Confirmed: Microsoft Change Xbox One DRM Policies

It's happening.

Following earlier rumours, Microsoft have confirmed tonight that they’re reversing their policies on the Xbox One’s DRM – the battle just got interesting.

Although the Xbox site buckled under the pressure of lots of simultaneous hits (worrying for a company that previously pushed always online so hard) the following info has been published:

“Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One,” says the blog on the Xbox Wire, written by Don Mattrick, “my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.”

“You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.”

“So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:”

“An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.”

• Info: you don’t need an internet connection to play offline. You will need to connect once to set up the console. That’s it.

“Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.”

• Info: you can trade, rent and sell Xbox One games with no fuss.

“In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console — there will be no regional restrictions.”

• Info: no region lock, downloadable games can be played offline.

“These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.”

“We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.”

“Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.”

And that’s that – the Xbox One is suddenly a much more appealing console.

Thoughts?

1. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

I wonder what major nelson is going say ‘we didn’t do it for the customers, we did it cause we can, nobody made us change our minds, we was just testing the reactions’

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:53.
    • Fartinabag
      Since: Feb 2013

Sounds like it still reads the entire game disk into the machine, meaning you can only store 10 games on the console before the HDD is full.

Sounds like Kinect is still spying on your to target adverts.

Sounds like it’s still much lower spec than the PS4 and more expensive too.

So Microsoft, still no.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 23:11.
      • tonycawley
        Pint! Pint!

How is this a reply to the above comment? It’s not. You only did that to get your comment near the top. That’s not how these things work. The reply button is there for if you want to reply to something somebody said.

Comment posted on 20/06/2013 at 01:35.
    • Cybotika
      Since: Dec 2012

He will say it`s for the greater good and we care so much about our customers RIGHT!….

Comment posted on 20/06/2013 at 07:59.
  2. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Better luck next time, eh Microsoft?

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:53.
  3. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

Absolutely incredible, it’s New Coke all over again. Unbelievable.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:54.
    • Kevatron400
      Drake, baby.

Yes! Exactly that. The thing is it will more likely than not be forgotten about very quickly after release. This is definitely good news for Xbox fans. I wonder if they’ll anounce a price reduction before November’s release too… The petty side of me can’t help but be slightly disappointed I can’t hold the drm over my Xbox fanboy friends any more though :)

Comment posted on 20/06/2013 at 08:17.
  4. RudeAwakening
    Since: Jan 2011

Well f**** me sideways!

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:54.
    • Amphlett

9pm this evening ok with you?

Comment posted on 20/06/2013 at 10:29.
      • SpikeyMikey23

_
        ( ((
        \ =\
        __\_ `-\
        (____))( \—-
        (____)) _
        (____))
        (____))____/—-

Comment posted on 20/06/2013 at 11:23.
  5. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

That’s an amazing change of direction, well done to Microsoft for having the balls to do it.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:54.
    • Wardy-77-
      Since: Mar 2013

Did they really have a choice! They’ll be hoping the can look like the good guys now and pull a few people back,they where in the shite and spewing it bofore this and they realised they had to try and do something.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:59.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

Brave… spineless! It only reinforces the fact they thought they were bigger than they were & the public aren’t as stupid as they thought. I wouldn’t now touch the Xbox Juan out of principle.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 22:02.
      • aerobes

I agree. I think they are totally spineless. I hope people who have chosen not to buy an Xbox One don’t give Microsoft their money even after this. And if it can be removed so easily via a patch, who can say they won’t ever put it back? Does Kinect still watch your every move? Hard to imagine but I’m even more disgusted with Microsoft than I was. No backbone and no morals. I wouldn’t tell people to run out and buy a PS4 but I hope they don’t put themselves in the fiery palm of these tyrants.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 23:49.
      • double-o-dave
        Since: Nov 2008

Good man!

