Feature

What We Played #123: GTA V, The Wind Waker HD & GTA V

The one where Trevor's a bit of a joker.

What We Played

Let the speculation begin as amidst watching lots of Veronica Mars Stefan has been playing something that he can’t name and will only describe as “boaty-licious”.  River Raid HD anyone?

Tuffcub meanwhile, in what’s mostly a repeat of last week, has been playing Candy Crush Saga, Killzone 3 and The Walking Dead: 400 Days.  The absence of the “ANNOYING KID” in the latter is still a cause for celebration.  Dishonored has proved to be “quite a disappointment” for him but not to the extent that Saints Row IV has been:

It looks TERRIBLE.  Seriously nasty.  Top tip for developers: If your game looks rough already, do not add stupid “digital scrolling” effects to the walls, I can hardly see what’s going on.

The first of our number to have been playing GTA V is Peter who’s been using it as an escape from fixing up his new house.  ”A few minor frame rate issues aside, I absolutely love it”, he tells me, “There’s loads to do, even after completing the story mode but my favourite thing is often to just drive around the city looking at things.”

DanToo’s take on GTA V is “it’s amazing”.  On the flip side he has been suffering from motion sickness while playing it, but “after fiddling with a few settings” that’s been ameliorated enough for him to be able to enjoy playing.

Apparently some character called Trevor reminds him of Jack Nicholson’s turn as the Joker so he’s dressed him in a purple and green suit.  Dan also reckons that GTA V is a very strong contender for his own personal game of the generation award.

Overwhelming was Aran’s first reaction to GTA V but having persevered he says that he’s “loving the world now and it’s a massive improvement over IV”.  Killzone: Mercenary, “a brilliant bit of fun”, and Little King’s Story, “a fun title” have also been keeping him entertained although unsure of where to head next he’s “just grinding and finding treasure” in the second of those.

Blair’s initial GTA V experience “was quite cold and we had to wait for an hour”.  Though to be fair that was just the midnight launch he attended.  For his troubles he won an upgrade to the Special Edition which warmed his wee Scottish heart, bless him.

As for the game itself, it’s great although I’ve not had much of a chance to play it and when I have, all I’ve done is drive and fly around. I’ve completed several missions, all of which have been fun and I love the multi-protagonist mechanic; switching between them only to see them in the middle of something makes it feel like a real, persistent world.

Before his queue in the frigid north he finished playing through The Wind Waker HD to get his review completed.  TL:DR, “I absolutely loved it, pure nostalgia and the upgraded features make it the best Zelda game yet.”  Lastly, the “good fun” Angry Birds Star Wars II and its interactive figurines have ignited a hidden desire within him, “I love figurines.”  Quite.

Any of you not played GTA V this week?

1. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Platinum spec ops: the line, not going lie I broke a controller with frustration of dying so many times but after that platinum popped up, a tear rolled down my eye. It’s up there with the best of best plats on my list, the god of wars.

Been playing GTA meh! That’s all

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 10:11.
    • freezebug2

Never be tempted to use your Vita as a second controller *shudders*
      That’d be too harsh. :P

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 10:18.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

Lol imagine that, I won’t ever use vita as a controller otherwise it won’t see the light again

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 10:47.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

How does it compare to World at War, ‘Heart of the Reich’ on Veteran? ;)

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 10:41.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

I haven’t played at war but spec ops is not hard, it’s all about patienc

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 10:43.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

Lol silly iPhone cut me off, it’s not that hard, it’s just unforgiving if you not patience & your partners are useless & you die most times cause of them & the armoured soldiers hard to kill.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 10:45.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Oh ok…I’m tempted to play it (time permitting)!

If you do decide to play W@W. be sure to cover/wrap your controller in something bouncy ;)

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 11:01.
      • hornet1990
        Since: Mar 2011

Lol, W@W veteran and Killzone2 on elite are my benchmarks for measuring game difficulty. W@W especially, I almost embedded the controller in the TV no end of times! The grenade spam was just unreal…

KZ2 elite I’m stuck on the second part of the final boss battle where it unlocks the upstairs. For the life of me I just can’t make it past the last wave of fast moving troops they send (just before you have to deal with snipers IIRC).

One of these days I’ll go back to it and damn well get that gold trophy!

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 11:18.
      • Avenger
        Since: Oct 2012

I remember that one. It was a bit annoying, all those grenades and ‘perfect’ and almost ‘psychic’ shots…

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 12:18.
      • JR.
        Since: Apr 2013

If someone gave me a pound every time I said the F word during my playthrough of WAW on Veteran – I’d be a billionaire. Managed to get past the Flak88′s on chapter 14 and make it to the front steps of the Reichstag but called it a day for fear of my health.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 13:05.
      • blackredyellow
        Since: Mar 2009

Yep, W@W was pretty horrendous! The toughest I’ve played, but perseverance always pays off.

