Sony Detail Gaikai Plans - Launching Next Year In US, Coming To PS3 Too

Stream your games to your games machines.

In an interview with EDGE Online, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s CEO Jim Ryan has explained the Gaikai situation, stating that it will launch at first in North America in 2014 on PS4, before heading to Vita and even PS3.

He said, speaking about why Gaikai wasn’t talked about during Sony’s Gamescom conference:

Yeah sure and I’ll tell you why is wasn’t touched upon last night. So the plan is to begin with North America next year and the plan is to provide a streaming service that will allow for PS3 content initially to be streamed to firstly PS4 then PS Vita and then PS3.

Ryan went on to say “that will happen in 2014 in North America initially” before highlighting the poor broadband speeds in Europe, which he says is “on the roadmap” for Gaikai, though they don’t quite have a timeline for it yet. Since Gamescom is for primarily the European audience, that’s why it wasn’t mentioned during the conference.

He followed up that “there’s just a few bumps along the road that need to be ironed out” in regards to the European launch and that while it’ll be “early-ish” 2014 for the US, he has “nothing to say yet” on a date for Europe.

It’s a great interview in full, and he discusses Sony’s plan for “saving” the Vita, as well as the fun they had at Microsoft’s expense during the show.

Read more: # # # #
  1. DJ Judas
    Epic

I guess they can’t justify the cost for localised European servers if those that meet the minimum connection requirements are so few in number.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 17:29.
  2. Erroneus
    Wanted "Trophy Hunter" but was too late.

“the poor broadband speeds in Europe” …. it’s not that bad, there are European countries who has faster average speeds then USA and lots just only a little bit behind. The real challenge, is properly more to do with Europe being many countries, which means higher latency between countries, because of routing.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 17:29.
    • cam the man

There’s less folk online (% of population) than most of Europe so the servers shouldn’t get overloaded.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 17:43.
    • Khaliel
      Since: Oct 2010

Actually, average broadband speed in 2012:
      USA: 4.8 Mbps/user
      Europe: 17.6 Mbps/user
      Japan: 61 Mbps/user

I would like Gaikai to re-explain who’s the slowest broadband speed…

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 12:34.
  3. TSBonyman

It’s not something i’ll be terribly interested in tbh as i’ll be keeping my PS3 and library of games.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 17:37.
  4. Old School
    Since: Jan 2009

Poor broadband? My 120mbps day different.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 17:41.
    • Old School
      Since: Jan 2009

Say*

Edit button for us retards please.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 17:42.
    • Blair Inglis
      hisnameisblair

Yeah, not everyone has that though. I’m out in the countryside and I get 2/3mb, sometimes worse.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 17:43.
      • arrybags
        Since: Sep 2010

On a good day I get about 3Mb. Usually it’s 2Mb or less.

What’s frustrating is a mate who lives less than 3 miles away can get 100Mb

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 18:02.
      • bunimomike

Not just that, fella, but the UK is a swine (with cost) to wire up as we’re an island.

There are thousands of homes without broadband as an option; hundreds of thousands of homes without decent speeds.

I know the UK government is keen to sort this out but we’re missing the milestones they set out already and it’s early days still. Meh.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 18:13.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

I’m glad Jim Ryan has identified Europe as a poor broadband region, granted a good percentage have great 20Mbits or faster but I’d go as far asto say the majority of us don’t have access to it. Rural England is bad, most of us know this, and remote bits all across the continent have no choice but to make the best of ISDN speeds same as us living on old roads or in the sticks.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 20:20.
      • Loxstokk
        Since: Aug 2010

I get 0.5mb at best. The most frustrating thing is that homes 40metres away from me get up to 50mb! Grrrrr…

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 20:41.
      • Tom Pitcher
        Since: Jan 2009

Yeah I’m at 2MB/s on average too. Downloading games has been such a gripe in my life. The recent PS+ AC3 took me 3 days to download on and off (since if I’m downloading it rules out doing anything else like Netflix, online gaming etc). It’s sad because when I was at uni I had 30MB/s which felt ultra-fast for me.

Comment posted on 31/08/2013 at 23:33.
    • psychobudgie

120mbps if you are in a virgin cable area, otherwise you are likely to be fortunate with 8mbps over BT copper.

I have Virgin 120mb cable btw :P

Comment posted on 01/09/2013 at 12:10.
  5. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

I want to know more about pricing and what content will be available, although I doubt my internet will be able to handle it sadly.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 17:52.
    • tactical20

Same. My main question would be if there is any pricing benefit if you already own the disc?

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 18:17.
      • gazzagb
        Master of speling mitakse

I would definitely hope so, I really don’t want to have to buy games twice. If you did, I’d more than likely just lug my PS3 with me until I’ve totally finished everything the gen has to offer.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 19:11.
  6. HunterGatherer
    Banned
    Since: Jul 2013

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 18:16.
  7. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

So maybe 2015 for Europe then. Or 2016.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 18:29.
  8. hazelam

streaming PS3 content to a PS3?

what magic is this?
    ^_^

anyway.
    everybody kind of guessed it would be about streaming PS3 content, but what content?

will we be able to stream games we’ve bought off the store?
    just Plus titles?

what will it cost?

and there’s a lot of the US with poor broadband speeds as well, but of course they’re the most important market.
    so of course, despite playstations usually selling more in Europe than the US, they’ll always favour them.

still at least the console is releasing only two weeks after the US this time, rather five months, or however long it took, just long enough to redesign the hardware to remove components and pull that green screen crap again.

ahem.
    where was i?

oh yeah, still need more details about the service, but it has potential.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 18:57.
  9. MOVE
    Since: Mar 2010

So 2020 for the Nordic countries even though we have some of the fastest average speed per citizen in the world. Seems like Sony will continue their ridiculous segregation of Europe for the next generation of consoles as well.

Comment posted on 30/08/2013 at 19:38.
  10. HunterGatherer
    Banned
    Since: Jul 2013

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 31/08/2013 at 09:25.