Jimmy Fallon Plays PS4

"I could play Pong all day"

Jimmy Fallon invited Dr. Richard Marks and the PlayStation 4 on to his show last night and gave the augmented reality game The Playroom a good kicking – quite literally.

The clip begins with Jimmy taking a close look at the controller before Dr. Marks releases the robots and chaos ensues.

Source: YouTube

Read more: # #
  1. yd
    Since: Mar 2011

One thing about all the videos of PlayRoom confuses me every single time.

Flicking your drawing (possibly of crudely drawn body parts) off a tablet or phone.

It probably makes perfect sense in a normal situation, but when you’re looking at a video of it and all you can see is the PS4’s output, it looks wrong. You see someone flicking something towards you, and then it appears and flies away from you.

It just does something weird to my brain that I can’t process. It looks all wrong. Obviously, if you were stood there in front of the TV, it probably looks right. But when you can only see what would be on the TV, it looks weird.

Probably just me. Nobody else get confused by it? Probably why I try and avoid mirrors too.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 12:00.
    • OneShotWook
      Since: Jun 2010

Sounds very much like a depth perception issue caused by sight problems.I suffer similarly and wear contacts now.I hope i’m wrong Yd but eye tests don’t take long these days.
      Good luck.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 12:52.
      • yd
        Since: Mar 2011

No, it’s not an eye problem. It’s just a weird brain issue when you’re only seeing half the picture (the bit on the TV and not the person standing in front of the TV).

Made worse in those Playroom videos by seeing things appear from the real tablet (in front of the TV where you can’t see it) rather than the image of the tablet on the TV.

I really do also get confused by mirrors. Shaving causes lots of fun. Even though mirrors don’t work the same as cameras.

I’m just odd. No problem thinking of and dealing with things in 3 dimensions (or possibly more, but it’s never come up) until you put people into the equation. Then my brain goes wrong.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 13:11.
  2. Adam Guest
    Since: Apr 2010

The camera should be in every box, this looks like classic Christmas morning tomfooley.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 12:13.
    • yd
      Since: Mar 2011

That would drastically reduce the massive price advantage Sony have over MS though.

But then there’d be more reason for developers to actually take advantage of the thing if everyone had it.

Although really, what are they going to do with it that would be fun for more than 10 minutes?

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 12:22.
    • boeboe
      Since: Feb 2013

Add a bit of booze into the mix and a couple of old people…

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 13:16.
    • TSBonyman

They could have also offered the mega bundle with different games but i guess the price was more important.
      I wonder how many mega bundles were made available as it seems to have been a popular choice.

Ah, xmas morning, memories of my dear old mum playing that Kung Fu game which came with the PS2 Eyetoy.. such fun :)

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 20:03.
  3. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

I’ll make sure to get a camera early next year, that looks brilliant. At least it’s a good way to entertain non-gamers and alike.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 12:31.
  4. gaffers101
    Since: Oct 2008

I spent some time on The Playroom at Eurogamer it’s really good, family fun.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 12:55.
    • cam the man

Def good family fun. When my 9yr old niece saw a vid of Playroom she begged me to get a camera.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 13:38.
  5. boeboe
    Since: Feb 2013

haha that was great!!

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 13:14.
  6. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Fantastic! You can’t buy publicity like that! Actually you probably can, whatever, it was still very impressive.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 14:49.
  7. TSBonyman

That was a fun clip and good PR for Sony but i think i’ve seen everything that’s on offer with Playroom at this point – unless they’ve held something back – but i think Pong at least will get a regular play.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 19:50.
  8. Vallon
    Since: Sep 2013

Playroom is really just a freebie tech demo, sure its just a gimmick but shows some of what will be possible with the camera and lots of potential gaming opportunities :)

Good PR for Sony

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 23:15.