Battlefield 4 Is Unplayable On Xbox 360 4GB Slim Models

Unless you buy a Slim hard drive.

EA has announced via the company’s help website that Battlefield 4 is not playable on the 4GB Slim model of the Xbox 360, despite the game requiring only a 2GB install. Apparently this is due to the data being unable to be saved on the console’s flash memory.

Battlefield 4 cannot be installed and played on the Xbox 360 slim model’s 4GB internal flash drive without an additional hard drive with a minimum of 2GB of space available. Hard drives are sold separately for the Xbox 360 slim, Arcade, and Core models.”

The blog post also details the fact that USB storage is not an acceptable form of data storage either, instead only an official Xbox Slim hard drive being the preferred storage device, which can range anywhere from £30 to £70.

This doesn’t seem to be a problem on the 12GB PS3 which also has a flash memory.

Source: EA

1. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

Wow, bit of a mess up somewhere along the lines by somebody. There’s going to be a fair few peeved people.

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 18:35.
    • DarkLord
      Since: Oct 2013

Microsoft’s poorly planned fragmented model lineup strikes again.

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 19:02.
  2. hazelam

not the first game to not work on a 4GB 360 is it?
    GTA V wouldn’t play on one of those would it?

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 19:15.
    • Vallon
      Since: Sep 2013

GTA V install is like 7.8gb so yeah.

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 19:21.
    • Aran Suddi
      Since: Sep 2011

As long as you had a USB stick or external hard drive you could install to that. BF4 does not allow storage to those devices.

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 19:41.
  3. beeje13
    Since: Jan 2010

The flash memory must be not as fast as the 360 HDD spec… A corner cut by MS?

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 19:31.
  4. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

Would any serious gamer be managing with only 4gb memory? I think not.

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 20:24.
    • Tom Pitcher
      Since: Jan 2009

That’s not really the point. The draw of console gaming is that you just pop the disc in and play. No upgrades, or additional accessories required.
      I guess it’s just about tolerable being this late into the console’s cycle but still it’s a bit of slap in the face for anyone who owns a 4gb xbox and wants to play (god forbid) and Xbox game on it.

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 20:58.
      • Starman
        Since: Jul 2011

If you’ve only got 4gb memory then you’ll already know you’re very restricted on what you can play on it. Yes I agree that part of console gaming’s attraction is the simplicity but I really doubt anyone has actually bought BF4 with on a 4gb memory.

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 23:54.
  5. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Oh dear, I hope refunds are being graciously handed out to those affected, that’s not the sort of news you want after having tried unsuccessfully to play a well hyped big release.

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 21:16.
  6. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

Is this on the box?

I sure hope it is.

Comment posted on 02/11/2013 at 23:14.
  7. lucas89
    Since: Dec 2013

I just got BF4 and NFS:Rivals and can’t play them both….I mean, I guess I could see the req. 2GB on both packages, but I have a 8GB USB stick that used to work with the games…..Microsoft was all: Pfft they aren’t buying our products? Let’s give them the ” An xbox 360 HDD is required ” message so we HAVE to buy another product from them…( Which in stores…only a 320GB slim HDD is available and it’s $129.99 – The value of the entire consol )So I’m stuck with buying a 120GB HDD for xbox 360 slim that’s not by Microsoft….It was $50 and it better work with these games…Or else *dum dum dummmmm* PS4…..Or should Sony have been my first choice?

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 14:20.