Sony Boss Says Paying For Online Multiplayer On PS4 Helped Reduce Cost Of Console

Gara says Sony "agonised over" charging for multiplayer "for a very long time".

Sony Entertainment UK boss Fergal Gara has said [via] that charging for online multiplayer on PS4 – the first time the company has done this – helped reduce the price of the console, although it was something Sony had to “agonise over for a very long time.”

On PS4 online multiplayer is now integrated into PlayStation Plus. That means that – for most games – if you want to play against others over the internet you’ll need to be a Plus subscriber. Plus is excellent value though, and most gamers didn’t really have too much to complain about when it was revealed during last week’s pre-E3 conference.

“First of all,” says Gara, “we wanted to introduce the console at a healthy price-point compared with PS3,” and that was apparently “front and centre in our thinking and our planning for years.”

Charging for online, or at least bundling it within Plus, will mean that the service can more realistically approach the levels that Xbox Live does. Gara says that PSN will mirror “the social features you’ve seen demonstrated on more of a world-class network” and has seen Sony “investing in a higher performance network” that will offer “better performance and reliability”.

PlayStation Plus currently costs around £40 a year.

Gara also confirmed what a couple of press releases have mentioned recently: that cross game chat – the ability to talk with other players online who aren’t playing the same game as you, or are in different teams – is definitely in as part of the PS4’s network. “It’s there,” he says.

Read more: # #
  1. Michael
    Team TSA: Development

Hopefully this will mean playing online with PS4 will be as good as playing online on the original Xbox was :-)

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:04.
    • Burkatron
      Since: Mar 2009

I honestly cannot get my head around comments like this, no sniping intended; it’s just that I’ve never once had a bad experience on PSN.

I hear all the time that Live is the place to be for reliable service but that is all I’ve had on PSN since day 1 over 5 years ago.

Could someone please enlighten me to the benefit of live over PSN?

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:20.
      • Eldur
        Since: Nov 2012

I own both consoles and I have to say that, whilst I haven’t had any problems with the actual playing of games over PSN, I find the all-round experience of Xbox Live much more fluid and intuitive.

Set up a party in Xbox Live with the press of a few buttons, no matter where my friends are or what they’re doing, enjoy crystal clear chat and invite them all to my game with the press of a single button. It’s just so straight forward.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:27.
      • bunimomike

PS3 – Terrible experience online with GTA IV. Utterly atrocious. So much so it was spoiling the fun for a good portion of us. Connection troubles galore. People were trying for an hour for god’s sake and this was a private match with us all added as friends.

One of my best mates has all the consoles (along with many of his friends) and they all, religiously choose the Xbox 360 for online shenanigans when it’s a multi-platform title.

My connection, here, is a wired 80Mbit up and 16 down. It’s stunning so there’s no problem this end.

Also, GTA IV has been almost flawless on the PC with friends as of recent. Even with the added chore of signing into Rockstar’s own service as well as Microsoft Games Live thingie.

I really do hope Sony get this sorted for the PS4.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:55.
      • xdarkmagician

If you ever owned a PS2 and whent online and then owned an original Xbox and whent online you would understand. Today the PSN and XBL are close to equal, XBL still wins because of several features, but at the beginning of the PS3 XBL was ALOT better. Its mostly because MS has had XBL since the original Xbox and Sony just started PSN with the PS3, its the extra few years of refinement thats given XBL the top spot. But I will say this, Sony has done alot more than MS to improve their online service and that’s allowed them to bridge the gap to a point where some people don’t notice a difference.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 18:11.
  2. jimmy-google

If you own one PlayStation console then PS+ is great, if you own more than one then it’s essential.

Having 3 for the same price is simply excellent value. What Sony have managed to do is make an add-on essential to have because of how good it is not by building a system that won’t function without it.

Now they have that it doesn’t feel anywhere near as painful to have online included in the cost. I certainly wouldn’t have paid for online play and could live without it.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:04.
    • 3shirts

Exactly right. Look how many people already pay for Plus purely because it offers great features and value for money. I would have continued to subscribe even if it wasn’t required for online play.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:09.
  3. 3shirts

So will this mean no change in pricing (at least initially) for Plus when PS4 comes out?

