Battlefield 4 Runs at 720p On PS4, Dashes Hopes Of A 1080p Generation

Update: final resolution will be higher.

Battlefield 4 will only run at a resolution of 720p on PS4, upscaled to 1080p instead of running at the higher resolution natively. Good news, however, is that the game will manage to keep a “solid” frame rate of 60FPS.

So, it appears as though the PS4 won’t bring the jump up for all games to 1080p that we had expected, at least not at first anyway. It’s not a massive deal considering that the game is a cross generation title, but it is big enough to make a bit of a fuss about.

It was recently confirmed that Killzone: Shadow Fall would run at 60FPS in multiplayer, and that the exclusive first-person shooter will be natively 1080p.

Update: It appears as though Battlefield 4 is actually running at a higher resolution than 720p in the developer environment, and the final resolution will be decided when the game is optimised at launch, so 1080p seems more likely.

That’s not all, however, as IGN describe the visuals as “lacking” on PS4 and state that while it wasn’t quite running at 1080p, it was definitely higher than 720p for the demonstration.

Source: Twitter, via NeoGAF

1. HunterGatherer
    Banned
    Since: Jul 2013

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 23/08/2013 at 14:58.
  2. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

I’m not too bothered with it being 720 if it makes up for it with extra stuff going on in the background and ambiance etc.
    In fact, what I’ve experienced sometimes is a lot of the graphics look too sharp at 1080.

Comment posted on 23/08/2013 at 15:13.
  3. Tom Pitcher
    Since: Jan 2009

I would much rather have 720p and rich textures, higher framerates, than muddled but sharp textures and jittery movement. But of course in an ideal world I would like both. I’m sure later on they’ll work out little tricks to achieve this, but I’m sure they’re just trying to get the best experience for gamers.

Comment posted on 23/08/2013 at 15:14.
    • E8_BALL_
      Since: Jul 2010

I kind of thought with next-gen, both is what we’d get.
      To think I made a point of buying a 1080p tv, over 1080i for gaming lol.

Comment posted on 23/08/2013 at 15:37.
      • Starman
        Since: Jul 2011

Agreed, I didn’t think dev’s would be having to compromise with all the supposed power they have.

Comment posted on 24/08/2013 at 09:25.
    • Kennykazey
      Since: Mar 2010

With the amount of video memory in next gen consoles, texture-quality shouldn’t be affected by render resolution. Apart from looking better and more detailed at 1080p, if anything.

The framerate concern is valid, I too would prefer higher framerates. But I’d rather see developers reduce heavy graphical features over resolution.

Comment posted on 23/08/2013 at 18:07.
  4. uncharted86
    Since: Jan 2012

This is false if you look at twitter.com/repi (DICE developer)

Comment posted on 23/08/2013 at 16:27.
    • Blair Inglis
      hisnameisblair

I have updated the story :)

Comment posted on 23/08/2013 at 16:56.
  5. The Von Braun
    Since: Oct 2012

Sega prior to Dreamcast launch:All DC games will run at 60 FPS-Statement soon retracted.

MS prior to 360 launch:were going to show you an end to the era of Jaggies:1st flapship game i saw was Halo 3, Jaggies and 540P?

Sony prior to PS3 launch:PS3 can output 2X 108oP images at 60 FPS…you know where this is going, right….

Basically when i bought my PS3, i rented my 720P TV, which i still have, sat here in front of me, as i just knew, deep down, at best PSN games would be in 1080P and the ‘jump’ would’nt be enough to make me pay the extra, plus room not big enough for a TV big enough to appreciate it.does’nt look like i’ll be changing TV’s for this forth coming generation any time soon.

All i’m hearing is 720P this, 30 FPs that.

Welcome to the latest generation of diminishing returns from new hardware.

I started out with a ZX81, lego-like visuals, no sound, so each jump up until the PS2 era, offered something special, now it’s just more:detail, lighting, particle effects, but all at a cost of frame rate+resolution.

Comment posted on 23/08/2013 at 21:47.
    • Starman
      Since: Jul 2011

Spot on comment. Its feels more like PS3.5 than PS4, same for xbox too.

Comment posted on 24/08/2013 at 09:27.
  6. xdarkmagician

For games like BF that are online multi-player games its more important to get things solid before reaching for the stars. fps is more important during online play, so get a solid 32 fps at 720, then work for 60 fps at 720, then if theres enough power left, then add 1080. The last things you want while playing is lag, and if either the fps drop or the resolution starts to cause lag then you just ruined the players experience and your game. One shouldn’t fly too close to the sun while wearing wax wings. Personally I’m more concerned about EAs servers than I am if its native 1080 or not. The PS4 might be powerful enough to run BF at 60/1080p but I’m sceptical of how EA servers will handle BF4- I’m already expecting the old, “we underestimated the popularity of our product and the positive consumer reaction” response once BF4 goes live and the server issues start. But at least it sounds like they’re developing in the right order by running it at 60/720 and then aiming for 1080.

Comment posted on 24/08/2013 at 00:14.