PS4 FAQ Provides Answers And Limitations - No External Hard Drives Or Video Transferring

Oh, and no MP3s either.

A massive PS4 FAQ has just went live over on the PlayStation Blog, and a lot of it treads old ground. So, we’ve went through it and rounded up all of the new, but it’s well worth a read in case you’ve missed anything.

ps4faq1

Firstly, you won’t be able to connect an external hard drive in order to expand your storage on PS4, and along with that you won’t be able to play MP3 files or audio CDs on the system, either – you’ll have you use Sony’s Music Unlimited subscription service for background playing of music.

In terms of video settings, there’s a bit of good news, as you won’t have to reset (done on the PS3 by holding the power button down) these settings to change TVs or resolution. 3D will also be supported, “though no launch titles are currently 3D compatible”. So, does that mean Resogun won’t be 3D as previously hinted at?

They’ve confirmed that PS4 games will be cached to the hard drive, rather than installed fully “to ensure a smooth gaming experience” as we reported this morning. However, you won’t be able to install from a disc and then buy a download version to activate that data – a download will still be required.

ps4faq2

If you want to keep all of your trophies and friends – of which you can now have up to 2000 – you’ll have to keep the same ID, though you’re able to display your real name too, and can import your Facebook photo to be used as your PSN profile picture.

There won’t be any custom Dynamic Themes as there are currently on PS3, but the browser will be “faster and more compatible than the browser that comes with PS3”.

Sony are remaining vague on whether you can access and buy PS4 digital content through a different region of the PSN – for example the US store – by saying “We recommend that people buy from the PlayStation Store in the region in which they signed up in order to ensure the best experience and customer support.” but nowhere denying that you can.

ps4faq3

Unfortunately, editing video content will be strictly limited to the PS4 system, which currently only allows you to trim the video to your liking. And then you won’t even be able to upload it to YouTube, as the Share button will only support Facebook for distribution. It does sound as though they’re finalising plans for YouTube however, as they say to follow the PlayStation Blog for further news on services to come after launch.

And there’s also an interesting bit about the Vita – a forthcoming software update will allow for automatic downloads of subsequent software updates, as the PS3 and PS4 do.

You can read the full FAQ on the PS Blog.

Read more: # #
  1. Spence1115

Lack of audio CDs they announced ages ago, but no DLNA? For gods sake, my phone, my TV, everything has this build in now, why couldn’t you shove it on the PS4 as well Sony? I don’t use it much but its very handy when I do use it, and some rely on it for their media centres.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:06.
    • Spence1115

Right, so DLNA needs a licence, like DVD playback, and MP3s etc. So I’m guessing the reason why you have to go online for DVDs and Blurays the very first time is to activate the licence so Sony don’t pay it for everyone (cost cutting, like how on the original Xbox you HAD to buy the remote as that covered the licence fee cost). And I’m also guessing that the reason for no audio CDs, MP3s or DLNA was to avoid those licence costs as well.

Again, I’m purely speculating, but doesn’t it sound possible? I mean yes, MP3s and CDs are also probably for the Music Unlimited subscription, but when you take into account DLNA, DVDs and Blurays, it seems like it could well be the case.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:13.
      • yd
        Since: Mar 2011

Those fees aren’t huge though, are they? Not compared to the £349 cost of the PS4 itself. But I guess a couple of quid extra could make a big dent in the profit (or add to the losses on the hardware).

Couldn’t they sell support for all those things separately though? It’s been done before.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:37.
  2. Spence1115

One thing I did notice that I DO like in this screen of disappointment:

Is it possible to output all game audio through DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s 3.5mm headset jack?
    Yes, you can select the Output to Headsets option to either ‘Chat Audio’ or “All Audio.

Good! I can stop trailing a headphone cable across the floor!

And also:

Is it possible to charge a DUALSHOCK 4 controller via my PS4 when I’m not playing?
    Yes, you can charge DUALSHOCK 4 controllers when PS4 is in stand-by mode. However, in Europe, PS4 users will need to navigate to Settings, then Power Save Settings, and enable the Supply Power from USB Ports option.

They have to be off by default in Europe? Odd restriction, the Xbox 360 doesn’t do that.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:18.
    • hazelam

i think the 360 needs to keep the USB ports powered because MS sell wired pads, if they don’t have power you can’t turn the system on with them.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 08:34.
  3. Yahavage
    Since: Apr 2010

Guess I’m lucky, I have my PC connected to my TV downstairs so all my playback is through that. I’ve used the PS3 for a few 3D blu-rays but that’s it. Never streamed anything to it and don’t see myself needing to do so with the PS4 so hasn’t affected my day-one purchase!

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:31.
  4. Vallon
    Since: Sep 2013

What’s the betting VITA TV has this functionality? ;)

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:39.
  5. RudeAwakening
    Since: Jan 2011

No Audio CD’s, I never copped that announcement, I use my PS3 for all my audio cd’s as the ps3 is hooked up to my surround sound, I actually can’t believe this.

Why are they not allowing audio cd playback, this is crazy it’s been there since the PS1 days. If it is to get more subs for thier bloody music unlimted, that is low!

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:52.
    • FluBBa

CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray all use different laser wavelengths, you can build support into one laser head but it’s easier to use different lasers for the three formats, though it brings with it a cost.
      It’s hardware thing.
      MP3 or AAC playback on the other hand… *grrrrr*

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 08:55.
  6. TSBonyman

Disappointed about the lack of cd, mp3 and media server support but the first thing i will do with the browser is check to see if Grooveshark works. Hopefully they haven’t ‘gimped’ the browser in that regard.
    I won’t be using Music Unlimited – not even if there is a free trial.

Funny thing is they’ve just recently enabled media streaming on the Vita.. :?

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 20:03.
  7. lambchop
    Since: Aug 2013

not playing CDs or MP3s is shit, as I’m definitely not paying for a music unlimited sub just to play music as I have a perfectly good NAS stuff with music I’ve already payed for.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 20:53.
  8. OnlineAssassinOA
    Since: Jun 2012

None of this bothers me as I don’t listen to music while gaming only the game soundtrack,like to concentrate on what im doing in game dont get people who come on things like cod and battlefield with music blasting in background,and if I want to listen to music Ill just use my surround sound blu ray or other devices,also I don’t stream stuff between devices and not being able to use external hard drives doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 20:58.
  9. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

No mp3 support sucks massively. It’s a huge step back, especially with no DLNA either.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 21:05.
  10. james123
    The Ginger Ninja

Do we know if its like the 360 and that EVERY game has to have a demo?

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 21:09.