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:05.
    • jimmy-google

I’m sure I’d read somewhere the price isn’t changing.

I’d image the number of PS4 games will increase when they reduce the PS3 game number.

What I really want to know is where Gaikai fits in to this.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:19.
    • Eldave0
      andUandU

That’s the impression I got from interviews. Cannot see why that would change.
      If you’re in any doubt though, why not buy a couple of year’s worth now, while they are around £35-40? I believe they stack don’t they?

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:21.
    • Kris Lipscombe
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Mar 2009

They said $5 a month, although I expect a cheaper rate if you buy by the year. Not sure what that works out to though.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:48.
      • Wardy-77-
        Since: Mar 2013

They said it was for less than $5 a month.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 15:21.
      • TSBonyman

I’m pretty sure they said “from as little as $5 a month” during the E3 conference, so i got the impression there woud be different tiers.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 15:41.
      • Wardy-77-
        Since: Mar 2013

No Bonyman they definitley said for less than $5 a month.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 16:00.
      • TSBonyman

Cool, thanks for clarifying that Wardy, i was a bit sleep-deprived at the time :)

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 19:31.
  4. Dar-Kaus
    Since: Apr 2009

I’m sure given the investment that Sony can make the plus service every bit as good as the xbox gold was, those 360 players that may migrate to PS4 will no doubt welcome the news and already accept the cost of online play they had with the 360.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:12.
  5. whoelse
    Writer

Happy to pay for PS+ to get online, plus all the free games (although I’m guessing they won’t be as generous with the free games for he PS4 PS+ when it launches). I rememember when Microsoft forced people to buy a remote so they had the ability to play DVDs on the first Xbox.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:12.
  6. yiddo
    Since: Jun 2010

You can also still also apps like Netflix without paying for PS Plus, whereas on Xbox you need Live to use even that. I was also glad to hear that the free-to-play titles coming to PS4 such as DC Universe Online, Warframe, Planetside 2 and Blacklight: Retribution won’t need PS Plus.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:12.
  7. tactical20

Would be good if they offered online multiplayer seperately too, imo. £20 a year basic, or £40 with Plus, for example. Wonder if Plus people will still be happy if adding online multiplayer considerably bumps up the price?

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:15.
    • cam the man

The price is staying the same………for now.
      I reckon when Gaikai becomes available there will be different levels and pricing for PS+. Although I think the basic package will cost the same.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:32.
    • Wardy-77-
      Since: Mar 2013

I’ve had Plus since day one and it would’nt bother me if it dearer like £60 for year,Plus is a great service it a one of payment for a year and any extra to help the Network fair do’s, Sony need to be applauded for providing a free service all these years it can’t be a cheap do.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 15:26.
      • Wardy-77-
        Since: Mar 2013

it’s a one off payment, that was meant to say.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 15:28.
  8. KillaScorp
    Since: Jan 2009

So if I have PS+ on my PS3, will that automatically continue onto the PS4? If I keep my PS3 can 1 PS+ sub be active on both PS3 and 4?

Mine has just elapsed, and wondering whether to renew for a year or not!

Apologies if I have missed this

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:23.
    • cam the man

One PS+ subscription will cover PS3, PS4 and Vita. Bargain.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:33.
  9. Kevling

Reading between the lines, is that comment about social networks Sony actually admitting that PSN *isn’t* a world class network, and that XBL is?

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:34.
    • bunimomike

That’s the badger, fella. Admittance through omission of facts and that they want to make things better. Not “improve on things because it’s all a bit shit right now!” :-)

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:57.
    • TSBonyman

Oh, i read that as meaning that they’re building a more ‘global’, multi-device network, like the way the Facebook/Twitter networks etc can be accessed from a multitude of devices.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 19:37.
      • bunimomike

Ah, it means everything hopefully. There’ll be a more robust network that we’re all hoping for plus all the trimmings with regards to any new services they’re hoping to offer. We can wish for them all with “new” Sony, can’t we? :-)

Let me dream! :D

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 21:55.
  10. JBoo
    Banned
    Since: Oct 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 17/06/2013 at 14:34.