Gearbox Remaking The Two Homeworld Games

Relic Entertainment's strategy games coming out again.

When Gearbox bought the Homeworld license from THQ, it always seemed like it was a good match. And now, thankfully, they’re bringing the first two Homeworld games back out again [via], albeit as “HD remakes”.

Gearbox paid $1.35 million for the IP back in April when THQ’s assets were sold off – there’ll be re-issues of the original PC games (which were first released in 1999 and 2003) on digital formats alongside the remakes, which are currently only being developed for the PC platform.

The remasters were announced at PAX Australia overnight.

1. zb100

Hell YES!

I’ve recently grabbed it to play on my laptop but may hold off now. Awesome.

All I need is a console remake of ELITE/Freelance & I’ll be a very happy bunny.

Comment posted on 20/07/2013 at 09:44.
    • f4rgo
      Since: Dec 2011

Ditto. Loved it first time around so will def be up for some retro space faring.

Comment posted on 20/07/2013 at 10:41.
  2. yiddo
    Since: Jun 2010

Get to work on Borderlands 3 please, Gearbox. Your other projects have been a little underwhelming – to say the least – in the last few years. Cheers :D

Comment posted on 20/07/2013 at 10:10.
  3. Nismo400R84
    Since: Aug 2012

I suppose the best way to test the water is a hd remake. If it does well homeworld 3 is a little closer

Comment posted on 20/07/2013 at 10:26.
  4. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Awesome!! I hope they’re just HD touch ups without gameplay changes, I never finished the first because I was hopeless at strategy games, but the story, sound and presentation were just sublime.

Comment posted on 20/07/2013 at 11:39.
  5. teflon
    Community Team

I’d be more than happy to indulge in a HD re-release here. Up those textures and poly counts, and leave the rest intact, please.

Comment posted on 20/07/2013 at 12:03.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

I’d be happy with a low-poly but sharply textured remake, there was something charming about those chunky little boxes flying around.

Comment posted on 20/07/2013 at 17:00.
  6. Greg Aldridge
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Oct 2008

Replayed the first game a few months ago. Would welcome an up-rezzed version, it’s a fabulous game with dated graphics. Be interesting to see if they could come up with a more fluid way of navigating your way through the 3D space, that’s the only thing other than the graphics that I’d like to see updated.

Comment posted on 20/07/2013 at 14:17.
  7. damoxuk
    Since: May 2011

Brilliant news. Homeworld 1 was jsut beautiful.

Addagio with strings playing to the beam weapons tearing up your Mothership :D

Comment posted on 20/07/2013 at 18:43.