I’ve started my FUBAR run on Spec Ops, and hope to complete it this month, GTA permitting! Youles, I’d recommend you start it – it’s not one to miss mate.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 15:19.
  2. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Although I have (obviously) played GTA V, I have also played The Walking Dead on Vita (on chapter 3), a bit of Black Ops 2 MP which is still shite, but I am determined to get back to level 55. Luckily it’s Double XP this weekend so I can play half the amount of games needed as I’m almost there!

I also played a few of blackredyellow’s LBP levels.

I tried a couple of demos…Castle of Illusion and Rayman Legends demos. I didn’t think either were particularly great.

I need to go back to play some Killzone Mercenary as it deserves to be played, but it’s so hard when GTA is so good….just one more misson….

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 10:39.
    • hornet1990
      Since: Mar 2011

Must admit despite playing GTAV exclusively I don’t have that compulsion to go straight into another mission when I finish one, and have no problem calling time on the session… unlike with RDR. Whether that’s a case of the story just not gripping me, or a world with so much else to do I don’t feel the need to rush the story I can’t say for sure just yet.

I’ll take a break with the blops2 double xp w/e and see how I feel about GTA when I return to it :/

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 11:10.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

It’s the opposite for me….I think that because I’ve spent so much time “messing about” in previous GTAs I don’t seem to have the urge or desire to climb the highest mountain or search for secret weapons/vehicles, and previous experience has taught me that side/errand missions can get repetitive quickly! I’m just really enjoying the story and dialogue, Lamar had be laughing out loud a few times. And since doing my first heist I’m eager to do more of those. It also seems that the main missions seem to enable access to other things such as buying Properties etc. I think once I’ve got some money I’ll be more likely to mess about with cars, mainly modifying them! I guess that’s the great thing about it, you can play it your way and as such appeals to people in their own way or playing style! :)

Feel free to hit me up on PSN if you fancy a few games of Blops2!

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 11:18.
    • blackredyellow
      Since: Mar 2009

Thanks for playing those Youles. One step closer to those community trophies, and the Plat!

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 15:21.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Pleasure mate…how many more plays do you need? I could always play them on my other profiles if you want!

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 15:23.
  3. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn…and Heavy Rain with my wife. Absolutely enjoyed the gameplay and story. A few moments had a massive amount of tension (the wicked doc scene with Madison was played by my wife and at the end when she completed it with success, she yelled at me: “I’m not touching the game again!”, after a few minutes: “OK, my turn now!” ^^).
    Really well done David Cage. Beyond: Two Souls got me now interested.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 10:46.
  4. jimmy-google

Just killzone Mercenary for me on vita a little fifa 12. I do have splinter cell blacklist to play now.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 11:21.
  5. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

I played a bit of Ico HD on Monday then a lot of GTA from Tuesday onwards. I never had a high expectation for the game, I’d've settled for a new story with exactly the same gameplay at IV, but I’ve been surprised by the beautiful and lively environment, excellent character switching mechanic and hilarious characters and story. It’s a very refined experience and I have no complaints!

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 11:51.
  6. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

GTA V and a tiny bit Puppeteer (3D seems half decent at first, but once some lighting effects kick in it’ll burn your retinas.) on PS3, Mass Effect 3 on Wii U.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 12:06.
  7. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

Been playing Moto GP 13 and Killzone Mercenary on the Vita. Both have good online and offline modes. A bit surprised to see the extra contracts in Killzone are repeats of the same campaign mission but with extra goals. I was looking forward to a more Socom/unit 13 style of things instead with those side missions.

Also started a little of Ninja Gaiden which I’m quite enjoying and also nearly finished Urban Trial Freestyle which I love. Hope they bring out a second one; brilliant stuff.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 12:22.
  8. Jones81
    Since: Mar 2010

What settings did you change on gta dan?

i’vw. Oticed a weird kind of smearing effect on the graphics when driving, also get some annoying flickering type thing with the edges of objects like buildings and railings

Can’t work out if it’s my telly settings or something I need to change in the game menu, or if whether that’s just how the game is?

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 12:28.
    • Jones81
      Since: Mar 2010

‘i’ve noticed’.

Stupid fat fingers

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 12:32.
  9. tactical20

GTA5 and it’s just as brilliant as I always knew it would be! :-)

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 13:06.
  10. yiddo
    Since: Jun 2010

I played GTA V, GTA V and a little bit more of GTA V.

I’ve completed two thirds of the main missions now, so I’m gonna take a break from them so I do not finish the story quickly. I’ll do some of the strangers and freaks missions, and I also will try and discover more nuclear waste in the ocean – as that is easy money.

I’ve done 3 heists now I think, and about to do a 4th. Money is still extremely hard to come by though, I mean, some of the properties you can buy range from 2 million to 150 million dollars. Ridiculous!

The game is bloody fantastic though, and it’s the most alive open world I have ever experienced without a doubt. Nobody else in this industry makes an open world feel truly alive and breathing like Rockstar. I also love the random events, I got a guys BMX back for him the other day and he emailed me the next day saying I have $100,000 of stock in his company AnimalArk for helping him.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 13:07.