Codemasters Tease Rally Game

Subtle tease is not very subtle.

It looks like Codemasters are teasing some new rally game, hopefully something Colin McRae related although it’s more likely to be something in the more recent DIRT style.

The image comes from the studio’s Rich Eddy, who said earlier this morning that he was “working on a new thing to announce tomorrow” which would “bring back lots of memories.”

Codemasters used to make really good, solid rally games. Before, well, you know. This looks likely to be something related to the second McRae game, given the car, the typeface and the styling.

This post previously suggested this might be DIRT 2 DLC. Which is obviously nonsense.

1. hol
    Since: Oct 2009

They might be going back to their roots with a proper rally game.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 10:28.
    • Tomhlord
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Apr 2009

Fingers crossed.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 10:30.
  2. Airiaen

I hope its proper Rally game with good handling, Dirt 3 was disappointing, though from Dirt 2 it wasn’t so bad.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 10:31.
  3. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

I preferred V-Rally but I’m open to a re-make of McRae.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 10:33.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

Best Racing game I have ever owned. McRae just didn’t do it for me.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 10:42.
      • double-o-dave
        Since: Nov 2008

Same here. V-Rally on the PS1 was revolutionary! Played it for days. I even remember waking up drunk at about 4am with a beer in my hand and Boney M ‘Rasputin’ blaring out of my hifi whilst my car was stalled somewhere in Corsica with a 4hr lap time. As to why I was listening to a CD with Boney M on, I don’t know… It just seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 11:31.
    • bunimomike

Well, hello there! I haven’t bought a racer in years but V-Rally was stunning with a friend on split-screen. I don’t think I’ve ever driven (in a game) where the crashes felt so real. How do we know? YouTube. That’s how!

You could be tearing down a straight and just touch the edge a little too much and the loss of control and impending tumble/flip was absolutely effing spot-on. You just had time to shout “tiiiiiits!” as your car went into this-is-going-to-hurt mode.

Bloody… bloody awesome call.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 13:15.
  4. Origami Killer

Haven’t played a decent rally game in years. Hopefully this is a return to earlier rally games. I didn’t get along with the DiRT titles as they were filled with a load of other crap I didn’t care about.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 10:38.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

My thoughts exactly. I wanna race, not knock down cones whilst doing donuts with annoying commentaries.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 11:33.
  5. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

…so I think it could be a Colin McRae game, or at the very least a proper non-DiRT rally game….at least I hope!

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 10:50.
  6. KeRaSh

The last Rally game I’ve enjoyed was Sega Rally (I think…). Actually, it’s the only Rally game I’ve played since then besides what they had in GT5.
    I’d be up for a good Rally game on the PS4!

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 10:59.
  7. TSBonyman

Colin McRae 3 on PS2 was my favourite of the bunch. A HD version would be awesome so i hope it’s something along those lines and not another ‘shouty’ game.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 11:05.
  8. dee
    Since: Aug 2010

Yeah,no offence to ‘hip’ americans but bring the legend (RIP) back!

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 12:30.
  9. Andy Torr
    Since: Sep 2008

Can’t stand lack of kerning in advertisements. Wish people would learn to design properly.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 13:15.
    • bunimomike

Ha! Isn’t it weird how bunching the letters together (zero kerning or even negative amounts) is “in” at the moment.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 13:17.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

I have no idea why but I always use -20 or -40 kerning on nearly everything I design lol

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 13:37.
  10. CarBoyCam
    Since: Sep 2009

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

I am disappoint.

Comment posted on 26/06/2013 at 13:20.