Sony Pushes Indie Gaming On Vita, July Looking Solid

Spelunky hits this month, and it's not alone.

The ad, in this week's MCV.
Luftrausers, Stealth B*stard, Lone Survivor, Spelunky – all out this month or next, and they’re joined by Velocity Ultra, Thomas Was Alone and Hotline Miami.

Whatever your views on so-called ‘indie’ gaming, that’s one hell of a line-up.

The ad, in trade magazine MCV, might not be terribly strategically placed, but it’s striking, and it’s been picked up by consumer press immediately anyway.

It’s likely Spelunky will also see its PS3 release in the same time period. If you’ve not played Spelunky, it’s pretty special.

The Vita’s getting a lot of indie love at the moment, we spoke to the man behind this recent revival recently, have a read about what he’s got to say right here.

Pic via VideoGamer.

1. bigbaldwolf
    Since: Mar 2012

I want news on Terraria that supposed to be coming. There’s literally been nothing since they announced it.

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 11:33.
    • KeRaSh

Yeah, I’m waiting for that, too…

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 12:47.
  2. Jim Hargreaves

Will probably get around to playing these at some point. The thing with indie titles is that I have no excitement for them prior to release. I’ll usually stumble upon them in a sale or through plus, play them, and actually really enjoy them.

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 11:38.
  3. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

<3 Vita

Had mine for just less than a week, fantastic machine & its amazing how passionate Sony are about filling its release calendar with fantastic games between the usual tentpole releases.

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 11:39.
    • bigbaldwolf
      Since: Mar 2012

You’ve only had it for a week? Where have you been?

Seriously though it is a great little machine and despite people saying there are no games for it. When you look at the library there are plenty of games and lots of variety as well.

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 11:41.
    • Klart
      Since: Jun 2010

Agreed. I love pretty much everything about it (the screen is amazing) and with the PS4 remote play coming up, it’s going to be the ultimate peripheral.

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 13:46.
    • Broonba
      Since: Mar 2009

Great to see that you’ve picked one up CC. ;)
      Hope you’re enjoying it as much as I do…..so many games & not enough time to play them. o_O

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 14:59.
  4. simplebob
    Since: Mar 2009

Good to see new Indy games coming along for the Vita, but I still would like to see more news of AAA titles coming to the system. I have Killzone on preorder and tempted by Tearaway, but I’m not sure what I’ll be looking forward to after those. Hopefully all the work with Indy titles will drive a few more blockbuster titles to the handheld and PS4/Vita interaction will be a bit stronger than with PS3.

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 12:34.
  5. Fruitbat1919
    Since: Feb 2013

I currently have 80 games for my Vita, including Vita card, Vita download, PSP, PS1, Minis and Mobile. Plenty more to buy too. All I want for Christmas Sony is a 64GB memory card….please….Please…….PLEASE……

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 12:36.
    • Fruitbat1919
      Since: Feb 2013

edit: not including Mobile games.

and I second the call for Terraria!

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 12:46.
    • Broonba
      Since: Mar 2009

Ya greedy git :p

I’d love a 64GB memory card for Vita too………although not before a PS4. :)

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 14:55.
    • TheDeathAvenger

Problem is I’d assume a 64GB card would RRP at over £100 :(
      If so you’d probably be lucky to get one for under £80

Comment posted on 05/07/2013 at 10:20.
      • TheDeathAvenger

Micro SD cards can easily be got for half that price.

Comment posted on 05/07/2013 at 10:22.
  6. matthangzhou
    Since: Sep 2010

I thought stealth bastard was renamed for playstation release?
    Also hotline Miami is amazing. Please buy everyone!

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 14:22.
    • Broonba
      Since: Mar 2009

It was…..Stealth Inc is it’s new name (I think anyway)
      I’ve got it on my laptop and can’t wait for it to hit the Vita as it’s an ace wee game. ;)

Comment posted on 04/07/2013 at 14:56.
  7. Kevatron400
    Drake, baby.

Vita + indies: perfect. Definitely my preferred game size for the vita (in scope and in GB!)

Comment posted on 05/07/2013 at 09:27.