Feature

Out This Week: Diablo III, Total War And Killzone: Mercenary

Veni Vidi Mickey.

With the last of the Summer months gone, many of us are already starting to feel the pre-winter chills amidst pangs of excitement. The next generation of gaming is little more than three months away but there is still a string of stalwart contenders to keep us trickling over. This week sees two of the biggest names in PC gaming return, one of which is ushering a new breed of evil into the living room with its long-awaited console port.

Diablo III | Xbox 360, PS3 | Tuesday

For the first time since Diablo on the original PlayStation, Blizzard’s much-beloved series is returning to home consoles later this week. To say this third, critically acclaimed instalment is a hit with the PC crowd would be an understatement; back in March it was reported that over 14.5 million unique users had played the game.

Players can expect just about everything they’ve seen and heard of the original version of Diablo III. Though the real-money auction house (one of the game’s bolder concepts) won’t make the jump -for obvious reasons- the series’ loot-driven brand of dungeon crawling will.

What we look forward to seeing most is how Diablo III has been adapted for the Dualshock 3 and 360 Gamepad. That, and the game’s heavily advertised local and online co-op.

Total War: Rome 2 | PC | Tuesday

Total War is another heavy hitter in the PC market, with its latest instalment, Rome II, looking to push the series ever forward.

Combing grand strategy with refined battlefield mechanics, it looks to be the definitive Total War experience. Expect to see navies and armies collide in huge hybrid battles scattered throughout a lengthy campaign.

Our very own Stefan has already had his fair share of elite Roman action, talking with The Creative Assembly’s Al Bickham and Jamie Ferguson, also sharing his thoughts on the first few hours of the game.

You can read our full review here.

Though not one for massive strategy games myself, the level of detail and visual spectacle alone have me transfixed. Whether it be skirmishes or colossal battles, players will be able to zoom right into the heart of the action and watch as units go at it full-pelt.

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse | PSN, XBL | Wednesday

Another game back from the past is this week’s Castle of Illusion. Lovingly recreated by the folks at SEGA, Mickey Mouse is set to make a return in full HD, more than twenty years after the game’s Genesis release.

Though players can expect some of the same classic platforming action, SEGA has often stated that this isn’t a one-for-one remake. Our review went live this morning and Aran deemed it as a good game, describing it as “a decent platformer which really does look great”, awarding it a 7/10 score.

Killzone: Mercenary | PS Vita | Friday

This is it. Killzone: Mercenary, the long awaited Vita FPS – and possible saviour – is nearly here. Will it be the AAA title that Vita owners are crying out for, or will it follow the footsteps of the poorly received Call of Duty: Declassified and average Resistance: Burning Skies before it?

Whatever the verdict, we’ll know tomorrow when the review embargo lifts. We’ll have an expansive review – covering both single player and multiplayer – of our own going live too, so keep an eye out for that. Judging by the recent multiplayer however, it’s definitely a well polished game.

What will you be buying? Are you the PC gamer kind, the handheld shooter aficionado, the dungeon crawler or even a Mickey Mouse fan?

1. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Very much looking forward to Killzone arriving!

Just checked the trophy list though, lots of MP ones that could be tough.

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 10:07.
  2. DJ Judas
    Epic

I put a fair-few hours into D3 on PC but I’m really tempted to pick it up again for local multiplayer.

I really want Mercenary too, but Persona 4 is taking up all my game time at the moment.

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 10:26.
  3. Dan Jones

Can’t afford to get Killzone when it comes out, but I’ll be picking it up not long after for sure.

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 10:44.
    • The Avenger
      Since: Oct 2012

Same here. Just tried the Beta which is helping my feelings on the issue. Hopefully they’ll be some TSA meets in weeks to come when I get it.

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 11:06.
      • Dan Jones

I’ve only played one match on the beta, and was kicked due to connection issues, so I think I’m going to wait for the full game before having another go.

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 12:22.
  4. RocketSOL
    Since: Oct 2008

Got Rome 2 pre-loaded on my PC ready for tonight and I’ve pre-ordered Killzone Mercenary too. It’s going to be a good week for games!

I would have bought D3 as well but I’ll be waiting for the PS4 version instead.

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 10:47.
    • Adam Garrett
      Community Manager

I thought Rome 2 unlocked at 8am today? Should be ready to play!

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 11:50.
      • RocketSOL
        Since: Oct 2008

I’m at work :(

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 12:07.
  5. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

Can’t believe you missed off Farming Simulator 2013!

Seriously though I’ll be getting DoA5U and probably Killzone.

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 11:01.
  6. boyinastairwell
    Since: Jun 2010

Killzone Mercenaries for me. Been playing loads of the beta and just hope that the full game is as good. I’ve preordered it from a well known online retailer who have a reputation of shipping preorders early so hopefully I’ll get my hands on it in the next few days!

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 11:16.
  7. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Killzone is downloading on psn, hope it accidentally unlocks & I play it early lol

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 11:24.
  8. TSBonyman

I’m looking forward to KZ Mercs but it will have to wait until i’m done with Resistance BS first – or i might never go back to it after the KZ experience i’m anticipating!
    I’m tempted to pick up Diablo III , but this month is choc-full of equally desirable games… Rayman Legends, Puppeteer, GTA V… so it’s going to be a struggle to get everything..

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 12:35.
  9. Jones81
    Since: Mar 2010

I’ve playing Diablo 3 on PS3 solo since Saturday and it is excellent, some of the most interesting classes I’ve ssen in a game like this and very addictive gameplay

Anybody else plan on getting it?

My PSN id is jones_81 if anyone is up for some co op, will probably set up a few meets for it aswell

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 13:59.
    • samiro05

I will add you but I don’t expect to be anywhere near your level. Currently a level 5 witch doctor but will spend more time on finishing one piece 2 this evening.

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 17:34.
      • Jones81
        Since: Mar 2010

Ok cool, I don’t mind starting a new character for co op. I plan to have several on the go at the same time anyway. Good choice, the witch doctor is a great class

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 18:14.
      • zb100

I picked it up too – haven’t had a proper chance to blast it yet though.

Comment posted on 05/09/2013 at 19:38.
  10. Eldur
    Since: Nov 2012

Review embargoes really worry me. Why can’t people know what your game’s like BEFORE it goes on sale? It seems like an obvious ploy to dupe uninformed punters into buying a much hyped game before they can realise it’s rubbish…

I really hope this isn’t the case with Killzone.

Comment posted on 03/09/2013 at 17:48.