Comment posted on 20/06/2013 at 00:47.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

I dunno, an about face like this is probably a massive upset for the investors and finance guys. Granted their original stance was bloody stupid, but to be able to reverse it is probably a lot more difficult than we think it would be. But yes, it needed to be done, now it’s just a level playing field.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 22:08.
      • Pete_UK
        Since: Mar 2010

I don’t know; if I were an M$ stockholder watching the events of the last week, I would be demanding that they changed their policy – in fact it may be that the majority of the pressure came from stockholders.

They’re still sticking with the Kinect requirement though, so it’s still a pass.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 22:20.
      • jimmy-google

Now if they can make it not require Kinect and not bundle it with the console they might be on to something

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 22:25.
    • Fartinabag
      Since: Feb 2013

Lose lose, it’s now clear to all they really don’t have a clue about gaming or gamers.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 23:12.
    • Germanos
      Since: May 2011

Thats completely not brave, it’s still stupidity: ”well we wanted to rip all of you of your cash, but since it did not work, we are sorry, please buy our console” xD

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 23:38.
      • double-o-dave
        Since: Nov 2008

Exactly!
        Basically, in another context – I’m sorry I tried it on with your missuss & you retaliated. As a result & in fear of looking like a letch & you not punching me, let’s still be friends & ill leave be. Altho I do think your violent gesture was a bit over the top please accept my apology! Lol
        The worrying thing is people will overlook the situation & forgive.

Comment posted on 20/06/2013 at 01:05.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Actually, that’s a fair point. Greedy bastards.

Comment posted on 20/06/2013 at 09:17.
  6. Wardy-77-
    Since: Mar 2013

Ooops i’ve just pissed myself :D

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:55.
  7. yiddo
    Since: Jun 2010

Wow. Good news for gamers who was interested in the games on the Xbox One I suppose – that were getting held back by these restrictions.

Me personally… well, I’ll be avoiding this with all of my effort. They showed their hand, and I just don’t trust them. Plus, PS4 is still cheaper.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:57.
    • bunimomike

Agreed. The X1 had so much bad publicity it was untrue. I actually want to see stiff competition – like this generation – so we see our lovely industry going from strength-to-strength.

My only message to Microsoft, now, is the same to all companies in the industry. Don’t ever, ever, EVER underestimate how much you can piss us off and how the internet-savvy consumer can whip up a total shit storm for you until you finally see sense.

The feedback for Microsoft showed them that there was universal dislike over key strategies and that they simply must bend when public opinion is so voracious.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 23:11.
      • yiddo
        Since: Jun 2010

Indeed. This is a win for consumers. Sure, Microsoft will probably try this again at the first chance they get – I don’t think they’ll learn 100% – but for now, gamers have won. Things have been kept the way they are.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 23:20.
      • double-o-dave
        Since: Nov 2008

I’m quite impressed how you 2 have expressed my opinion in a slightly milder & less fan boy looking way. Well held back :)

Comment posted on 20/06/2013 at 00:56.
      • blast71
        Since: May 2012

This was the gaming worlds’ equivalent to the arab spring!
        The power of social networking knows no bounds. ;)

Comment posted on 20/06/2013 at 09:44.
  8. blackredyellow
    Since: Mar 2009

Fair play, they’ve actually listened to the horrendous reception and done something about it. A decision like this can’t be easy.

Unfortunately, I’m already sold on the PS4 and there is just too much negativity surrounding the Xbox One for me.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:57.
  9. boeboe
    Since: Feb 2013

“with regret, we announce we will not be ripping you off this time”

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:58.
    • AdmiringWorm
      Since: Feb 2010

“but give us a year after launch, and we will be starting”

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 22:25.
  10. joeybamboo
    Since: Nov 2008

hahahahaha so predictable, didnt expect it this soon tho, knew they would capsize at some point. the install base they could have lost just to their own greed, and tbh, i aint gettin one out of principal now.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 21:58.
    • psychobudgie

They probably looked at the examples set by Nintendo and Sega with the Wii U and Dreamcast and how you are never “too big to fail” when it comes to gaming.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 22:57.