Xbox One Controller US Price Revealed

No word for the rest of us.

The new Xbox One Controller finally has itself a price, thanks to updated listings on Microsoft’s own US store. We now know that buying extra controllers will set US buyers back by $59.99, the same cost as a DualShock 4, and a rise pretty much in line with inflation over the Xbox 360 Controller’s $49.99.

Although the controller has many new technological innovations, it’s still beholden to AA batteries and rechargeable battery packs, rather than having a battery built in to the controller. Microsoft’s own updated Play & Charge kit will cost an additional $24.99, or come in at a bundle with the controller for $74.99, or you can grab some good quality rechargeable AA batteries and save yourself a few quid.

That last option is a fair bit more appealing now, as the Xbox One Controller now features a standardised Micro USB port, which will handle data and power when the controller is plugged in. That trick manages to remove the need for a wired controller, makes life a lot easier when your batteries die, and should also make using the controller with a PC quite a lot simpler.

At the time of writing, the UK and EU stores do not have a prices yet, so we don’t know what exchange rate Microsoft will be using. Many UK retailers are playing it quite safe, with £1 deposits necessary at Game, or Amazon’s placeholder price at a whopping £89.99! Meanwhile, Shopto are betting heavily on Microsoft matching the DualShock 4 pricing, at £44.86.

Via Ars Technica, Microsoft Store US, UK.

Read more: # #
  1. Eldave0
    andUandU

Good news about the micro USB port. Given I used a wired 360 pad at the moment I will probably stick with wired next-gen too. Cheaper :)

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 10:32.
  2. Bilbo_bobbins

Still using AA batteries, christ almighty what a massive pain in the backside. That alone puts me off getting that console to be honest, you think they would have learned from their mistakes.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 10:48.
    • Kennykazey
      Since: Mar 2010

There is the advantage of an instant full charge when you swap them though. And if, like me, you make sure to always have a large stock of AA batteries it’s not bad.

I do prefer having an internal battery, but they degrade over time, scoring another point for the AA-Team. So it’s not all bad.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 11:02.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

I still use the same controller I got with my console back in 2007. I only use it when charging my Dualshock, but thats it. With Sony, you don’t need to buy extra acessories, they don’t degrade (mine hasn’t) and you can just plug in the USB cable and charge while you play too. That costs £5 for a longer USB cable if you want.

I don’t understand how the new Xbox One controller can even compete with PS4 one anyway, let alone having to pay extra for new headphone adaptors/batteries. Which has speakers/touch pad/internal battery/better sticks/headphone socket.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 11:06.
      • KeRaSh

I also think it’s ridiculous that they still use AA batteries.
        My 360 PC controller is the only device in my household besides my TV remote that still uses batteries and it’s quite annoying having to run to a shop to get more batteries if you ever run out and don’t have a few extra ones around.
        My PS3 controllers still last very long and I have them since the 80 GB phat model came out.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 11:35.
      • a inferior race
        I'm special

Mine have degraded quite badly from when they were new. I would like the controllers to come with a replaceable battery back.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 18:38.
      • MaD dOctoR 79
        Since: Dec 2010

batteries have a shelf life, and depending on where you store them, might not even reach that.

plus, it’s a hell of a lot more expensive to keep buying batteries, though there is the alternative of buying rechargeable, but then the cost of running some of those can be pretty steep.

also, won’t the addition of a mirco usb cause some problems/damage, as some people might try using it with non rechargeable batteries?

