PES 2014 Skipping Next Generation Consoles

No evolution soccer.

PES 2014 won’t be heading to PS4 and Xbox One later this year, effectively handing sales over to EA, who are bringing their football title FIFA 14 to the systems.

Marking executive Manorito Hosoda, speaking to CVG, cites the slow adoption rate of new consoles as the reason for the decision, saying “We’re not sure how quickly the uptake of the next generation will go”, adding that “before moving on we want to make a good game with the new engine.”

Some valid reasons, but it’s hard not to think FIFA’s dominance is another big reason – how many people would actually choose a next generation of PES over FIFA?

John Murphy, another PES representative spoke about how they’ve “been criticised in the past about producing a ‘next gen’ version when we weren’t ready”, referring to the poor PS3 port of the series, when they struggled to change the PS2 engine.

I think we want to be confident when we do bring something out and not in a position where people are criticising us for producing a sloppy, second rate port. We’re going to produce something that puts us back to where we should be in terms of quality.

Fighting words there; hopefully they can do the next generation of consoles justice with the inevitable PES 2015.

1. 3shirts

Fortunately EA don’t actually care about making quality games.

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 11:19.
    • tonycawley
      Pint! Pint!

Hey? This is an odd opinion. I can’t remember the last fifa that wasn’t utterly brilliant. What are you referring to when you say this?

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 11:28.
      • hazelam

around the launch of the 360 maybe, where they put out a poor, cut down versions of the fifa game.

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 13:08.
    • Joe

Since when has PES been the quality one out of the two?

Ridiculous statement buddy.

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 11:37.
      • blackredyellow
        Since: Mar 2009

PES was the better of the two back in the PS2 era. Since then they’ve been left behind in my opinion.

But yes, a silly statement to make!

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 13:13.
      • a inferior race
        I'm special

Pes was the best on ps1 and ps2

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 19:15.
      • Joe

I was talking more about current gen but point taken. I don’t know much about PES or FIFA on PS1 or PS2, I was always more of a ‘This is Football’ guy haha

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 21:59.
  2. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

Ultimate team has completely killed the competition between the 2. Between that and pro clubs, people rarely play anything else. I really can’t see many people at all going for pes because it lacks the 2 most popular game modes.

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 11:29.
    • blast71
      Since: May 2012

Master League still my favourite game mode. Each to their own.
      (not trying to get a PES v FIFA thing going, just saying ;))

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 19:27.
  3. DividSmythe
    Since: May 2012

I find this disappointing really.I was up for the change back to PES. As I’m only really planning on Ps4 games at the moment, apart from a couple of games. So it’ll be FIFA next gen.

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 11:58.
  4. bunimomike

If FIFA comes out in the first year of the PS4 then it has a potential install base of 12-14 million or so (assuming it waits to the last quarter of that year). If PES comes out on the PS3 around the same time it has an install base of 90-93 million which is a serious factor to look into when wanting to sell to the consumer.

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 12:09.
  5. leeroye
    Since: May 2012

Its probably a good idea given what a mess the PES games on PS3 have been. Its taken them what, 6 attempts now and its still behind FIFA. This from a former die hard PES/ISS fan.

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 13:37.
  6. gazo69

Also, there is no Vita version coming this year :(

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 15:44.
  7. XisTG

One thing is for sure, whoever does buy one of the two new consoles won’t be going back to the old one just for PES. I think.

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 15:58.
  8. BerackyWack

The last two FIFAs have destroyed PES. I have done midnight launches for both, with queues of a few hundred for FIFA and about 5 stragglers for PES. I think its the right decision to spend more time to develop it. Bring back the glory days of PES/ISS. Although now I think PES is just too far behind to catch up.

Comment posted on 17/07/2013 at 19:13.