PS4 FAQ Provides Answers And Limitations - No External Hard Drives Or Video Transferring

Oh, and no MP3s either.

A massive PS4 FAQ has just went live over on the PlayStation Blog, and a lot of it treads old ground. So, we’ve went through it and rounded up all of the new, but it’s well worth a read in case you’ve missed anything.

ps4faq1

Firstly, you won’t be able to connect an external hard drive in order to expand your storage on PS4, and along with that you won’t be able to play MP3 files or audio CDs on the system, either – you’ll have you use Sony’s Music Unlimited subscription service for background playing of music.

In terms of video settings, there’s a bit of good news, as you won’t have to reset (done on the PS3 by holding the power button down) these settings to change TVs or resolution. 3D will also be supported, “though no launch titles are currently 3D compatible”. So, does that mean Resogun won’t be 3D as previously hinted at?

They’ve confirmed that PS4 games will be cached to the hard drive, rather than installed fully “to ensure a smooth gaming experience” as we reported this morning. However, you won’t be able to install from a disc and then buy a download version to activate that data – a download will still be required.

ps4faq2

If you want to keep all of your trophies and friends – of which you can now have up to 2000 – you’ll have to keep the same ID, though you’re able to display your real name too, and can import your Facebook photo to be used as your PSN profile picture.

There won’t be any custom Dynamic Themes as there are currently on PS3, but the browser will be “faster and more compatible than the browser that comes with PS3″.

Sony are remaining vague on whether you can access and buy PS4 digital content through a different region of the PSN – for example the US store – by saying “We recommend that people buy from the PlayStation Store in the region in which they signed up in order to ensure the best experience and customer support.” but nowhere denying that you can.

ps4faq3

Unfortunately, editing video content will be strictly limited to the PS4 system, which currently only allows you to trim the video to your liking. And then you won’t even be able to upload it to YouTube, as the Share button will only support Facebook for distribution. It does sound as though they’re finalising plans for YouTube however, as they say to follow the PlayStation Blog for further news on services to come after launch.

And there’s also an interesting bit about the Vita – a forthcoming software update will allow for automatic downloads of subsequent software updates, as the PS3 and PS4 do.

You can read the full FAQ on the PS Blog.

Read more: # #
  1. DarkLord
    Since: Oct 2013

SO what was the point of all those consumer surveys, if the PS4 media support is so way out of kilter with what users expected?

I certainly didn’t expect a downgrade of my PS3 media experience.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 21:16.
  2. DJ Judas
    Epic

No DLNA? What?! This is a serious blow for me, I watch pretty much all media through my PS3 via DLNA….I know I should never assume, but I thought DLNA support was pretty much a given, I mean why wouldn’t they include it?

The first pretty big wrong step Sony have taken recently in my book, hopefully they’ll be open to correcting it.

I don’t want my PS4 to be a trojan horse for Sony’s media offerings.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 21:54.
  3. RudeAwakening
    Since: Jan 2011

PS4

It Only Does Games.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 21:57.
  4. TSBonyman

Yoshida has responded on twitter..

“Thanks for the feedback to the lack of MP3 and DLNA support at the launch of PS4. I’ll share with the PS4 Dev team for future consideration”

.. hopefully not too far into the future, i’ve just realised i can’t even transfer my game soundtracks to PS4 – and there would be no game soundtracks for PS4 games either.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 22:33.
  5. pdannysan13
    Since: Mar 2013

Not letting you play your own music….? That is just unfair. If I payed for my music, through another service, I can’t use them ?
    That is just the wrong way of thinking.
    Everything was looking so good. I know they want to push their music services but this is not the way.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 22:36.
  6. cam the man

Not that bothered about playing my music on PS4 (unlike most folk on here it seems) as I don’t use the function on PS3.
    I hope Resogun is 3D as Stardust was one of the best games in 3D on PS3.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 22:45.
    • TSBonyman

I use that feature regularly, ‘auditioning’ my new cds before ripping them to my iTunes library – and ever since the Earth visualiser was added i haven’t yearned for any other backdrop whilst listening to music. Thank feck i’m keeping my PS3.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 23:16.
  7. Mr Maverick UK
    Since: Feb 2013

Wtf Sony? You guys were all about audio/music long before Playstation and now you are being half tasted about it. I won’t use Music Unlimited and want MP3 / AAC playback! Hope this gets patched.
    Still, 900p yeah ;-)

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 00:16.
  8. arrybags
    Since: Sep 2010

Perhaps the music is a copyright issue. With the share button it could cause artists music to be uploaded. With Music Unlimited Sony have control to some degree of what is being played and certainly have the rights for it to be streamed.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 07:40.
    • psychobudgie

I’m cutting them zero slack on the decision. Its simply an attempt to force users to pay an additional premium for their own locked in services. DLNA is also missing from the Vita despite being advertised as a launch feature which casts doubts on the tweet from Yoshida. The move is a simple return to past form as Sony attempt to turn themselves into a gaming equivalent of Apple.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 08:00.
      • stormy
        Since: Apr 2010

Agree with that. Never really needed it on the Vita but the PS3 media is probably a good percentage of my usage. If it doesn’t get added to PS4 I won’t be getting one and will upgrade my PC.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 08:19.
  9. psychobudgie

No DLNA, no MP3, no Sale. Mind is made up, I’ll be spending my money on upgrading my PC. Can sell my Vita also now as was keeping it for the PS4.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 07:49.
    • Matthijs

Really? Were you planning on buying a console to play mp3 files and use (if similar to ps3) broken DLNA cos of lack of codecs?

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 13:36.
      • psychobudgie

If your DLNA server doesn’t transcode then it is your choice of server that is broken.

My console use is 50/50 with media and I have no interest in having multiple boxes under my TV to replace the PS3 functionality so yes, I would rather spend the £400 on upgrading my PC than buying a PS4 if it’s media capabilities are limited to the point of being missing.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 14:46.
  10. hazelam

no CDs and no MP3s?
    just to force a music unlimited sub on the users?

excuse the language, but, fuck that noise.

if they don’t patch in support then i’ll just have to resort to having my 6 year old ipod next to me while i play on the brand new PS4.

hopefully they’ll see sense and patch it in by the time i can afford one.

seriously, they finally add universal custom soundtrack support, then tie it to their music subscription service.

one step forwards, two steps back.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 08:53.