Watch Dogs Delayed Until Spring 2014

Wait Dogs.

Ubisoft have delayed Watch Dogs until Spring 2014, with the development team wishing to “deliver something that embodies what we wanted to see in the next-generation of gaming” and the decision coming after months of deliberation.

We know a lot of you are probably wondering: Why now? We struggled with whether we would delay the game. But from the beginning, we have adopted the attitude that we will not compromise on quality. As we got closer to release, as all the pieces of the puzzle were falling into place in our last push before completion, it became clear to us that we needed to take the extra time to polish and fine tune each detail so we can deliver a truly memorable and exceptional experience.

It’s a good enough reason for the delay, as our recent interview highlighted creative director Jonathan Morin’s passion for the game, and it’s clear they truly want to create the best experience, rather than delaying for monetary or porting reasons as with Rayman Legends earlier this year.

What will be interesting is to see what happens with the official Watch Dogs PS4 bundles – surely Sony have started making the boxes? Whatever the case, there’s one less next generation launch title now, where will you be putting your Watch Dogs money?

Source: UbiBlog

Read more: # #
  1. tactical20

Oh no! Was really looking forward to playing this over xmas. Had picked this, AC4 & FIFA as my launch games. Wanted quite lengthy games to play as I’m guessing PS4 games are gonna be full price for a long old time. Dunno what I’ll get instead? Maybe Battlefield, but didn’t really enjoy Battlefield 3 much. Balls. This sucks balls!

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 17:23.
    • tactical20

Just looked over the day one release sheet again, and don’t think I’ll get anything to replace Watch Dogs.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 21:54.
    • DarkLord
      Since: Oct 2013

Word on the street is that it’s the Xbox One version that’s holding things up. The complexity of getting the engine working on the ESRam is proving to be problematic, it’s noticeable that’s it’s lagging the PS4 version. Microsoft have forced Ubisoft into delaying BOTH versions, rather than releasing an inferior Xbox One version.

Sad to see that Microsoft’s money is ruining things for Playstation gamers this generation too.

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 22:28.
  2. TSBonyman

Bollox, Watch Dogs was my most anticipated launch title. Just as well i preordered the KZ mega bundle but i don’t see anything else on the launch roster that i really want, apart from a few indie titles which i will download from the store.
    I am glad they are putting the extra effort into the next-gen version all the same but it’s very disappointing that it won’t be available at launch.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 17:33.
    • hornet1990
      Since: Mar 2011

Same here. This, with KZ, was supposed to see me through till easter when I’d have destiny and the crew. Now easter is looking a little crowded and one of them will probably have to give.

I cancelled my BF4 preorder as after the beta I’m not confident it’ll be relatively bug free or even remotely balanced at launch. But what to get instead of watch dogs now? Nuts!

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 17:47.
  3. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

People who were on the fence about jumping into the next gen may definitely think again now. Watch Dogs was one of the few games I was geniunly interested in for next gen, even if I was going to get it on PC.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 17:38.
    • boeboe
      Since: Feb 2013

I disagree, the console alone has so much hype just as a new box of tricks along with the fear if you cancel you might have to wait a bit should you change your mind. I think France’s are all taken until 2014.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 18:05.
      • gazzagb
        Master of speling mitakse

You can’t deny that Watch Dogs was a key launch title for next-gen, but I guess it depends on whether people think there are other launch titles still worth playing. That said, there are loads of other great games launching, but I still think it may have a small impact.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 20:32.
  4. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Wasn’t expecting this but I’m glad they’re taking their time with it. It wasn’t one of the titles I was picking up at launch so i’m not too mad but i’m sure there will be a lot of people out there who will be pretty pissed at this news. There’s always Knack I suppose. I would have gone for a Knack bundle over the Killzone one.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 17:48.
  5. pdannysan13
    Since: Mar 2013

probably polishing and an important factor I would say is ‘open-world games fatigue’. think of GTA V and after that Assassin’s Creed IV….a lot of games to lose yourself in.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 17:52.
  6. bigchrissyc
    Since: Aug 2013

That was going to be my launch game. Might have too switch to Killzone now. Or NBA 2K14. At least we will have Driveclub at launch. Unless thats delayed!

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 17:58.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

That’s what I’m doing (switching to Killzone)! I must be the only person who is happy about this….I got an email from ShopTo today offering me the Mega bundle, but I was gonna decline (due to lack of funds) as I’d opted for the DEDSEC edition of Watch Dogs and the Hardened Edition of CoD: Ghosts as my release games. But now I can afford to accept it since Watch Dogs has been delayed, yay for me!!!

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 21:19.
  7. Vallon
    Since: Sep 2013

Wonder if the 30fps thing kicked up a fuss? Be interesting to see what the delay brings. I can wait there are plenty of other launch titles I’m interested in.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 18:02.
  8. jimmy-google

I saw another article which had a quote from Ubisoft saying as its an official bundle they would have to do something about it.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 18:13.
  9. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Better to have a great game later, than a good one at launch I guess. Was planning on getting this along Killzone, now there’s only FPS games left so I might actually get CoD or Battlefield at launch. DriveClub is free, and Knack can wait until the draught. Although these delays may counter any post-launch dry-period.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 18:14.
  10. BULLofDOOM
    Since: Feb 2013

Take your time, make it better, both consoles are not short on good games at launch. Such a game deserves to be the best it can be and I would rather it not be a release (shoddy) now patch later title, enough of those this last gen.

Comment posted on 15/10/2013 at 18:29.