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 20:17.
  3. three_leg_jake
    Since: Aug 2011

Yeah, I quickly invested in a play&charge for the boy after he used about 472 AA’s in one weekend.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 11:48.
  4. Kris Lipscombe
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Mar 2009

Don’t see the issue with AA batteries. As has been pointed out you can swap in new ones without worrying about charging, and the ones I use seem to last ages. Bought a big pack (10 or so) of cheap ones in Lidl for a few quid and still have about half left.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 12:27.
    • leeroye
      Since: May 2012

I dont want to be forking out for batteries all the time, would much rather have a controller i can plug in and charge. Its just another way for MS to make more money by forcing people to buy extra peripherals at hugely inflated prices. Remember how much wireless adaptors for the original 360 consoles were – £70. When you could get the PC equivalant for a few quid. Same with HHD’s

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 12:56.
      • Kris Lipscombe
        Team TSA: Writer
        Since: Mar 2009

I think I last bought batteries in January, and they cost a few quid, it’s hardly all the time. Doesn’t really seem like a big deal to me.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 13:17.
      • KeRaSh

It’s a big deal if you run out of batteries on a Sunday just when you were starting to play that game that you were looking forward to playing for weeks…
        Happened to me once. Eff controllers that rely on AA batteries!
        The 25$ charging kit, which is a non standard cable and a pack of rechargeable batteries is just stupid if you ask me.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 13:26.
      • Stefan L
        Community Team

The Xbox One Controller uses Micro USB now. That’s one painfully annoying 360 problem gone.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 14:57.
      • MaD dOctoR 79
        Since: Dec 2010

Stefan are you sure it’s not their own version of micro usb? a lot of phones have their own versions.

plus, if it is standard micro usb…how can they charge so much for the play and charge kit?

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 20:32.
      • Adam Garrett
        Community Manager

@Mad Doctor All phones since 2011 in Europe and early 2012 in the US have used Micro USB as that was decided as the standard in 2009. It’s been a long time since everyone was using different connections. As for the Xbox controller I don’t know if it’s their own, but it would make much more sense to be the standard Micro USB.

Comment posted on 31/07/2013 at 00:58.
    • bunimomike

For me, Kris, it comes across as a bit unprofessional and a bit ill-thought-through. Why don’t they do it? The DS3 controller shows you how it should be done. No faffing about whatsoever. A full charge lasts hours and hours and you simply pop it on charge when you’re all done. Hell, you plug it into your laptop/PC (any USB port) if you need to juice it up when the PS3 is off. It really does feel like Microsoft trying to stiff you as oppose to offering “options”.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a complete drama but just a bit “oh… why are you doing this when you could be doing that?”.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 15:49.
      • Kris Lipscombe
        Team TSA: Writer
        Since: Mar 2009

I wouldn’t call it unprofessional or ill-thought through, both approaches have merits. I would imagine Microsoft’s approach keeps costs down (for them) and there’s the obvious advantages if the battery on your PS3 controller completely dies.

I’d also say I have plenty of faffing with my DS3 in regards to charging. Don’t have long enough cables to reach my sofa, and don’t think I’ve managed to get it to charge from a USB charger (rather than a PC/laptop). With my Xbox 360 I know I need batteries, so I have batteries. If the charge goes (which it rarely does) then I simply change the batteries.

As for play time, I’ve found that the Xbox 360 with AA lasts longer than the DS3, at least for me. That’s not empirical though.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 17:04.
      • bunimomike

So you could get a long USB charge cable for around £1 at http://www.kenable.co.uk (the most stunning website for cables) and be done with it all. You can play for a while with the cable knowing it’s then got a full charge for the future or simply charge it up and look after it like that (whether you charge it through the PS3 port like I do when the other controller is being used (one charging, one in use) or… if the PS3 isn’t on that much simply zap it into life with the laptop/PC.

Saying “if the battery on your PS3 controller completely dies” is like saying “I hope my mobile phone takes AA batteries in case the battery dies”. I’ve had five controllers in total and not one of them has caused a fuss. DS3 failure (no, we don’t count throwing them at the dog!) must be so ludicrously low it’s not worth thinking about.

The DS3 controller provides years of worry-free usage with hours of charge time at any given moment (assuming you can be bothered to charge the controllers!). :-)

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 21:16.
  5. leeroye
    Since: May 2012

Depends how long you spend with he controller. Those cheap batteries wont last more than 12 hours i wouldnt imagine, in which case me and my son would go through a pack in no time. Anyway how hard would it be to include a recharcable battery in the controller like most pads do these days, its just greed from MS.

Comment posted on 30/07/2013 at 14:23.