricing, and they’re not getting any money out of the second-hand/trade in setup (so they claim) I highly doubt there’s the margins to do that.

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 11:57.
  3. deadwelsh

MS share price seem down 0.5% and Sony up 2.8%, thats quite a sway, i think Sony did well – Niintendo also up 2.6%.

EA is down about – 3% – Ubisoft up about 3%

All I need to know know is what Apple, Valve, Nvidia et al have planned – I suppose we wont be seeing nay console from EA for now at least anyway

Comment posted on 11/06/2013 at 11:55.