Existing LOVEFiLM Customers Can Continue To Rent Games

As long as you're already on a game package.

Following the news this morning that Amazon-owned rental and streaming company LoveFilm are about to cease renting out games, TheSixthAxis has been told that if you’re already on a subscription that allows games to be posted back and forth you shouldn’t see any changes.

A LoveFilm representative told us that although from the 1st of July games rentals aren’t available to new customers signing up, “existing customers with a games package will be able to continue renting games until further notice.”

It’s not clear whether or not LoveFilm will continue to buy in new games to support the subscription, but given the numbers that’s likely enough.

“We will, of course, let you know of any changes to this,” said the rep.

Note that EuroGamer were told existing subscribers will lose the ability to rent games.

1. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Interesting to see how this pans out, given that customer service agents have told Eurogamer that it will end for existing customers next month.

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 11:20.
    • AngryLink

Well that’s my love film sub getting canceled as of next month, only reason I kept it was for games

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 11:23.
  2. philzy85

Will newly released games be available to those customers or will it just be current stock and thats it?

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 11:34.
    • philzy85

“It’s not clear whether or not LoveFilm will continue to buy in new games to support the subscription, but given the numbers that’s likely enough”

My eyes were blind to this paragraph it seems

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 11:35.
      • jimmy-google

GTA V is on their coming soon list which you can add to your rental list.

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 11:45.
  3. jimmy-google

I’ve sent them a rather snotty e-mail wanting clarity and asking why I’m having to find this stuff out from various website and not from them.

I also told them I’m cancelling if they’re stopping my game rentals. I’m still waiting to here back.

The way Lovefilm are handling this you’d think MS bought them not Amazon.

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 11:44.
    • jimmy-google

This is the reply I’ve got from Lovefilm a few minutes ago:

“We can confirm that, with effect from 1 July 2013, games rental will no longer be available to new customers signing up to our service in the UK. Existing customers with a games package will be able to continue renting games until further notice.”

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 12:47.
  4. hazelam

what’s weird is they still seem to be renting films on disc.
    they’re clearly phasing out games rentals, sooner or later this will extend to existing customers, but then why still send out movies on disc.

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 11:51.
    • jimmy-google

It gives them a slight advantage over Netflix in the UK and Now TV. If you’ve seen the films on offer on Lovefilm Instant you’d see they need to keep the film discs.

Lovefilm Instant is good for TV shows and that’s about it.

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 11:56.
  5. gaffers101
    Since: Oct 2008

I’ll keep my subscription running for now, I use it for games and films and there’s no point cancelling until I know their long-term plans.
    I wonder if this has been driven by Sony and Microsoft or the publishers? No need for a season pass if you can’t rent a game…….

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 12:13.
  6. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Official Statement..

“We can confirm that Games rental is no longer available as an option for new customers signing up to LOVEFiLM. Nor is it available as an option for existing customers who are looking to change their package.”

“We will contact all of our existing customers in the very near future to confirm our Games policy going forward.”

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 13:24.
    • jimmy-google

Doesn’t sound promising

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 13:46.
    • hazelam

which tells us nothing about what’s going to happen to existing customers.

have they learnt nothing from watching ms this last month?

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 17:50.
  7. samba987

Not had the loveflim games package for a while now, but back when I was a trophy hunter it was great, I must have saved a fortune in buying poor games just for trophies. In a good month (When they worked quick and not take days to send out discs) you could complete 10-15 games.

Lovefilm has been going down hill for a while though, A growing number of newly release films are being delayed for renting by 2 months or more, and which not being able to upgrade back to the games package, I my cancel my subscription to them.

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 13:26.
    • samba987

Also it would have been nice for love film to email existing customers about what will be happening and let them upgrade to the game package before it was to late.

Comment posted on 03/07/2013 at 13:28.