Microsoft Boss Claims Sony's Tech Specs Are "Meaningless"

"The problem is that Sony decided to go out and publish a bunch of numbers"

Sony have been up front and open about the PS4′s technical specs and components, especially when system architect Mark Cerny is doing the talking. However, Xbox One’s product planning boss Albert Penello has dismissed the numbers and details, classing them as “in some ways meaningless.”

“The problem is that Sony decided to go out and publish a bunch of numbers, which are in some ways meaningless,” he said. “Because this isn’t like 1990, when it was 16-bit versus 32-bit.”

“As a matter of fact,” he added, “they actually go out and they talk about how proud they are about their off-the-shelf parts. Our guys’ll say, we touched every single component in the box and everything there is tweaked for optimum performance.”

Xbox One.
General consensus is that the Xbox One isn’t quite as powerful, overall, as the PlayStation 4.

“For me, I’d rather not even have the conversation, because it’s not going to matter,” Penello continued. “The box is going to be awesome. The games are going to be awesome.”

“I heard this exact same argument last generation and it’s a pointless argument, because people are debating things which they don’t know about.”

“Why are we having this discussion?”

“You bought a system to play great games and have great experiences.” he says. “I feel like our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good, if not better, technically – on top of all the magic we’re going to add with the instant switching, and the power of the cloud.”

“So the whole numbers game – yeah, I’ve been following it online and it’s like, we tried having that argument last time. Do I want to talk about HDMI 1.3 or 1.4, it’s like ‘argh!’ It doesn’t matter. Did you see Call of Duty, it looks f**king awesome! It’s going to be great, you know. So we’re just saying, it’s not worth the debate.”

In some ways he’s right – it’s all about the games and until we see final versions of those (at that includes first party exclusives and the multiplatform games) the numbers don’t matter at all. The PS3′s Cell was hugely powerful, for example, but most early Xbox 360 games performed better.

Via OXM.

1. 3shirts

It’s got to the point that when I read this headline all I could think was “oh God, which foot are they gonna put in their mouth now”.

Actually it’s not that bad and he’s kinda right but it reminds me of The Big Lebowski. He’s not wrong, he’s just an asshole.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 11:42.
    • Sillyseason
      Since: Jan 2013

There is a serious performance deficit on the xbone, as much as 50 percent according to devs in the know (and digital foundry)

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 00:22.
  2. 3shirts

And shut up about Call Of friggin Duty! Jebus!

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 11:43.
  3. bigbaldwolf
    Since: Mar 2012

This is old news. Didn’t he come out and explain what he meant about his ‘meaningless’ comment?

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 11:44.
    • bunimomike

As you say, it’s already been replied to (by the same bloke) although his reply was a bit laughable to be honest but, yeah, we need an update to the article. :-)

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 13:06.
  4. philzy85

Our cat is blacker than your cat….. yawn

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 11:46.
  5. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

“For me, I’d rather not even have the conversation..”. because our console is not as powerful as the PS4.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 11:48.
    • philzy85

“all the magic we’re going to add”

It will be a bazillion times more powerful with the pixie dust their blending into the XBOCKZ

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 11:53.
      • philzy85

A snazzy new codename, remixing XBOX and ROCKS which I’ve made ultra cool with the swap out of the S for a Z.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 11:55.
      • Klart
        Since: Jun 2010

Numbas not impotant!
        It’s got da POWA of da KLOWD!
        U C Call ov’Dudes?
        Loox F**KINg Awezome!

That’s what I read.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 14:18.
      • leeroye
        Since: May 2012

Magic? that will be the invisible energy they keep talking about

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 15:48.
    • tatoemonkey
      Since: Apr 2009

Nail squarely hit right on the head there!

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 15:00.
  6. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

Maybe its just the way I interpret how they say things, but once again, this just sounds completely arrogant. Someone been handing them more shovels???
    They should be concentrating on their own bloody console rather than demeaning others. I know Sony did the ‘handing over a game’ piss take but that was actually funny. If this is in retaliation to anything Sony have said about the Juan then fair enough but I don’t think I’ve read anything.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 11:50.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

In fact, I’ve always thought I was more grown up than so-called ‘fan-boys’ but Microsoft are actually turning me into one as I get more annoyed every time they seem to open their mouths!
      What was once ‘banter’ I aimed at Microsoft is slowly turning more nasty & its their fault! lol

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 12:00.
  7. The Von Braun
    Since: Oct 2012

This from MS who have so far talked of:

300,000 server cloud…..

Xbox One being X40 more powerful when connected to cloud….

and ESRAM Bandwidth performance 88% higher.

