DualShock 4 Being Sold Early, First Unboxing Videos Go Live

What's in the bo... oh, a PS4 controller?

Some stores in the US seem to be selling DualShock 4 controllers early, and YouTubers have got their hands on them. It comes in clamshell packaging, which is often notoriously hard to, well, unbox but it just lifts straight off once the box has been opened, so there’s no worry of cutting your hands while you hack away at it with a blade.

A USB charging cable isn’t included, but you should have plenty of them – Micro USBs that is – lying around, and if not then you’ll be able to buy one for very cheap.

I love the controller – it’s a massive improvement over the DualShock 3, with great thumbsticks and excellent triggers which just sits in the hands perfectly.

Source: 2PixelWide

Read more: # # #
  1. Bilbo_bobbins

I read somewhere that the connection for the charging lead is actually different to the current ps3s? It’s micro instead of mini usb? Is this correct, if so it means you need a different lead.

Comment posted on 23/10/2013 at 11:27.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

Yep, it’s Micro USB.

Comment posted on 23/10/2013 at 11:33.
  2. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

Bit silly not including the cable even if the B-type cable is easily accessible. Open the packaging and oh wait, how does one charge it. I’m complaining over something simple I suppose, but really how is it meant to fully function out of the box with no means of charging.

Comment posted on 23/10/2013 at 11:31.
  3. AnimaOnline
    Since: Mar 2010

The cable is included with the console.

Comment posted on 23/10/2013 at 11:32.
  4. DJ Judas
    Epic

Yep, the micro-usb cable comes with the console. Additionally, most people who have bought a non-Apple electronic appliance that was produced in the last 2-3 years will have a micro USB cable knocking about.

Off to search for average Joe’s who’ve plugged it into their PS3 other than the ComputerBild guy.

Comment posted on 23/10/2013 at 11:42.
  5. TSBonyman

I’m eager to get a hands-on with the new controller but i guess i’ll have to wait until my own unboxing on the 29th, maybe i’ll pop into the shops when they have a PS4 display set up.

Comment posted on 23/10/2013 at 11:58.
  6. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Well, it was revealed before the system itself so I guess it’s only natural for it to be released first too… Still seems a bit silly though.

Comment posted on 23/10/2013 at 12:32.
  7. Tarbun84
    Since: Feb 2012

I’m liking the size. My only gripe with the DS3 was how small it felt with my paddle hands. The triggers look suitably bendy now too.

Comment posted on 23/10/2013 at 12:37.
  8. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

I didn’t realise micro USB existed, but like DJ Judas implied those of us who buy a lot of Apple products are sheltered types! Anyway, the controller looks great, very classy bit of kit, ill be getting one for my laptop before I hopefully get hold of a PS4 in the new year.

Comment posted on 23/10/2013 at 13:01.
  9. SpikeyMikey23

Not had a chance to hold one. I used to buy those Giotek triggers to clip on to R2 & L2. Without them, the DS3 just seems strange now.

Not long left to wait!

Comment posted on 23/10/2013 at 14:43.
  10. DarkLord
    Since: Oct 2013

Cue barrage of complaints about a 20p lead not being bundled. At least there is a hdmi cable to have clustering up your home this time around.

Comment posted on 24/10/2013 at 23:31.