Come on MS, you and Sony are engaged in a hype war, just as you were past 2 generations.You took a gammble that Sony would do just what they did with PS2+PS3, starve the PS4 of Ram and whilst it might be faster, Sony would have 4G, whilst you had 8 G.You rolled the dice and this is how it came up.

You did very well last generation, took Sony an age to catch up, your system was easier to develop for, was lead console development platform, way you had the ram worked better for things like Fallout 3, Skyrim etc, Unreal III eng ran better etc.This time around, Sony learnt from past mistakes, seems to have the edge on paper.

We won’t know which is ‘better’ until we see the games.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 11:54.
    • bunimomike

Cracking reply, fella. This needs to be shouted at non-believers until they yield.

Awesomely put.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 12:10.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

well said sir. Very good comment.

Like Microsoft said, its about the games, and so far PS4 is WAY out ahead with regards to that. So they need to up their games massively too.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 12:16.
      • Eldave0
        andUandU

I’m curious what these PS4 titles are? So far I’ve seen Killzone, DriveClub, Infamous and The Order, the latter of which we know nothing about.

I’ve given up defending the X1 here as it’s obvious it isn’t welcome. but I’m just curious how Microsoft’s huge line-up pales in comparison to Sony’s 3 major games.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 12:24.
      • bunimomike

I don’t think it does, Dave. I think they both have some cracking games but Gamescom (sp?) will reveal more for Sony. Do Microsoft attend as well? Can’t remember.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 13:05.
      • colmshan1990
        Since: Apr 2009

It doesn’t blow Xbox away yet, but Sony’s biggest studios haven’t actually shown a PS4 game yet either, whereas it seems that Microsoft have shown everything.

So far announced PS4 exclusives include Knack, Killzone, inFamous, Galak-Z, Drive Club, The Order, Deep Down and Secret Ponchos, as well as some which will appear on PC (but not Xbox as well): Outlast, PlanetSide 2, Diablo 3, Final Fantasy XIV, Don’t Starve, Contrast, Transistor, DayZ, The Witness and many more.

And the big thing:
        Naughty Dog, Polyphony, Team ICO, the God of War team haven’t shown anything on PS4 and Media Molecule and Quantic Dream have only shown tech demos, but we all know that some fantastic games can be expected from those teams…

The Vita launched with arguably the best line-up any console has ever had at launch. Unfortunately, it became clear that they’d exhausted ALL the launch window games in the process and there was a long wait in store for more big titles.

The PS4 looks a different beast.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 20:35.
      • Radboud
        Since: Nov 2008

Don’t forget the new IP from Guerilla Games…

I really think the PS4 line up is better than Xbox One, even as we haven’t heard about the new ones at Gamescom yet.

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 22:07.
      • Eldave0
        andUandU

Ah yes, that is true, Sony’s big studios haven’t announced their projects yet. My bad.

I guess the problem for me is that Sony don’t really do multiplayer games and the ones they do don’t seem all that great (aside from Warhawk of course). Instead they do heavily story-driven single player games, which most people love but I personally cannot get into anymore. Gaming to me is a social thing.

Therefore Microsoft’s lineup looks much stronger thanks to Titanfall, Killer Instinct, Kinect Sports, Dead Rising, etc. But hey, that’s just me.

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 09:20.
    • FluBBa

Don’t forget how many gazillion transistors there are in the XBone (that made me lol at the MS conference, when the hardware guy had to come up with some kind of impressive numbers).

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 12:24.
    • jimmy-google

Very well put

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 12:28.
  8. Porcupine_I

Nintendo agrees

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 12:04.
  9. Voolar
    Since: Mar 2009

Compare and contrast to the way Mark Cerny conducts himself…

How long before we run out of failing mobile games companies in need of new execs…?

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 12:20.
    • wirralsman
      Since: Oct 2010

I just want to give Mark Cerny a big hug every time he speaks. Hypnotising…

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 13:03.
  10. hazelam

yeah, numbers are meaningless.

when the other guy’s numbers are higher. o_O

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 12:52.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

It’s like hes starting a playground argument, it’s all so so boring. Oh and my knob is bigger than yours!

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 15:10.
    • Broonba
      Since: Mar 2009

Aye, my thoughts exactly ;)

The way I see it is………..
      You buy a PS4…….You’re gonna be happy with the games.
      You buy a nextbox…….You’re gonna be happy with the games.

And as for all the fanboy shite that is tossed about all over t’internet……..just Fuck off and grow up!!

#Sorry for the language but my post ended up being a mini-rant against all fanboys.#

Comment posted on 02/07/2013 at 16:19.